PDA

View Full Version : Help with aux in on DVD player?

powerlabs
12-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new here; my local car forum (NASIOC) couldn't help me with this question so I figured I'd try the pros ;)
My objective is to integrate my old notebook computer with my car. For this I bought a cheap DVD player with a fold out screen: the JENSEN VM9311TS (great unit BTW, I'm really happy with the purchase!).
Now the problem is that when I connect my S-Video out (its a skinny headphone like jack with 3 cables coming out of it, and a red, white and yellow plug in the other hand) to my notebook and to the unit's Aux In, all I get is a black screen with white lines dancing around in it. I know the head unit is wired properly because if I connect it to a portable DVD player I can get image and sound. But despite all my attempts I can't seem to get an image from the computer to play in it. I spent half an hour with the guy who installed the unit trying to figure it out but we are both stumped.
Does anyone have any ideas of what I could try to make it work?

Calikid
12-07-2006, 11:33 PM
press and hold Fn then press F5 something should pop out see if that works.

champaned_out
12-08-2006, 08:58 PM
press and hold Fn then press F5 something should pop out see if that works.

its different for all laptops but Fn + one of the F# should switch over to the screen
look through your F1-F12 buttons.. there should be pictures on each one
for example mine would be Fn + F4.. theres a picture of a moniter/laptop which switches the image over

powerlabs
12-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I know that; I can get the computer to output a signal, but the head unit doesn't recognize it :(