PDA

View Full Version : 4 l7s in a S10 Blazer

bbrownderville
12-05-2006, 11:43 PM
I was wondering if someone could help me design a box for my blazer i am working on buying. I am getting 4 10in. Kicker l7s. i want to tune them to 50 hz so i should be able to compete well. can anyone help me design something that wont take up the whole cargo are so i can mount my two amps. thanks

Lakota
12-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Are you going to use this as a daily box too? If so, I'd tune quite a bit lower than 50.

boogeroby72
12-06-2006, 09:59 AM
what kinda space, like give us the dimensions you want it in first,

dbornotdb
12-06-2006, 10:04 AM
2 door or 4 door? Spare in the back? Spaces differ.

Blazer resonating frequency with cloth interior in a 2 door is 53hz and a 4 door with leather interior is 48 hz. Tune accordingly on the graph.

lilmaniac2
12-06-2006, 10:06 AM
umm blanket statements of different vehicles have x resonant frequency are inaccurate

my 2 door blazer played 55 hz and my friends 4 door played 53 hz

:)

dbornotdb
12-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Actually I edit my staement. The 4 door had leather.

We did alot of testing, and of course it differs if you have a wall or not, seats up, so on.....

These were with the rear seat up, box below the window line.
My 2 door resonated at that frequency. 53hz.
The 4 door was at 48hz in that box configuration. We built alot of boxes and tuned many times till we got it right.
Then that 4 door became the loudest in it's class in the state and won many a 1st place.

Now my statemnet is not the end all. It was just our experience and was trying to help him out for whatever he is looking to accomplish.

bbrownderville
12-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Yes this will be a daily box but i want it at 50Hz. My box i have now is at 50 and i kinda like it. It is going in a 4 door with no spare in the back. i would kinda like to keep the back seat up and below the window line. and i dont have deminsions of the cargo area cause i havent got the blazer yet. should be pickin it up this weekend.

RedlineAccord
12-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Eeek, 50 hz? Isn't that only good for SPL applications? If I want a subwoofer for daily driving I wanna hear those low notes or else its not worth it for me :blackeye: I'd do 35 or maybe 38 but not THAT high.

CBFryman2
12-06-2006, 05:50 PM
2 door or 4 door? Spare in the back? Spaces differ.

Blazer resonating frequency with cloth interior in a 2 door is 53hz and a 4 door with leather interior is 48 hz. Tune accordingly on the graph.

:eyebrow:

Airspace changes, enclosure, even seat position among MANY other things can change that.

mikey060
12-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Yes this will be a daily box but i want it at 50Hz. My box i have now is at 50 and i kinda like it. It is going in a 4 door with no spare in the back. i would kinda like to keep the back seat up and below the window line. and i dont have deminsions of the cargo area cause i havent got the blazer yet. should be pickin it up this weekend.

i wouldnt tune it to 50 hz for daily unless you listen to test tones 50hz+ haha...my sub is ****ed because my box was apperently tuned 40+ and it began to bottom out and the coil now hits the back plate and needs a recone. long story short, i am pissed off.

skadude016
12-06-2006, 07:01 PM

have ya tried lower tuning?

delvryboy
12-06-2006, 07:07 PM
2 boxes, about 3 cubes each. 3 4" aeroports per, play with the length, but more than likely, 12~15" flare to flare.

subs up, ports back.... give about 2~3" clearance in between the boxes.

dbornotdb
12-06-2006, 10:34 PM
:eyebrow:

Airspace changes, enclosure, even seat position among MANY other things can change that.

and of course it differs if you have a wall or not, seats up, so on.....

:p: :veryhapp:

dbornotdb
12-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Here are some 4 door measurments.

dkmesa
12-06-2006, 10:38 PM
You're probably gonna want to tune it to high 30s tops

bbrownderville
12-06-2006, 11:32 PM
sorry tuning is dead set at 50 hz. it will be a daily ride but also my competition rig as well. so subs up and port back works best in the blazers? i will prolly go with a slot port. easiest for me to make and id rather make one big box if i can. i know it will be tough to accomplish using 4 subs but i wanna meet my challenge. thanks for the measurements as well

bbrownderville
12-06-2006, 11:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/mactowndude/untitled.jpg
thats a pic of the design of the box i am thinking about and it should be 8 feet. ported at 50hz

delvryboy
12-07-2006, 12:30 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f19/delvryboy/S4010010.jpg

loud **** right there...

delvryboy
12-07-2006, 12:33 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/mactowndude/untitled.jpg
thats a pic of the design of the box i am thinking about and it should be 8 feet. ported at 50hz

too big.... try 6 cubes total and use aeroports if your competing.

also, you don't want to tune it at 50hz, it will peak too high.

bbrownderville
12-07-2006, 12:37 AM
ill finish this myself when i get the blazer. i know what i want. i know 50 hz is high but i have reputable people telling me to do that,and i want spl. so i will post some pics when i get done.

delvryboy
12-07-2006, 01:05 AM
ill finish this myself when i get the blazer. i know what i want. i know 50 hz is high but i have reputable people telling me to do that,and i want spl. so i will post some pics when i get done.
i don't know anything about spl or L7's, sorry i can't help you....

RedlineAccord
12-07-2006, 01:20 AM

*cough* sensing sarcasm *cough*

:slap:

If you want SPL, the "general rule" is anywhere from 38-45 hz depending on the car/truck and sub and god knows how many other factors. Best thing to do is test with a Termlab mic but not everyone has access to that. If you want the best of both worlds (aka: you don't want your music to sound like ***) I'd tune somewhere from 35-38 hz. Or the best thing would be.... listen to delvryboy. I think his signiture has a hint to why. ;)

bbrownderville
12-07-2006, 08:30 AM
its not that i downing your knowledge or anything, its just i am dead set on 50 hz. my 2 l7s i have now r at 50 and they sound good. givin that i dont blast my system when i dont compete cause it draws too much power. im not all about the lows or anything. i just want full out spl.

RedlineAccord
12-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Again..... all we're really asking is, have you ever even tried tuning any lower? You never know, you might like it. In fact, you might peak higher and gain some more deebeez if you tune lower, around maybe 38-40 hz. And hell, your music won't sound like complete ***.

Twistid
12-07-2006, 10:38 AM
you do realise with your box @ 50 hz you can basically throw the idea of playing ANY kind of bass music right out the window... the second a 35-40-or even 45 hz tone starts your shits gonna sound like a bag full of tin cans ... can you imagine him playing late nite tip? your subs would be dead by the end of the song

bbrownderville
12-07-2006, 11:35 AM
ok so delvryboy what r some box specs u would recommend since your such a kicker person. Slot port tuned to pressure high as possible. 40hz? by the way i dont listen to much radio out of competitions. when i do, the bass is ususally all the way down. every once and a while i will turn it up, to show off a little but nuthing too much so sound doesnt matter much. i have some serious competitors in the class that i am in here locally so i gotta be able to compete.

RedlineAccord
12-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Hmm, 4 12" L7's? I don't have experience with them myself, but from what I've seen other people do, probably 8 cubic feet (2 per sub) after all displacements are accounted for, tuned to 35 hz would be loud as HELL and still sound awesome on music. Some people even make interchangable ports to change tuning for SPL and then back to daily driving. Not sure how it'd work, but I'd think it would be a pretty awesome idea, and make it a lot more convenient than having a SPL-burp box and a separate daily driving box, or having to sacrifice either SPL or sound quality in turn for whatever the box is geared towards. Anyone have any tips for that? (the interchangable/tunable port)

Then again, I'm just bored and rambling on. If you want a real expert on this I'd probably listen to devlryboy (sp).

delvryboy
12-07-2006, 09:04 PM
ok so delvryboy what r some box specs u would recommend since your such a kicker person. Slot port tuned to pressure high as possible. 40hz? by the way i dont listen to much radio out of competitions. when i do, the bass is ususally all the way down. every once and a while i will turn it up, to show off a little but nuthing too much so sound doesnt matter much. i have some serious competitors in the class that i am in here locally so i gotta be able to compete.

i'm not saying to tune it low. a 50hz tune in a box that big will probably not peak where you want it to. i would do about 5-6 cubes and tune around 47-48hz. i would also use 2 separate boxes and aeroports.

if your dead set on a slot port, throw out that design. you want to use 3 walls of the enclosure for your port.

if you build the boxes i mention on page 1, you will be a happy man ;)

nVRuckus
12-07-2006, 10:00 PM
i'm not saying to tune it low. a 50hz tune in a box that big will probably not peak where you want it to. i would do about 5-6 cubes and tune around 47-48hz. i would also use 2 separate boxes and aeroports.

if your dead set on a slot port, throw out that design. you want to use 3 walls of the enclosure for your port.

if you build the boxes i mention on page 1, you will be a happy man ;)

Why would you use 2 3cuft boxes boxes instead of 1 6cuft box? whats the advantage to 2 subs per box instead of 4 in 1 big box?

bbrownderville
12-07-2006, 10:00 PM
i would do about 5-6 cubes and tune around 47-48hz. if your dead set on a slot port, throw out that design. you want to use 3 walls of the enclosure for your port.

got any good designs on a slot port box, i am pretty set on a slot. 48hz will work.

delvryboy
12-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Why would you use 2 3cuft boxes boxes instead of 1 6cuft box? whats the advantage to 2 subs per box instead of 4 in 1 big box?

for one, you can keep both ports butted into the corners. you can also have the walls as close to the subs as possible. both of these help with spl.

you can also find a gain by having 1 box further back than the other, off setting them on an angle, or having some space in between the 2 boxes.

2 boxes are much more versatile, especially when the end goal is spl.

nVRuckus
12-07-2006, 10:14 PM
hmm I have to try splitting my friends kickers then we used 1 big box with 8 4" aeros I think im gonna separate it into 2 chambers to see if it improves his numbers. (he has 4 12" L7s in an xterra)

phyphoestilic
12-07-2006, 10:15 PM
50hz tuning, ewwwwwww. I wouldn't tune past 40hz, but thats me.

nVRuckus
12-07-2006, 10:16 PM
50hz tuning, ewwwwwww. I wouldn't tune past 40hz, but thats me.

with round ports you can stuff a couple and lower the tuning ;)