PDA

View Full Version : pionner avic-n2 vs other gps?

FergieFurg
12-08-2006, 12:24 AM
i heard the avic-n2 has an inaccurate gps system, so i was wondering if its worth just getting a normal dvd player setup and getting a gps seperate. what gps systems are accurate and cheap? and are there any which you dont have to pay monthly for?
thanks

PremierAudio
12-08-2006, 10:53 AM
THe GPS is not inaccurate.. Ive tested all of Pioneers nav units and they are all spot on. They may not have all of the roads though, if that is what you are talking about. You can though save money and get a single din dvd player, then get a seperate gps unit from garmin.

LinxuS
12-08-2006, 11:21 PM
I've heard of other people having problems, but i've never had a problem with mine. Others say that sometimes it might make you get off an exit and then get back on for some reason... But it will almost always get you to your destination.

It's pretty accurate besides that. I've never had a problem with mine, and they basically have 3 checks for the GPS

A gyro that detects turns / which direction you are facing, and acceleration etc...
A tap into your vehicles actual speed via the VSS.
And the antenna to make sure you're actually where you are.

Although some of my destinations weren't quite the quickest, i've only, at most, lost about 3 or 4 minutes because it took a different route than expected. I'm quite happy with it to be honest.

I think Kenwood has really good navigation too, and is supposed to be better than Pioneers. I can't recall where I heard this, so don't take my word for it as the truth. I can only tell you about the AVIC-N3 from my own experience, and the N2 from a relatives experience.

FergieFurg
12-17-2006, 11:09 PM
since everyone always complains about how bad it is for a good sound system, is it still bad even if you have the speakers and subwoofer amplified from different amplifiers and not the head unit?
thanks

p.s. how is the avic-n2 on its ipod capabilities?

GaresTaylan
12-18-2006, 04:08 AM
I used to have the N1 and liked it. Only problem is, like any GPS, sometimes they take you down the most retarded roads when there is a far easier route to get somewhere (done this as a test). Had me drive about a mile up a hill into a residential once to get to a McDonald's in New York and when we got to the 'destination' we could see the mcdonalds about 3/4 mile down the road at the bottom of the hill.

02parkave
12-19-2006, 12:12 PM
i dont think that the n2 has ipod controls....

monkeyboy
12-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Yeah, it's not perfect, but it has always gotten me there.

IPOD support is horrible on the N2, the N3 is light years better. I am looking to have my N2 modded to a N3 chip so I can have the upgraded IPOD control.

Louisiana_CRX
12-19-2006, 12:20 PM
I've had good luck with my Pioneer navigation units overall....One good thing is they are extremely easy to bypass...bad thing it voids the warranty....

explorer2
12-19-2006, 07:04 PM
I've heard of other people having problems, but i've never had a problem with mine. Others say that sometimes it might make you get off an exit and then get back on for some reason... But it will almost always get you to your destination.

It's pretty accurate besides that. I've never had a problem with mine, and they basically have 3 checks for the GPS

A gyro that detects turns / which direction you are facing, and acceleration etc...
A tap into your vehicles actual speed via the VSS.
And the antenna to make sure you're actually where you are.

Although some of my destinations weren't quite the quickest, i've only, at most, lost about 3 or 4 minutes because it took a different route than expected. I'm quite happy with it to be honest.

I think Kenwood has really good navigation too, and is supposed to be better than Pioneers. I can't recall where I heard this, so don't take my word for it as the truth. I can only tell you about the AVIC-N3 from my own experience, and the N2 from a relatives experience.

The kenwoods have a very good nav system, made by garmin I think.

FergieFurg
12-19-2006, 10:58 PM
is it worth getting the n3 instead? and how to you bypass the n3? or you cant? and what do you think of that dvd/nav combo kenwood system compared to it?

matrxx dude
12-19-2006, 11:08 PM
eclipse makes some good ones

GaresTaylan
12-20-2006, 03:31 PM
To bypass the N3 I think there is a sticker that you peel off and flip a switch. Once the sticker is off though, its bye bye warranty.