PDA

View Full Version : mounting sub to box...

BigRedMonkey
01-08-2003, 07:35 PM
I was just about to mount my cool new shiva to my box and I thought...hmm... I wonder if theres a better way to do this... soooooooo:

What are the best screws to mount a shiva to a 3/4" mdf sealed box?

Anything else I should do? I was thinkin about lining the hole with a line of clear silicon sealant stuff to make it absolutely air tight... is that the best way to do that?

anything else?

Savant
01-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Not sure about the silicon.. I have some foam trim stuff that came with my speakers.. about 1/2" whide.. 1/4" thick.. glue on one side.. That's the seal for mine.. *shrug*..

BigRedMonkey
01-08-2003, 11:00 PM
hm... my shiva didnt come with any foam lining/gasket... that was partially why I asked

paikiah
01-08-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by BigRedMonkey
I was just about to mount my cool new shiva to my box and I thought...hmm... I wonder if theres a better way to do this... soooooooo:

The tightest you can ;)

Anything else I should do? I was thinkin about lining the hole with a line of clear silicon sealant stuff to make it absolutely air tight... is that the best way to do that?

Silicone won't do your basket much good... it's got a corroding substance inside it..even though it's 100% dry, I wouldn't trust silicone coming in contact with my sub baskets... besides, it's **** hard to make the layer even.. so why not go for weather-proofing? that'd do the trick~

anything else?

Yeah, go easy on your ears:)

BigRedMonkey
01-08-2003, 11:08 PM
weather proofing could be good... I'm using that to line all the plastic in my car to stop it from rattling against the metal/windows :P I can use the leftover for the sub thx... anyone else?

Tungsten
01-13-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm getting ready to build my box for two Alpine SWR-1021D subs and may end up ordering these security screws to really frustrate the **** out of any sleezeball that tries to swipe them from me.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Product_ID=119061&DID=7

The box itself will be a complete ***** to remove from the trunk so this will at least make a thief put some effort into his attempt while I'm getting out of bed, loading the Glock and pulling my shorts on. :D

ryan_feine
02-11-2003, 11:16 PM

anything else?
i thought everyone in the world was smart enough to know that silicon more specifically the fumes will eat the surround on your subsunless you let it dry in another room or away from your subs somwhere like making a gasket on some waxed paper or something like that do not use it to seal your sub down

BigBoomer
02-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Tungsten
I'm getting ready to build my box for two Alpine SWR-1021D subs and may end up ordering these security screws to really frustrate the **** out of any sleezeball that tries to swipe them from me.

The box itself will be a complete ***** to remove from the trunk so this will at least make a thief put some effort into his attempt while I'm getting out of bed, loading the Glock and pulling my shorts on. :D

wtf i havent not ever saw those b 4...:p

d audio 450
02-18-2003, 10:55 AM

hahahahaha- **** man- thats a freakin awesome idea, never even thought of that. - and that glock you speak of...sounds nice. i think it would be more fun to replace it with a pressure-tweaked paintball gun tho...
i think im definitley gonna order a load of those security screws.
-pat

Tungsten
02-18-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by d audio 450
hahahahaha- **** man- thats a freakin awesome idea, never even thought of that. - and that glock you speak of...sounds nice. i think it would be more fun to replace it with a pressure-tweaked paintball gun tho...
i think im definitley gonna order a load of those security screws.
-pat

Ooo... paintball gun fed with about 150psi and some marbles instead of gell caps. :evil:

Yeah, the security screws are very nice. I ordered about 20 more than I needed, but I figure I will use them for other things down the road. Mounted the subs, amps and distribution block with them alreaedy! :D

klepto
02-19-2003, 02:30 AM
wow, those screws are an awesome idea. ill use wm when bolting my box down in my jeep wrangler because my car is basically a tent on wheels (soft top). Ill also keep a glock 40 under my pillow to discourage any **** from stealin my goods.

azngurlbaybee
02-19-2003, 12:23 PM
I'm thinking about painting "Radio Shack" on the grille in big letters to discourage thieves from stealing my CDT sub :)

paikiah
02-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by azngurlbaybee
I'm thinking about painting "Radio Shack" on the grille in big letters to discourage thieves from stealing my CDT sub :)

DOn't need to go overboard... just stick a small label on the cones..

those shiny ones that catches anyone's eyes that read "made in china"

Matador
02-19-2003, 10:45 PM
hey that's coo tungsten, i was looking for some special screws like that, n that price aint bad neither.

BigBoomer
02-21-2003, 04:20 PM

anything else?

Dont you think you should mount the box to the sub? it sounds better that was(+10db's)
:p :p :p :p :p

evo2k3
02-22-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by BigBoomer
Dont you think you should mount the box to the sub? it sounds better that was(+10db's)
:p :p :p :p :p

each post you make, makes me hate you even more....i wont say the name because it is worse than most of the swears that get blocked out on here, but your reminding me of someone with the initials TT.....:nono:

nswartley
02-22-2003, 01:25 AM
Ooo... paintball gun fed with about 150psi and some marbles instead of gell caps. :evil:

lol 150psi is not enuf...my gun is low pressure and it runs on very low pressure (highly-modded gun...)

most stock mainstream paintball guns run anywhere from 600-800 psi.

trust me, i used to be hooked to paintball forums and i still own a nice gun... :)

Randy Savage
02-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by evo2k3
each post you make, makes me hate you even more....i wont say the name because it is worse than most of the swears that get blocked out on here, but your reminding me of someone with the initials TT.....:nono: Thundertunes!!!!!!!!!

evo2k3
02-22-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by snova031
Thundertunes!!!!!!!!!

**GASP** :eek:

BigBoomer
02-24-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by snova031
Thundertunes!!!!!!!!!

*GASP* you said the..........................................forbi dden name!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tommyk90
02-24-2003, 05:15 PM
*GASP* you said the..........................................forbi dden name!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You are such a shithead.

BigBoomer
02-24-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by tommyk90
You are such a shithead.

i know you are but what am i?:confused:

Randy Savage
02-24-2003, 05:30 PM
i know you are but what am i?:confused: Stab yourself with a rusty nail and hope for the worst.

tommyk90
02-24-2003, 05:34 PM
i know you are but what am i?:confused:

I hope you feel something extremely painful in the near future.

nswartley
02-24-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by tommyk90
I hope you feel something extremely painful in the near future.

hey maybe it works this way...idiots have names that repeat consonants in consecutive words: ThunderTunes....BigBoomer....

Brock
02-24-2003, 06:32 PM

American History X?

MUGEN!
02-24-2003, 06:45 PM
thundertune is kinnda infamous what did that guy do anyway?

paikiah
02-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by MUGEN!
thundertune is kinnda infamous what did that guy do anyway?

erm...erm.... where do I begin....

tommyk90
02-25-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Brock
American History X?

I just related that movie to a post i did not too long ago. "Put your teeth on the curb!" ****, that stuff's gotta fukkin hurt.

MUGEN!
02-25-2003, 04:51 AM
that guy musta have done something really BAD!

MUGEN!
02-25-2003, 04:51 AM
or is bad an understatement? LOL:banghead:

paikiah
02-25-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by MUGEN!
that guy musta have done something really BAD!

erm.. just can't really explain....

B&R Innovations
02-25-2003, 12:24 PM
That part of the movie makes me cringe
no other immage ever made me do that.

It like I can feel it

BTW about the silicone
if you let it dry througly (24 hrs)
then it wont eat the SURRROUND
its while it dries that it releases gasses

paikiah
02-25-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by B&R Innovations
That part of the movie makes me cringe
no other immage ever made me do that.

It like I can feel it

BTW about the silicone
if you let it dry througly (24 hrs)
then it wont eat the SURRROUND
its while it dries that it releases gasses

:confused: movie?

anyway, your sig...

I am moving Soundhertz to a new...less craptactual server but when its comes up i'll have a link.
Still: Recruting Car Audio Moderators

where's this site that you speak of? hiring moderators? SUre, think I might be able to cut it?

azngurlbaybee
02-25-2003, 12:45 PM
American History X

paikiah
02-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by azngurlbaybee
American History X

ah, the curb thing....

hey, azngurlbaybee...

you drive the MR-S, right?

checked out march issue of CA&E? They've got this custom yellow MR-S and it's got twin 10" alpine Type-R's amongst other things...