PDA

View Full Version : Extra tweeters to go with my comps andů.How?

ryanbssc29
12-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Just as the title says, if I wanted to buy components with additional tweeters how would I do that? Would I have to buy a 5channel amp to run my comps for the front, extra tweeters for the front, and the coaxials in the back, or could I run the additional tweeters off my head unit. Or would it be easier to just buy two sets of comps, and instead of putting the tweeters in the back with the component from the back, put it in the front?

azbass
12-07-2006, 08:06 PM
why the need for extra tweets?

closedcasket7
12-07-2006, 08:06 PM
just get a good set of components for the front and coaxials for the rear, no need for extra tweets

azimuth
12-07-2006, 08:10 PM
expensive dog whistle.

ryanbssc29
12-07-2006, 08:15 PM
why the need for extra tweets?

No pratical reason, just wanted to know how you would do it. It is something that my friend is doing with JL XR comps for the front, JL XR coaxs for the rear and an extra set of JL XR tweeters for the front, but he can't explain how to do it b.c. he buys them and gets the instaled by the local JL dealer, and pending the price I might do it.

azbass
12-07-2006, 08:17 PM
they wire em in to the other tweet/s . but that is stupid. and can change x-over points. etc.

so dont wast the time or money on somthing with no pratical reason like you said.

ngsm13
12-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Precisely.

Don't be a stupid h00d ninja.

nG

AVSTANG02
12-07-2006, 08:27 PM
well he could just get a seperate crossover and power them seperately..

more tweeters will not help you.

ryanbssc29
12-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Yea, I think I'll stick to my idea of getting JL XR comps for the front and JL XR coaxs for the back, and keep it simple. Then maybe later ill uprade to more tweeters.

AVSTANG02
12-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Yea, I think I'll stick to my idea of getting JL XR comps for the front and JL XR coaxs for the back, and keep it simple. Then maybe later ill uprade to more tweeters.

what kind of car is it?

ryanbssc29
12-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Ford Explorer

enzowho
12-07-2006, 09:13 PM
The only reason I can think of adding a second set of tweets is when you are running silk's down in kicks. In a friend's install he put some up on his A-pillars crossed over at about 8kHz. Helped bring the sound stage up. He ran everything active then split the tweeter output into two input channels.
For most any other application an extra set of tweets is going to cause major problems. They cannot be added to your existing crossovers as this will change your crossover point. Additionally, when you have multiple drivers reproducing the same range you will have constructive/destructive interference (ie cancellation). The sound stage is also going to be harder to reproduce.

Back to the original question though. You can do it by switching to active or buying additional crossovers for your tweets.

ryanbssc29
12-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Yea think I'll just run the comps front and coaxs in the back off an amp, and that will be enough.

lubetek
12-08-2006, 01:13 AM
I'm running extra tweets off of upstage modules. Works killer and brings the front stage up in front of the windshield.

I'm running silks down below with my comps and silks up on the dash angled towards the windshield and across the dash towards the other side. I can not even begin to tell you how awesome it sounds.

I'm running four crossovers between the upstage tweets and comps.

KARLEON
12-08-2006, 01:19 AM
wow, shows u how much i know about audio. I was about to do the very same thing as this guy. Even already had the extra tweets. my reason though was because at high volumes, the sub bass drains out the tweets. I didnt want to lower the bass on my subs because, well i love bass. But now since i know thats a no no, i'll just stick to what i have

lubetek
12-08-2006, 03:38 AM
if done right there is nothing wrong with it.

Notwerk
12-08-2006, 06:11 AM
The problem is that more often than not, it's very difficult to do right and quickly becomes a disaster. In almost EVERY case, it's a crutch for poor install. When you need upstage tweeters, it probably means you should have spent more time playing with the placement of the tweeters you already have. Now, I understand some people can't (because of leases, etc.) or don't want to tear up a car for complicated fabrication, so things like upstage kits have their place. But like I said, it often turns into a garbled mess.

96GTIVR6
12-08-2006, 06:12 AM
Dood... my sub baszors drown my tweetzors and I totally don't need more of dem mids, just more of dem tweetzors. My jeezy is not sounding as goodd. Seriously I need more tweetzors, I def. cannot just wire them in parallel either... must get a 5 channel amp because god knows having the extra set of tweets wired mono will make my car sound better... And help my imaging! for sheezy.

96GTIVR6
12-08-2006, 06:15 AM
Seriously though your JL solution will totally fix everything! good job trouble shooting on your own. JL is the best they make my car sound way better I can run like a 1.5 channel amp and it makes my car sound better. 1 channel for the fronts and .5 channels for my subz.