PDA

View Full Version : Box questions?

THXdts
12-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Alright, here is my current box. I didn't draw the MDF because I didn't build the box and don't know how it is lined up. It is 2.5 cu. ft. @ 32 hz. I have a soundspliter RL-p 12. My first idea was to just get a 12" L7, and put it in place of that. But that wont work because the cutout for the circle, well some of it would be sticking out if you cut a square. Then my second idea is to just replace the front of the enclosure, cut a new hole, and replace the top, if I get a differnt amp. Next idea was to just extend the walls up, left and ride side, and get a 15" l7, but then that would mess up the port? I think this idea will work, just start over, but build off the base of the hump. That is there bcause that is how the floor is in my extended cab truck. What do you think would be a good idea? I will upload the file, but cant find a place that accepts .skp.

THXdts
12-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Any help?

coolahan
12-04-2006, 05:18 PM
you can add another baffle on front but a box is built to a subs specifications.. switching out subs in a box that was made for the original sub is not always the smartest move... your best bet is to rebuild with the kicker's specs..

THXdts
12-04-2006, 07:51 PM
I could build off of it thought right? Like just keep the bottom, the part of the hump that is allready built? Because I can not go any wider or and deeper. Just taller.

THXdts
12-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Anyone?

Immacomputer
12-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that the L7's cutout is 11" long. I'm 100% positive that the RL-p's cutout is also 11". That means you can still cut out a square and there would not be part of the circle sticking out.

2.5 @ 32 should be pretty nice for an L7 as well. If you wanted, you could always add another front baffle if the square cutout doesn't work.

THXdts
12-05-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that the L7's cutout is 11" long. I'm 100% positive that the RL-p's cutout is also 11". That means you can still cut out a square and there would not be part of the circle sticking out.

2.5 @ 32 should be pretty nice for an L7 as well. If you wanted, you could always add another front baffle if the square cutout doesn't work.

What L7, a 12? And do you mean if it doesn't fit, just take the old front baffle out, and put on a new one?

colgatekillaa
12-05-2006, 05:28 PM
he meant put another baffle on top of the original one if it doesn't work.

Immacomputer
12-05-2006, 07:10 PM
What L7, a 12? And do you mean if it doesn't fit, just take the old front baffle out, and put on a new one?

Just glue a new baffle on top. I really don't think you will need to do this though. The cutout for the 12L7 is a little bit bigger than 11" so you should be able to just cut out the new square where the RL-p's cutout is.

http://i14.tinypic.com/4e063pd.jpg

THXdts
12-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Just glue a new baffle on top. I really don't think you will need to do this though. The cutout for the 12L7 is a little bit bigger than 11" so you should be able to just cut out the new square where the RL-p's cutout is.

http://i14.tinypic.com/4e063pd.jpg

Cool, thanks. What would the advantage be of a 15 compared to a 12?

MikeyB
12-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Do you have a fiberglass bottom on the box or something? If its just an MDF box then there is no since in try to "re-build" it, just make a new fockin box. If you want to throw an l7 12 in it then just make a new baffle for it and screw it on over it.

THXdts
12-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Do you have a fiberglass bottom on the box or something? If its just an MDF box then there is no since in try to "re-build" it, just make a new fockin box. If you want to throw an l7 12 in it then just make a new baffle for it and screw it on over it.

Why would I rebuild the bottom when it will be the exact same? It is the most I can go in lengh and depth.

MikeyB
12-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Why would I rebuild the bottom when it will be the exact same? It is the most I can go in lengh and depth.

Im not saying rebuild the bottom, I was just trying to figure out why the hell you would want to rebuild this box.

THXdts
12-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Im not saying rebuild the bottom, I was just trying to figure out why the hell you would want to rebuild this box.

To put a 15 in it.

MikeyB
12-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Yes but is completely ridiculous to rebuild a general MDF constructed box.

THXdts
12-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Yes but is completely ridiculous to rebuild a general MDF constructed box.

Yeah, so just build off the bottom?

Immacomputer
12-05-2006, 08:41 PM

What the hell are you trying to accomplish here? Your original post says you want to put a 12" L7 in an enclosure that is now holding a 12" RL-p. If that is still the case, I don't know why you want to rebuild anything. The square cutout will be fine and the circular cutout will not affect it at all. What's this talk about a 15" L7? The 15 will not like the 2.2 or whatever cubic feet.

MikeyB
12-05-2006, 09:51 PM

NO!!!!!! Make a new box all together!!!!!!!!!

I was trying to figure out if you had some custom fiberglass mold for the bottom and thats why you wanted to rebuild it, but it seems like this is just a basic box.

There is no reason to try and rebuild the box, it is stupid and a waste of time.

BUILD A NEW BOX

iamamp3pimp
12-05-2006, 10:16 PM
rebuild is in order.

taking a box apart and rebuilding is next to impossible, and definatlely a waste of valuable time.