PDA

View Full Version : how would this be for a home theater?

espguitarist91
12-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Well, i bought a cadence xsub-12 off ebay about 2 years ago. I want to upgrade. It gets plent loud, but it sound like complete crap. I keep reading these good reviews on the clarity of it, i dont know what im doing wrong:uhoh: Anyways, im going to use the plate amp it came with. Its either 300 or 350 watts, ive seen different at different places. Im thinking of going with one of these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-470
Ill be building a ported box for it. The classic 8 ohm version says about a 4.5 cu. ft box. I think a 5 cu. ft. box tuned to about 25 or so would be good. Just want some opinions. I was going to go with four 8's, but id just like 12(s) or 15(s), especially for the LFE demands of movies etc.

IamDeMan
12-07-2006, 06:57 AM
I highly doubt the classic dayton will sound better than the Cadence did. Not to mention the displacement will leave you begging for more.

This would be more suitable. Of course it costs more, but worth the money over the classic.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?PartNumber=295-190&raid=46&rak=295-190

espguitarist91
12-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Really? I thought they were ideal for home theater applications. I put one 12" dayton shielded($40) in my friend home theater and it was fine. I thought this would be fine. Thanks for the opinion. I dont really have that much to spend, so i have to think about it.

espguitarist91
12-08-2006, 08:02 AM
anyone?

T3mpest
12-08-2006, 08:14 AM
8.5mm isn't a long stroke, but in a large ported box I think you'll still have good frequency extension. I'd try it, for the price it can't be that bad.

joetama
12-08-2006, 08:58 AM
I think that you would be severely disappointed in the output, going with the 12". For home theater, unless you are totally limited by budget, it's usually good to get something rather beefy. The LFE channel usually has some rather low frequency data on it, hence the need for a more low end powerful sub woofer. That 15" that IamDeMan recommended would be better to go with than the 12".

espguitarist91
12-08-2006, 04:47 PM
would this be any better? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-560
I have another option also. I do have some infinity perfect 12.1's. I can use one in a big ported box. Im not sure what results i would get though. My budget is pretty tight considering i still have to get box building materials. I also can do two 15" regular 8 ohm dayton classics, but those look less inmpressive than the 4 ohm's (ex. 4.3 x-max)
Well let me know what you think. I dont want amazingly loud bass, just something nice to start getting some decent HT components together.
also mach 5's are an option, but i think those just get loud without doing too good in the SQ dept.

adio
12-08-2006, 07:27 PM
get a 12" dayton dvc. the same that iamdeman recommended but smaller

espguitarist91
12-09-2006, 02:32 AM
how would that compare to an infinity 12.1? im thinking of building a box for it, but i want to make sure it will be worth it since its about 1o degrees out.

PV Audio
12-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Go with the DVC 15, it's an astounding sub for the money.

espguitarist91
12-10-2006, 01:51 AM
hmm sounds like its worth it. Guess it will have to wait a while. I was also thinking about doing one mach 5 mj18. Do you think the 12" DVC will be fine, or should i just get the 15"?

skmfkr
12-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Go with the DVC 15, it's an astounding sub for the money.

my dayton titaninc mkIII is the best sounding sub ive ever heard, i thought about using it for an HT setup altho i never got into that kinda stuff, i would highly recommend some dayton subs for HT

espguitarist91
12-10-2006, 01:23 PM
yea, they make great products. Ill probably save up for the DVC or the quattro. Im slowly building uo my home theater with decent components. After i get my reciever for x-mas, im going to be making a box for the sub, and DIY bookshelf or floor speakers, depending on my budget. But for both projects, ill most liekly be using Dayton products.

brandontw
12-10-2006, 01:56 PM
i have a regular infinity 1230w in my HT, and its plenty of sub for me. Its in a 2cube ported box, with only like 150 watts going to it, and it takes care of the low end quite fine. i dont even have it up very loud...

espguitarist91
12-10-2006, 02:26 PM
How does it sound on music? on movies?

IamDeMan
12-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Really? I thought they were ideal for home theater applications. I put one 12" dayton shielded($40) in my friend home theater and it was fine. I thought this would be fine. Thanks for the opinion. I dont really have that much to spend, so i have to think about it.Yes Daytons are geared towrd home use. However the Classics are the bottom line for them and have very little displacement. They will leave you wanting more. the Quattro only has a minimal amount more of displacement over the classic. Just do the DVC or don't bother. Honestly

bri487
12-10-2006, 03:24 PM
I think that you would be severely disappointed in the output, going with the 12". For home theater, unless you are totally limited by budget, it's usually good to get something rather beefy. The LFE channel usually has some rather low frequency data on it, hence the need for a more low end powerful sub woofer. That 15" that IamDeMan recommended would be better to go with than the 12".

i ordered a velodyne 12" SPL series woofer with 1000 watts on it a while back. it wasnt in stock so i had the 10" until it came in. i was actually extremely happy with the 10" the deepest, richest, fullest sounding bass i have ever heard in a home. and it is super clean bass. no lag whatsoever, clean and quick note shifts. the room it is in is a terrible design as well. i never went back and picked up the 12", i just kept the 10".

espguitarist91
12-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Yes Daytons are geared towrd home use. However the Classics are the bottom line for them and have very little displacement. They will leave you wanting more. the Quattro only has a minimal amount more of displacement over the classic. Just do the DVC or don't bother. Honestly

I suppose ill get the DVC or use one of my perfects. I was thinking of using some classics for floor speakers though. In one of the PE projects, he used a classic 8" and said it sounded great. Would they be okay for that?

IamDeMan
12-11-2006, 06:46 AM
I suppose ill get the DVC or use one of my perfects. I was thinking of using some classics for floor speakers though. In one of the PE projects, he used a classic 8" and said it sounded great. Would they be okay for that?
absolutely. The classics work good as a midbass driver in a 3-way cabinet. I just wouldn't use them as a dedicated sub.

espguitarist91
12-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Ok, sound good. Thanks for your help. Im thinking of making my own 2 way crossover, so what would be a good point for a dayton classic either 8" or 6-1/2"? Ill likely be using the dayton 1-1/8" tweeter, which claims to play down to 1,800 hz
thanks

IamDeMan
12-11-2006, 01:03 PM
I think the 6.5" would match better in a 2-way setup if using a dedicated sub already. I would more than likely set the point a bit higher like 2,5khz-3k.

espguitarist91
12-11-2006, 04:36 PM
wow, i didn't think it had to be that high. Thanks for all your help. Im definitely going to look into building some speakers. It seems like you know quite a bit about home audio. Do you have any experience with x-over design and construction?

PV Audio
12-11-2006, 09:03 PM
my dayton titaninc mkIII is the best sounding sub ive ever heard, i thought about using it for an HT setup altho i never got into that kinda stuff, i would highly recommend some dayton subs for HT
I can vouch for that. My mkIII 15" is still going strong after years of abuse.

IamDeMan
12-11-2006, 09:28 PM
wow, i didn't think it had to be that high. Thanks for all your help. Im definitely going to look into building some speakers. It seems like you know quite a bit about home audio. Do you have any experience with x-over design and construction?

I am still a noob myself. Just been diving into it deep since I moved into my new house. You will need to talk to some others in here about crossover design. Thats one area I still have to grasp well. I think PV has made a few maybe get some info from him.

dvrmstrng
12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
would you be willing to sell your current sub, plate amp, box combo?

espguitarist91
12-11-2006, 09:42 PM
I need the plate amp for whatever im going to use as a sub. I think im going to make a low tuned box for my infinity. Id imagne it will sound pretty good and get loud enough. If anyone knows about crossover design and would care to help me with some questions i have, please PM or IM me. Thanks:)

ballstothewall
12-11-2006, 10:14 PM

Screw x-over design/construction, just go full active... :)

espguitarist91
12-11-2006, 11:06 PM
budget:)

ballstothewall
12-11-2006, 11:59 PM
budget:)

Define "Budget" :)

espguitarist91
12-12-2006, 12:02 AM
DIY budget:)
well, i think im going to get the pioneer 7.1 receiver thats 199.99. Seems like a nice receiver for the money. For the speakers i plan on using Dayton classics which are very cheap. And im not so sure about the crossovers. If i had a design that i could just buy the parts to and follow, it would be fine. I cant design them though. So my budget is tight.

ballstothewall
12-12-2006, 12:16 AM
DIY budget:)
well, i think im going to get the pioneer 7.1 receiver thats 199.99. Seems like a nice receiver for the money. For the speakers i plan on using Dayton classics which are very cheap. And im not so sure about the crossovers. If i had a design that i could just buy the parts to and follow, it would be fine. I cant design them though. So my budget is tight.

Look on the Parts Express showcase and see what you like and just model them.

espguitarist91
12-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Yeah i guess thats what i have to do, its just some are crazy complicated. If i use 8phm speakers with crossovers meant for 8 ohms speakers, will the final load come to be 8 ohms?