PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio in MO

WulfComp
12-05-2006, 01:55 AM
I know this is for reviews, but I was wondering what everyone looks for in a audio shop. I've had my store open for a year, and am now starting to expand to car audio more. I'm just curious what you guys like to see that makes you want to come back, and bring your friends. Is it the brands that are carried, the look of the store, the amount of product instock, or is it mostly the service, and knowledge of the people working there? Thanks

crazy4ozs
12-05-2006, 02:59 AM
definatly the knoledge, and also the willingness to teach...i no that sounds dumb, more 99% of all audio shops will install your **** and tell u to get out...but to actually form a relationship with the customer and NOT MAKE THE FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT is the key for me...i really prefer the smaller shops to the bigger ones...what is you shop called?

WulfComp
12-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Good, I am more than willing to teach, I belive very strongly in an educated consumer. I want my customers to know that there is more to know than just watts and magnet size. The shop is called Wulf Computers its in Grain Valley about 25 miles east of KC off of I-70. It is mainly a computer store, or has been for the past year, but now I would say its about 55% computers, 40% car audio, and 5% other electronics(camcorders, big screen TV's ect.) The computer part is great because it keeps the shop alive during the winter when the audio tends to slow alittle. Plus I do carputers so its kind of a merging of both.

kublkmax
12-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Service is the number one thing for me. Knowlege is good. I have been doing this for a long time and I feel that I am pretty knowlegible. Someone willing to teach these young kids about what they are buying. Product is pretty important. Have a shop that is not full of the Me too's ie JL, Rockford, Kicker. Yes you need some of those but, having other products would be helpful. I may need to talk to you late next month about your products becasue I may be repping some high end companies.

crazy4ozs
12-05-2006, 04:16 PM
sounds like uve got a preety good little shop going...as far as the brands to carry ect...from what i can tell, there are VERY FEW if any shops in the KC area who cary anything but alpine, kicker, JL...ect...really try and bring the brands like Arc, AA, RE (if u must) into the picture, because even tho they can be considered "high end" every company has an entrey level woofer...good luck with the shop, ill most likely be stopping by in a few weeks and introducing myself :)

WulfComp
12-05-2006, 05:50 PM
that would be good, I'd be interested in meeting both of you. As far as brands, thats exactly what I want to do. I want the brands that no one else carries. I'm going to look into Rainbow and Arc pretty soon, but I just got an order from Oxygen audio, meet up with them at USACI world finals, not bad so far, still have some other products I would like to try out. And for those wal-mart like shoppers, I have powerbass. I feel its not a bad option for high schoolers first system. Then they have so much more to look forward to.

rocky 59
12-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Good, I am more than willing to teach, I belive very strongly in an educated consumer. I want my customers to know that there is more to know than just watts and magnet size. The shop is called Wulf Computers its in Grain Valley about 25 miles east of KC off of I-70. It is mainly a computer store, or has been for the past year, but now I would say its about 55% computers, 40% car audio, and 5% other electronics(camcorders, big screen TV's ect.) The computer part is great because it keeps the shop alive during the winter when the audio tends to slow alittle. Plus I do carputers so its kind of a merging of both.

where you located at? at the lake of the ozarks and need a weedend job. :veryhapp: :veryhapp: :D :greedy:

crazy4ozs
12-05-2006, 11:36 PM
that would be good, I'd be interested in meeting both of you. As far as brands, thats exactly what I want to do. I want the brands that no one else carries. I'm going to look into Rainbow and Arc pretty soon, but I just got an order from Oxygen audio, meet up with them at USACI world finals, not bad so far, still have some other products I would like to try out. And for those wal-mart like shoppers, I have powerbass. I feel its not a bad option for high schoolers first system. Then they have so much more to look forward to.

good luck getting rainbow...but ANYWAY lol...what are u planning to do about boxes...because i no that ALOT of in-experienced car audio HS-lers...are looking to walk into a store, pay 300 bux and walk about with the bass boomin in there ride...(aka, just to buy a prefab box)...how are you going to prevent this? are u going to sell prefab? or no?

WulfComp
12-06-2006, 03:46 PM
I was thinking about having one to two boxes ready to go, either pre-fab, or pre-made by us, for those impossibly impatient people, who need everything now. But it will always be my recommendation to go with something specific for that sub, the car, and the system. Or do you have another option to this question??

squatchie16
02-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Im just going to have to pay a visit to your store in Grain Valley. Thanks

WulfComp
02-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Sounds great, come on by and check it out.

RidgelineNate
03-27-2007, 01:16 PM
what do you carry atm? I didnt know if you got into Rainbow yet. I am buying some germs or CMXs and I am trying to find a good amp to run them.

WulfComp
03-27-2007, 04:21 PM
In no particular order companies I will try to have stock of most of the time:
DLS, Powerbass, Pioneer, JVC, RE audio, Oxygen Audio

Companies still in the process of becoming a dealer that I would carry stock of:
Rainbow, Sundown audio

Some of the other companies I can order from:
Kenwood, Diamond Audio, Soundstream, US amps, Sound Storm

jmanjr
03-28-2007, 12:20 AM
If you want business, try to hold some type of event like a USAC Single point comp, but you would need a TL an know how to use it, or just a simple sound off event, thats what they do locally and they seem to work out great, Im about 45 minutes from you and I would be willing to help you plan/set somthing up if interested.

WulfComp
03-28-2007, 05:15 AM
I am definitely interested. I would just like to get my shop a little more organized on the audio side before I start to draw too many people in. Right now I'm being hit pretty hard on the computer and web design side of things. I've been trying to get my demos all set up while still trying to keep costs down. But all in all everything is coming along. I certainly wouldn't mind if you stopped by to lend some information or thoughts of how things are going. I always like a perspective from someone on the outside. So thank you for the offer.

jmanjr
03-28-2007, 09:18 AM
not a problem when I get a chance I will swing by your way and check it out and give a opinion at least.

genxx
03-28-2007, 10:16 AM
The most important I would say is knowledge of the product and car stereo in general. Having been in and out of car audio for about the last 16 years things change and have to stay up with all the new stuff and how it all works. You can get behind the knowledge curve fast. Two of my frinds own successful shops in Oklahoma, have built some nice show cars multiple cars they have built have made it to USAC/IASCA world finals. Looking at the change they have made I would have to say my
favs are::)
1-good sound room w/good product layout scheme.
2-The glass looking into the install bay is really nice, but has its draw backs also.
3-Cleanliness nice showroom area with TV.
4-First apperance counts the minute someone walks in.
5-Public bathroom
6-I like being able to get tinted windows done at the same time aslo
7-prefab enclosures are always good easy to sell and easy on the pocket book for most people. Not for me though, I like custom done to specs.
Worst::mad:
1-The worst is the salesperson with an attitude that knows everything and treats like you are an idiot just there to buy something and get out.(People I start to quiz to see how much they really know)New guy at buddies shop did that, because he did not know who I was, made him look like an idiot. Guy lasted a week-bye see you later:furious:
2-The age old answer well I can order it for you. I can show it to you in the brochure but we do not even have that model in the soundroom for you to demo. If I am going to spend $500.00+ on a HU I want to touch it, see it, feel it. Before I just layout $500.00+ on a recommendation.:crying:
3-When you walk in and there is no one in the show room anywhere and you wait 30min before someone realizes you are even there. Hell I should have helped myself to some product I guess.(not that I actually would):up2somet:

Brands:
Pioneer-everyone knows the name, large range of product-have higher end stuff to
Alpine-same
Eclipse-same
JL Audio-same
JVC-good
Diamond-wide range of speakers
DLS- can go either way most would consider them highend I think, I do

Highend/harder to sell:
ARC but I am biased
Rainbow once again biased
US Amps
Zapco
DLS

There are alot of other brands out there to for the budget minded.
But you have to make money to stay open so some of what I have listed may not keep you in business day in and day out. Alot of people on Caraudio.com have alot of knowledge and may have better ideas than I do. This is all just my opionion, so take it with a grain of salt. There are alot of good ideas out there.
This all my 2 cent.

Genxx

WulfComp
03-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Any comments or advice about my store are more than welcome. I take the bad with the good. Its only the truly honest people that are going to help you out. If they are just going to try and be nice and say everything is great, when it isn't, then whats the point. Right now I am completely open to any and all suggestions, the store is new and still developing (along with the owner) But I am trying to fill a void in my area that has come from the audio shops closing around here and at least have some option other than BB & CC.

Tw1st3d13
08-14-2009, 02:52 PM
I will stop by once i get my car and stereo installed

WulfComp
08-20-2009, 02:13 PM
I will stop by once i get my car and stereo installed

Cool, we just opened another shop in Blue Springs two months ago. There have been quite a few changes as far as the audio stuff goes in our stores, but I think they have all been for the better. Right now we are kind of in the middle of our transition. Most days of the week I am still at the Grain Valley store, so thats where I would try first.

byrdman75
02-26-2010, 01:27 AM
sounds like uve got a preety good little shop going...as far as the brands to carry ect...from what i can tell, there are VERY FEW if any shops in the KC area who cary anything but alpine, kicker, JL...ect...really try and bring the brands like Arc, AA, RE (if u must) into the picture, because even tho they can be considered "high end" every company has an entrey level woofer...good luck with the shop, ill most likely be stopping by in a few weeks and introducing myself :)

this i agree with introduce some new stuff

WulfComp
03-07-2010, 05:35 AM
as far as brands we currently carry, that would be:
Rainbow
Audison
Hertz
DLS
Kenwood
Powerbass
I do some ID stuff
Looking to maybe start carrying Ultra Subs

I feel most of the stuff we carry to be unique to the KC area. As far as I know I'm the only Rainbow dealer in MO

thundercat
04-05-2010, 02:30 AM
You guys should host a show I know some guys from blue springs who have been thing to get some shops to host some Midwestspl shows up there so they don't have to drive so far

StevesCarAudio
11-12-2011, 06:11 AM
How's the shop going?

WulfComp
01-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Shop is still going well. We are coming up on our 7th year in a couple months. We did close our Grain Valley location, and now just have the shop in Blue Springs. We've been doing well keeping up on changes in the industry, and are currently excited to be using Encore as our new remote start/security products. The number to the shop in Blue Springs is 816-229-2727, give us a call if you have any questions.