PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Weather Proofing

tracyrick
12-08-2006, 05:32 PM
I keep thinking about this but no one seems to fully address the issue.

Car is a Subaru Impreza. Question is, does water enter the inside of car doors from outside? If so, what part insides gets affected? Should I be wrapping some type of baffle around the back of my speaker?

My speakers are installed in the normal way. Can water enter in between the most external panel and the first internal panel where the speaker is mounted to?

If it does, I suppose my speaker magnet area is exposed to this. There are also vents around the magnet that open up to the inside of the speaker.

hatemonger
12-08-2006, 05:41 PM
I keep thinking about this but no one seems to fully address the issue.

Car is a Subaru Impreza. Question is, does water enter the inside of car doors from outside? If so, what part insides gets affected? Should I be wrapping some type of baffle around the back of my speaker?

My speakers are installed in the normal way. Can water enter in between the most external panel and the first internal panel where the speaker is mounted to?

If it does, I suppose my speaker magnet area is exposed to this. There are also vents around the magnet that open up to the inside of the speaker.

i've never had a problem. i'm not sure what the strips on both sides of the window are called. the felt type stuff that keeps the space on both sides of the window covered. anyway, i doubt much water could get in there, unless you hose down the inside panel.:dont:

T3mpest
12-08-2006, 10:44 PM
water in door is fairly common, some people buy the baffle things on PE and cut out the backs.

tracyrick
12-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Any other opinions on this? I want to see if it's common to just leave the speaker alone, or to try and protect it with something (baffle), thanks.

PepsiFiend69
12-16-2006, 12:58 AM
had this problem in my car, i figured i just had a leaky door and didn't feel like pulling off all the sound deadening and figuring out where the leak was...

so kickpanels for me it is. :)

leonsv
12-16-2006, 02:40 PM
make sure the plastic seal thing on the outside of the window actually works, that keeps water from going into the door, oh and you can always get a mdf speaker baffle...

PepsiFiend69
12-16-2006, 03:48 PM
make sure the plastic seal thing on the outside of the window actually works, that keeps water from going into the door, oh and you can always get a mdf speaker baffle...

MDF+water=death

leonsv
12-16-2006, 05:07 PM
MDF+water=death

lol, put some candle wax/non hardening clay on it maybe;)

Thieroff
12-16-2006, 05:10 PM
You'll go thru as much trouble to find and seal a leak as you would to build kicks

plus you dont want to seal the doors completely anyways, water will pool in there

May as well spend a couple of extra hours and build kicks, or door pods

CT

danz24
12-19-2006, 11:51 PM
If you buy like a speaker protector, wouldn't that affect the rear wave assuming someone has a speaker pad behind