PDA

View Full Version : What is the minimum RMS to drive these?

phenryiv1
12-06-2006, 10:27 AM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4418

I saw a link earlier and am checking now to see if they fit my vehicle. I also want to be sure that they will work with a relatively small amp.

Thoughts?

skadude016
12-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Why do the minimum?

skadude016
12-06-2006, 10:30 AM
give em 100-130 and be happy

phenryiv1
12-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Long story short? Because I am building my system in peices, and because I don't want/need it to get loud. I don't have the space for a massive amp, and I currently have a leftover amp from an older system that will drive these until I save up more scratch to buy a new amp to run these and my (to be determined) subwoofer.

I am trying to build a balanced system that will have about 50 watts per channel in the front and 125-135(ish) from 2 bridged channels to a single 8 or 10 inch sub.

Since I already have a small amp, it will drive these until I decide on a sub and get a box built. After I get the box finished, I will THEN be buying a better amp to drive the frontstage and the sub. Until then, I have to run the comps off of what I have- which is an old RF amp (2000 vintage) that is either 25x2 or 62.5x2.

skadude016
12-06-2006, 10:58 AM
ya the CDT's will work with that but thas jus mean to starve them lol

just make sure you dont go clippign your amp trying to get more power

Johnny Drama
12-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Those CL series will sound good on 45rms per side and all the way up to 90rms per side. I wouldnt put more then 90 to them. They didnt like it to much when I did.

45-50 watts is actually where I would recomend you run these if that is the power you have. Mine were respectable on that power. Another tip...deaden your doors as best as you can. This will help them out with the power you give them. Adding better, cleaner midbass, it will also help to clean up the midrange out of them.

phenryiv1
12-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Those CL series will sound good on 45rms per side and all the way up to 90rms per side. I wouldnt put more then 90 to them. They didnt like it to much when I did.

45-50 watts is actually where I would recomend you run these if that is the power you have. Mine were respectable on that power.

Thanks for the tips. Now all that I have to do is see if they fit in my car. They fit in my budget, but I have very limited mounting depth, even with spacers.

If these don't work, it looks like I will go with something "mainstream" like polk dBs/Momos or Quarts, because I KNOW that they will fit with the spacers.

Another tip...deaden your doors as best as you can. This will help them out with the power you give them. Adding better, cleaner midbass, it will also help to clean up the midrange out of them.

I planned to damp the doors when I install. I have read up a lot on deadening techniques and products and I still cannot get a handle on what will stand up to the conditions in the doors. Even the head-to-head comparisons leave me dizzy. My last damping effort (B-quiet) ended up in a puddle at the bottom of my doors, and left an adhesive residue on my windos that was nearly impossible to remove.

Johnny Drama
12-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the tips. Now all that I have to do is see if they fit in my car. They fit in my budget, but I have very limited mounting depth, even with spacers.

If these don't work, it looks like I will go with something "mainstream" like polk dBs/Momos or Quarts, because I KNOW that they will fit with the spacers.

I planned to damp the doors when I install. I have read up a lot on deadening techniques and products and I still cannot get a handle on what will stand up to the conditions in the doors. Even the head-to-head comparisons leave me dizzy. My last damping effort (B-quiet) ended up in a puddle at the bottom of my doors, and left an adhesive residue on my windos that was nearly impossible to remove.

Its not cheap, but take a look at the second skin products. www.secondskinaudio.com (http://www.secondskinaudio.com)

I use them and love them.

rdzm50
12-06-2006, 11:26 AM
not really such a thing as a minimum

Hoodlum007
12-06-2006, 12:41 PM
If they dont fit you can look into these as well, very shallow mids.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4894

ultimate157
12-06-2006, 01:45 PM
The CDT's have only a 2.5" mounting depth for the 6.5" driver.

Edit: Actually clicked the link, and those are freaking shallow.

I'm giving mine 150w RMS and the sound amazing.

luvinthebass
12-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Once you sound deaden you'll think to yourself, "wow, that was a good choice i made and it definitely paid off"

phenryiv1
12-06-2006, 01:54 PM
If they dont fit you can look into these as well, very shallow mids.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4894

Those may be the answer to my dilemma...I wonder what the depth is on those...:2.187" SWEET

phenryiv1
12-06-2006, 01:56 PM
The CDT's have only a 2.5" mounting depth for the 6.5" driver.

Edit: Actually clicked the link, and those are freaking shallow.

I'm giving mine 150w RMS and the sound amazing.

I found them (the first set) from the link in your sig. The ones in the second link (the more shallow ones) will definately fit, from the looks of them.

Notwerk
12-06-2006, 04:02 PM
If you need a really shallow set, look at the Exile XP components. The 6.5 set has a mounting depth of 1.85 inches. They should be in your budget.

www.exilecaraudio.com

phenryiv1
12-06-2006, 04:20 PM
If you need a really shallow set, look at the Exile XP components. The 6.5 set has a mounting depth of 1.85 inches. They should be in your budget.

www.exilecaraudio.com

Prices? Dealers? Anyone USED them?

Notwerk
12-06-2006, 05:09 PM
I've used them, I think Towncar has used them. There are no online dealers. The company was founded by former Phoenix Gold folks. Good people. Drop them a line via the website and they'll tell you where you can find them locally. If there's no dealer in your area, they do direct sales.

There was a thorough review on the soundbuggy forum.

Basically, the tweeter is pretty lively for a silk. Not harsh at all though. Mid is solid, especially for a woofer this shallow. Build quality is above average. For the price, I think they're great. And if you can't fit these, nothing is going to fit.

Torgus
12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
i give my cdts 150rms...and they love it.