PDA

View Full Version : HDTV issues...

CapzNCoilz
12-06-2006, 02:32 PM
I made a post before about getting direct tv...that is still pending (install is next week)

but i found out today my cable provider has 5 channels in HDTV that they offer for free.

When I turn the channel to the HDTV channel all I get is snowy static...I try changing the tv to antenna to cable but both give me static...

The cable provider says I have to have a hdtv with a built in hdtv tuner and im positive I have that
tv: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-50-DLP-trade-HDTV-HL-S5087W/sem/rpsm/oid/148573/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

but why can't I get the stations? she seems to think it's my TV...but I don't know what else to do...

joetama
12-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Hmmm not sure....

But my opinion is who cares, you are getting the dish anyway!

CapzNCoilz
12-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Well hopefully.

My apartment faces north so the DirecTV guy has his install cut out for him.

heyman421
12-06-2006, 06:06 PM
You need a cable box to get hdtv over cable.

Cable channels aren't seperated as far apart as on-air channels, so the HDTV channel is sent on a completely different channel, up in the digital range.

CapzNCoilz
12-06-2006, 06:22 PM
And the customer service rep says I don't need a cable box...As of right now cable comes from the wall outlet to my TV

heyman421
12-06-2006, 06:27 PM
she's wrong

the HDTV signal in the on-air signal is between the channels, a la HDradio

cable tv channels are spaced closer together, tho, and there isn't enough bandwidth to allow these sub-channels

to get on-air hdtv, you need an antenna

CapzNCoilz
12-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Sounds good, I'll call'em back up! :D Thanks for your assistance.

99StangGt
12-06-2006, 10:53 PM
I have a cable box and can watch the hdtv channels but until i signed up to hd they didnt come in with hd. They were all in 480i but when i signed up they came in at 1080i.

djman37
12-06-2006, 11:04 PM
she's wrong

the HDTV signal in the on-air signal is between the channels, a la HDradio

cable tv channels are spaced closer together, tho, and there isn't enough bandwidth to allow these sub-channels

to get on-air hdtv, you need an antenna

so are you.
our transmitters are set up for 8(analog) and 9(digital) the transponder is set so that you get 8(analog), 8.1,8.2 and 8.3(digital). The other stations in our market are all in the 50's or so, but they correspond to their analog signals as well. Cable systems take signals off-the-air, satellite, etc. and re-modulate them to whatever channel they wish. I get my 8.2 on 'digital' cable 226(don't get me started on cable systems). You're SO right about cable bandwidth. there's all kinds of legislation going on about signal change, must carry, etc.

The BEST antenna for receiving your markets digital signal is the old-school radio shack UHF/VHF/FM antenna. the arrow with the wings that angle up and down.

check out www.titantv.com and put in your zipcode to see what TV stations are really broadcasting.
ALL analog radio is between channels 5 & 6 on your TV dial.:eek:

ndnbolla
12-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Are you sure your on the right channel? With HDTV, or any digital channel for that matter, it's either you get the channel or you don't. Their shouldn't be any static.

Do you have an option for autoprogramming on your TV? Try using that since it will basically find any HDTV channels that you are able to recieve.

CapzNCoilz
12-07-2006, 12:45 PM
I did the auto program and they still don't show up.

I checked titan TV and under my zip, 85224 there is convergent cable analog and digital.

Well the analog doesn't have the HDTV channels and the digial does....BUT the service provider doesn't offer digital cable...?! So what's up with that? They advertise it but won't let me have it? RIP!!!

djman37
12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
screw the cable company, go buy that antenna and get all your local HD|digital free.