PDA

View Full Version : Bend/Elbow in circular port

Wonger
12-05-2006, 12:00 AM
I am in the process of designing my box still, and wanted to know if I put in an Aeroport will a bend/Elbow affect the tuning or add port noise. I want the box to take up less depth so would it be better to just make it mdf or is the bend/elbow a viable option.

disturbedfuel15
12-05-2006, 12:12 AM
It wouldn't be a very good idea, unless you can do some sanding to the inside of the pipe(s) so that there isn't any sharp angles or anything like that. I hope you know what I mean, it's really kind of hard to explain. When the elbow meets the pipe, the pipe is smaller than the elbow, causing it to not be smooth all the way through. To minimize port noise, you need to make the sound waves as happy as possible by minimizing sharp bends, edges, etc. Thats why when you see the MDF ports with many bends, they usually make 45 degree corners so that the sound waves will travel easier through the port. Catch my drift?

Wonger
12-05-2006, 12:19 AM
It wouldn't be a very good idea, unless you can do some sanding to the inside of the pipe(s) so that there isn't any sharp angles or anything like that. I hope you know what I mean, it's really kind of hard to explain. When the elbow meets the pipe, the pipe is smaller than the elbow, causing it to not be smooth all the way through. To minimize port noise, you need to make the sound waves as happy as possible by minimizing sharp bends, edges, etc. Thats why when you see the MDF ports with many bends, they usually make 45 degree corners so that the sound waves will travel easier through the port. Catch my drift?

Believe it ot not, I know exactly what you're saying.

djman37
12-05-2006, 12:21 AM
partsexpress now sells DIY port kits w/bends.

GemaRastem
12-05-2006, 12:25 AM

You have no idea what you are talking about.

op, as long as the port is large enough in diameter, you shouldn't have to worry about port noise with a single bend in the pipe. I would recommend atleast a 4" pvc pipe and a single bend, make sure you still have 4" from the opening of the port in the box, and the box itself.

OneKrazyKeebler
12-05-2006, 02:52 AM
There was a guy at the last even I was at that had a ext-cab setup with 4 6" elbows store bought and was hittin high numbers. The ports were coming up from the box and facing forward. Kinda odd, but i liked how "out of the ordinary" it was.

disturbedfuel15
12-06-2006, 11:44 PM
You have no idea what you are talking about.

op, as long as the port is large enough in diameter, you shouldn't have to worry about port noise with a single bend in the pipe. I would recommend atleast a 4" pvc pipe and a single bend, make sure you still have 4" from the opening of the port in the box, and the box itself.

No, you have no idea what you are talking about you dumb ****. I don't make these things up off the top of my head, I listen to what others say, and then compare it to real world expirience. If sharp edges make no difference at all, then why the **** do the most expirienced box builders on these forums make 45 degree corners in their boxes with long ports? Just quit typing before you make someone else dumber :crap:

GemaRastem
12-07-2006, 12:14 AM
No, you have no idea what you are talking about you dumb ****. I don't make these things up off the top of my head, I listen to what others say, and then compare it to real world expirience. If sharp edges make no difference at all, then why the **** do the most expirienced box builders on these forums make 45 degree corners in their boxes with long ports? Just quit typing before you make someone else dumber :crap:

hey, guess what dumb****, sound waves aren't traveling through the port, and you don't have to make them "happy". It's air traveling through the port, and people take out the edges in order to improve airflow. Go **** a ****.

disturbedfuel15
12-07-2006, 09:27 AM
www.hometheaterfi.com]Also[/url], a large volume of air pushed through a relatively small opening may generate turbulence, or a chuffing sound. Ports can be shaped (flared at the openings) to limit turbulence, however, so the compromise doesn’t have to arise, but must be dealt with.

I will give you that it's the air going through, but you'll never convince me that having sharp spots isn't a bad thing. Why do aeroports claim to add a noticable difference? The design inside of them. The tiny ridges they put in them. Every little bit counts. I don't have to prove anything to you, though. Instead of trying desperately to prove me wrong, how about you help wonger answer his question? You started this whole thing by saying I have no idea what I'm talking about, which is completely wrong by all means.

phantom240
12-07-2006, 09:34 AM
:popcorn::sword: