PDA

View Full Version : question about $1300 nakamichi HU

frankiebones
12-06-2006, 07:23 AM
i have always wondered, when it comes to really hi end HU's, what is the diff in the CD player? i can guess a lot of the diff in price is due to the how additional processing and overall features, but does it just play CDs better?

does it have a better jewel/laser/whatever the thing that touches the CD as it spins is called?

on onlinecarstereo, there is a nakamichi CD-700II that is $1300.(http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15578)

i dont get it, it looks like something that you would buy at a garage sale or find in your grandmother's junk drawer.

i know i am f*cking around on this one, but i AM genuinely curious as to what the diffs are.

6spdcoupe
12-06-2006, 08:15 AM
True analog dual hand picked-assembled burr brown DACs,etc is what your paying for. Eveything that you need and absolutely nothing that you dont.

IF your actually considering something along those lines, I would have to strongly suggest buying it authorized. Thats alot of coin to lose out on if you dont. BTW..that HU SRPs @ $2K and is not commonly found in stock anywhere.

SQChevy
12-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Another unit that is really good and you can often find for not as expensive is an old Rockford Fosgate unit that is basically a Denon head unit.

6spdcoupe
12-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Or my actual Denon. ;)

frankiebones
12-06-2006, 11:45 AM
thanks for the responses guys. not in the market for one any time soon (maybe after i make partner at my law firm). i was just always curious about just how much better a hi end CD player could be at actually reading information written on a CD and when i saw that nakamichi kit, which has to be the HU least likely to get u laid (based on looks), i couldnt help but ask. i mean, it looks like an 8 track player, or what i would think an 8 track player looked like (im only 25).

6spdcoupe
12-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Then I imagine you would really hate the looks of this high end Ear pleaser...

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/..%5Cimages%5CMX406_front.jpg

;)

frankiebones
12-06-2006, 12:12 PM
haha, i dont care what it looks like, just what it sounds like, i just think its funny that the better they sound, the uglier they are.

nice setup btw, morels are ill

T3mpest
12-06-2006, 09:02 PM
haha, i dont care what it looks like, just what it sounds like, i just think its funny that the better they sound, the uglier they are.

nice setup btw, morels are ill

that's the marketing behind them. It makes audiophiles feel better knowing they don't have the "bling" factor of the "average" perons HU.

SQChevy
12-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Well the better it looks on the outside, the more likely it is going to get stolen. If you spent a lot of money of speakers and radio and it looks like that McIntosh. Theifs will probably skip overy our car for the new Pioneer or Alpine they see in the car a few down that is at Best Buy.

Hintzyboy
12-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Companies like Nakimichi and McIntosh put all the money you spend on their products into the actual quality and function of those products. Most mainstream companies put a bunch of that money into marketing and eye-pleasing designs. People who buy Naks or, if I may, Mik's (lol), don't really give a rats arse what the unit looks like.

GrnEydDvl
12-08-2006, 01:36 PM
They are not "ugly".

They are designed for a certain market that appreciates a more refined, classy look. Most of the people here do not fall into that segment. And besides, they have to have something to defend why they spent 10 times more money than you beyond the marginal increase in SQ.

6spdcoupe
12-08-2006, 01:41 PM
I think my Nak is quite pleasing to the eye, however my Denon even more so..:)

6spdcoupe
12-08-2006, 01:47 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/6spdcoupe/911f987f.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/6spdcoupe/Nak700.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/6spdcoupe/MyCar073.jpg

Are they really That 'ugly'?

Hintzyboy
12-08-2006, 02:43 PM
I never said they were ugly. Just a little plain. Noone buying this kind of equipment cares about all the flash and gimics that other companies place so much importance in.

NJAV1
12-08-2006, 02:44 PM
ohhh..Nice Denon Don...I can't keep up with your headunit changes..LMAO

Crzy
12-08-2006, 02:50 PM
mm 6spd that looks ******, i dont like these lower end headunits, way too flashy for my tase i really like that simple look its real clean and classy, too bad it costs so much :D

6spdcoupe
12-08-2006, 04:00 PM
I never said they were ugly. Just a little plain. Noone buying this kind of equipment cares about all the flash and gimics that other companies place so much importance in.

I wasnt posting it directed towards anyone, just in general. ;)

Your absolutely right..simplcity is key. :)

6spdcoupe
12-08-2006, 04:00 PM
ohhh..Nice Denon Don...I can't keep up with your headunit changes..LMAO

Thanks Dave, it will most likely be coming back out tho...

6spdcoupe
12-08-2006, 04:01 PM
mm 6spd that looks ******, i dont like these lower end headunits, way too flashy for my tase i really like that simple look its real clean and classy, too bad it costs so much :D

Thank you, care to try out one? :D

Flipx99
12-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Why yall always have to post a pic of that macintosh?

I can't afford it nor do I even know where you could buy one, but if I could ever have a nice car, I would have one.

Making $16.83/hr *****

phenryiv1
12-08-2006, 04:06 PM
The McI, the Denon, and the Nak all look like pure sechs to me...especially the McI. I put an old-school Denon in a buddy's car once. It was a SICK HU for SQ (not that the rest of his system could live up to it)...

6spdcoupe
12-08-2006, 04:07 PM
hahaha

That unfortunately is one that I would own, but would never make it into my car.. asthetically it doesnt flow. Although I can overcome that easily. The primary would be not being able to navigate through disc tracks... :(

Flipx99
12-08-2006, 04:09 PM
hahaha

That unfortunately is one that I would own, but would never make it into my car.. asthetically it doesnt flow. Although I can overcome that easily. The primary would be not being able to navigate through disc tracks... :(

I never noticed that. I would hate to give that up.

My second favorite that I might be much closer to getting is the clarion with 4way active.

6spdcoupe
12-08-2006, 04:15 PM
The DRZ9255...very nice units, although some have had minor issues. Always easy to find one for sale tho.

dinty01
12-08-2006, 04:21 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/6spdcoupe/911f987f.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/6spdcoupe/Nak700.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/6spdcoupe/MyCar073.jpg

Are they really That 'ugly'?

ugly? ugly?? :drool: :drool:

Im :inlove: with that setup

Crzy
12-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Thank you, care to try out one? :D

if its free :yumyum: or u want my old pioneer ahahahahah

6spdcoupe
12-08-2006, 04:51 PM
if its free :yumyum: or u want my old pioneer ahahahahah

uhhh nut uh. :)

adam71
12-08-2006, 06:09 PM
I would say the McIntosh head unit is pretty close if not better quality built than the Nakamichi. But seeing how I've never heard the Nak deck I can't say if it sounds better or not.

6spdcoupe
12-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Your right, but lack of navigation through disc tracks...just *****.

IamDeMan
12-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Why yall always have to post a pic of that macintosh?

I can't afford it nor do I even know where you could buy one, but if I could ever have a nice car, I would have one.

Making $16.83/hr *****
I would venture to say that many here get paid less. Try min wage, then tell me how bad 16/hr *****.

Motovet
12-09-2006, 02:01 AM
I would venture to say that many here get paid less. Try min wage, then tell me how bad 16/hr *****.

That's true. $16+ an hour is the higher end I pay employees in my plant...and yes some are at minimum. Those HU's are awesome. Think I've been going the wrong direction....

ravendarat
12-09-2006, 02:08 AM
Why are you gonna pull the Denon? And when you do how much do you want for it? ;)

6spdcoupe
12-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Im prolly gonna throw the CD700 back in and utilize the changer as well since its sitting here.

Not sure on pricing yet if I sell it. Its really only a few weeks used. :(

NJAV1
12-10-2006, 11:38 PM
I have to eventually upgrade from my P740mp...don't know which route I'll go and most likely I'll do the best I can on the funds available. I would love to go Nak...but I'm a little hesitant because of the limitations the Naks have in terms of tuning...I really didn't want to deal with external processing..mostly because I'm 'user stupid'...LMAO

adam71
12-11-2006, 05:38 PM

I don't necessarily think its about what the company puts importance in as much as it is about what market they're targeting.

Pioneer and Alpine for example target a WIDE variety of markets. Sure the lower end to mid line stuff may be a little flashy but thats the market they're after in that sense. Then you look at Alpine's F1 flagship and Pioneer's P9 combo and Pioneer's overseas line up. They're extremely elegant and clean looking and are TRULY highend units.

Hintzyboy
12-11-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't necessarily think its about what the company puts importance in as much as it is about what market they're targeting.

Pioneer and Alpine for example target a WIDE variety of markets. Sure the lower end to mid line stuff may be a little flashy but thats the market they're after in that sense. Then you look at Alpine's F1 flagship and Pioneer's P9 combo and Pioneer's overseas line up. They're extremely elegant and clean looking and are TRULY highend units.

So they don't place importance in what attracts their intended market? K:eyebrow:

Bottom line: The money you spend on high end units goes into the unit itself, not the flashy faceplates and screensaver programming used on lesser HUs.

adam71
12-11-2006, 06:50 PM
So they don't place importance in what attracts their intended market? K:eyebrow:

Bottom line: The money you spend on high end units goes into the unit itself, not the flashy faceplates and screensaver programming used on lesser HUs.

Actually I said just the opposite. You must have misunderstood my post. You said that certain MANUFACTURERS or BRANDS put more importance on flash instead of quality of parts and build. What I said was that its not so much the manufacturer or brand, but the market they're trying to target. Which is why I said that Pioneer and Alpine make cheaper (flashy) head units and NO nonsense highend units.

Hintzyboy
12-11-2006, 08:54 PM
OK, I gotcha. However, if you take a look at a company like Nakimichi, even their cheap subs and speakers aren't flashy like some of the products of the other aforementioned companies. And as far as Alpine and Pioneer go, only their best of the best units are subtle and "no-nonsense". Anything below the P9 or F#1 Status still has a ton of your money going towards appearance. Not that these are bad units, but they could be much better if more money was put into the components rather than little frills.

B_Campbell
12-11-2006, 10:54 PM
I think my Nak is quite pleasing to the eye, however my Denon even more so..:)

your like an ad for hi end equipment lol this whole thread is rediculous its a bunch of people that think anything that isnt high priced isnt worthy of being installed in they're car, its rediculous.

6spdcoupe
12-11-2006, 10:59 PM
your like an ad for hi end equipment lol this whole thread is rediculous its a bunch of people that think anything that isnt high priced isnt worthy of being installed in they're car, its rediculous.

Hmmm sorry cant seem to find where I or anyone else said that.

Rediculous, but yet you couldnt fight the urge to post here.

NE14MX
12-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I've always loved the minimalistic look of those Naks. never had the guts to buy one because nobody around here sells them and would never buy something lke that from ebay. To me, they look like old HU's from the 80's. I'm going with something like that when I update the system in my mazda this year if I can find one around to buy from somewhere decent.