PDA

View Full Version : laptop interferring with sub amp

acold7dusta
12-05-2006, 11:31 PM
ok i have a Dell inspiron 1100, and the home audio setup in my sig. i have the laptop tubbed through my reciever with rca>headphone jack. whenever my amp is turned on, and my laptop is plugged in, my amp picks up a real low frequency, and it comes out as a solid, low volume rumble. it was really bad when i had the laptop plug and the amp plug next to each other, and when i plugged it across the room, it got marginally quieter. anything i can do to eliminate it completely?

BTW im in my 10 x 10 bedroom

dvrmstrng
12-06-2006, 01:45 AM
hows that sub setup/ box for HT sound?

brandontw
12-06-2006, 03:54 AM
switch to digital..worked for me...

I used to run analog (rca>headphone jack) then i got a new receiver so i could use ditigal coaxial and my noise problem went away... could have been the new receiver too i guess...

joetama
12-06-2006, 01:44 PM
switch to digital..worked for me...

I used to run analog (rca>headphone jack) then i got a new receiver so i could use ditigal coaxial and my noise problem went away... could have been the new receiver too i guess...

That analog out on a computer is VERY VERY dirty. And the pre-amp circuits pick up on this and turn it into audible sound. SO, switching to digital is pretty much the only way to get rid of it 100%....

acold7dusta
12-06-2006, 02:59 PM
how can i switch to digital?

dvr- it sounds awesome (except when nothings playing and it moans)

joetama
12-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Well that depends on your computer....

You can also get some ground isolation boxes, but it's much cheaper and easier if your computer and receiver have digital in/outs....

acold7dusta
12-06-2006, 06:34 PM
oh. well it doesnt have anything to do with the fact of music coming out of my speakers. the power inverter to plug into my laptop creates interference with the sub amp. i can unplug my laptop and the rumble will go away. when i moved my amp across the room and used a different outlet, the rumble was noticably quieter, but still there.

any suggestions?

acold7dusta
12-13-2006, 05:17 PM
bump, still does it, anything else i can try to get rid of it?

Scoobydoo
12-13-2006, 06:31 PM
try a line conditioner, ups or a ferrite magnet on the power cable

acold7dusta
12-13-2006, 06:59 PM
try a line conditioner, ups or a ferrite magnet on the power cable

the line conditioners are out of my price range, how much are the ups (what is it/where can i get it?) and do i just put the ferrite magnet donut at the end? (parts express to the rescue) thanks

http://www.partsexpress.com/images/329-117m.jpg

reneeb7363
12-13-2006, 07:19 PM
I found a USB adaptor for sound output at Comp USA... seems to have taken care of the problem for me... on a Dell Inspiron 5100-- I still pickup the cell phone ping if I leave it [the cell] to close to the wire/speakers tho. Even the speaker on my radio/alarm clock picks it up. but no more hum!

Scoobydoo
12-13-2006, 07:21 PM
They(no idea who "they" are though) sell ferrite magnets that clip right on to the power cable. I use one on my Panamax line conditioner, not sure if it makes any difference, but they are cheap so you could try it

APC makes a good ups, but if a line conditioner is outta your range a ups may be as well

UPS's are basically just surge suppressors with a battery backup in case power goes out

acold7dusta
12-13-2006, 07:27 PM
They(no idea who "they" are though) sell ferrite magnets that clip right on to the power cable. I use one on my Panamax line conditioner, not sure if it makes any difference, but they are cheap so you could try it

APC makes a good ups, but if a line conditioner is outta your range a ups may be as well

UPS's are basically just surge suppressors with a battery backup in case power goes out

the line conditioner sounds like the best bet, i just dont know if it will clear it 100%

maybe ill ask santa for it:blush:

acold7dusta
12-13-2006, 07:30 PM
I found a USB adaptor for sound output at Comp USA... seems to have taken care of the problem for me... on a Dell Inspiron 5100-- I still pickup the cell phone ping if I leave it [the cell] to close to the wire/speakers tho. Even the speaker on my radio/alarm clock picks it up. but no more hum!

the problem lies in the power cable, not the input power
;) thanks anyways