PDA

View Full Version : hepl me compete in 07

jaco
12-03-2006, 08:33 PM
i have a 90 CRX, 2 planet audio BB1250.1's
4 kicker comp vr 10's
and want to compete in 07 at all the central
shows around MO.
i just need some advice on enclosure type, now they are sealed in 4.5 cubic ft.
but will ported be better, and where to port ?
also what class will i be in with all stock interior, no wall.
and where will i find rules for that class.
also danny hays lives in my town, he holds worl records 180+ db's but won't take time to help me LOL.
so i hope you guys will give me advice, and i can meet some of you at shows.

xtremekustomz
12-03-2006, 08:37 PM
First of all what are you plans?? Are you just wanting to go straight spl or do you actually want to listen to it as well?

jaco
12-03-2006, 08:39 PM
stright spl but stock on interior, i do drive it all the time

xtremekustomz
12-03-2006, 08:40 PM
rules will depend on what show you are at. dbdragracing.com , iasca.com , soundoff.net , mecacaraudio.com

xtremekustomz
12-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Well without getting too technical with it, build a box as large as you can but stay in the requirements for your class. Then get a cd that plays sub frequencies. You will also need an spl meter for this. You will probably want to start at around 45 hz and go up. Find what frequency has the highest SPL and tune the box about 3 hz above that frequency. I am pretty sure it will have to be tuned below 80 hz though.

I'm not really into spl but this is what I have been told before. Someone else with more experience with spl should be able to correct anything if I have it wrong.

matrxx dude
12-03-2006, 08:48 PM
http://www.termpro.com/dbdrag/rules/

jaco
12-03-2006, 08:48 PM
whats the difference between
street
street max and
super street ?

and which of those should i go for.

xtremekustomz
12-03-2006, 09:08 PM
whats the difference between
street
street max and
super street ?

and which of those should i go for.

It should tell on the website. Just look around.

xtremekustomz
12-03-2006, 09:09 PM
If you are going straigh spl I would get rid of the 10's and get 1 L5 or L7 15!

jaco
12-03-2006, 09:18 PM
i just got the 10's and like 10's
but plan on doing L7 10's around summer time

Ford302Redneck
12-03-2006, 10:24 PM
If you are going straigh spl I would get rid of the 10's and get 1 L5 or L7 15!

are u kidding me?????????

xtremekustomz
12-03-2006, 10:45 PM
are u kidding me?????????

Why would I be kidding?

scplayboy00
12-03-2006, 10:58 PM
NO L5 or L7 for comp. FI ALL the way

stuckinok
12-03-2006, 11:01 PM
audioque or DD or solo x

Ford302Redneck
12-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Why would I be kidding?

If you dont know, I guess thats why you wont win any comps. :rolleyes:

jaco
12-04-2006, 12:13 AM
should i stick with sealed ?
i know i'll get a higher spl with ported but i'm not sure where to port in a crx

coolahan
12-04-2006, 12:18 AM
crx's are easy.. i'm almost postive dante (livinlife) on this forum has a crx that competes.. shoot him a pm and ask him your questions.

j3bus2k3
12-04-2006, 12:43 AM
You need to do a lot of reading on termpro.com

snoopdan
12-04-2006, 12:45 AM
you have a rex and your contemplating sealed? you should be shot accordingly.

seriously though, anyone with any SPL background knows subs up port back on rex's...especially if you have more than one sub....if you have one sub its sub up aeroport(s) to the side.....for reality runs and driveby competitons its subs forward.

all ya need to know right there, lol...or at least a place to start

Louisiana_CRX
12-04-2006, 12:48 AM
I could get your setup in the 150's easily.....;)

Louisiana_CRX
12-04-2006, 12:50 AM

seriously though, anyone with any SPL background knows subs up port back on rex's...especially if you have more than one sub....if you have one sub its sub up aeroport(s) to the side.....for reality runs and driveby competitons its subs forward.

Nothing wrong with sealed if done properly...but I'm with you in a CRX ported is the way to go...:)

jaco
12-04-2006, 03:13 AM

sorry but i don't have any SPL back ground, that's why i'm here.

OK with 4 drivers i have to fire them up.
but if i port out the back of the box the port will be right aginst the back of the hatch, and will be blocked.
so could i fire the port out the rear side of the box ?
and would it be louder on the driver or passenger side of the car ?

bdawson72
12-04-2006, 08:36 AM
dammit port them

Johnny Drama
12-04-2006, 11:10 AM
L5's and L7's took almost every stock class in USACi in '06 ;)

Dont let anyone tell you not to run kicker :)

K...since you are in MO, most of the shows you will be seeing will be USACi shows.
You can use the 10s you have now, or switch to the L5 or L7 10s. Since you dont have a ton of power I would suggest the L5s. Most people see better gains on them with lower power.

Another thing I would siggest if get 12" L5s instead of the 10" you are looking at.

Build your box sub up and port back.
2 choices...slot port of aero port. IMO Aeros in a CRX is best. I'd do somewhere ~1.2-1.7 cubes each. Run the aero ports (2 4" or 1 6" for each box) out of the box facing the rear.
Use this site to tune the lenth... www.psp-inc.com (http://www.psp-inc.com)
Your car will be its loudest in the upper 50s to low 60s herts range. I would start your tuning at 50hz and work your way up.

CRX's arent hard to get loud...just build and test is what it takes. You may want to look into getting a mic to test with. That way you arent guessing...you know what numbers you are doing.

(link to organizations that you can compete in)
www.soundoff.org (http://www.soundoff.org) (USACi)
www.termpro.com (http://www.termpro.com) (Db Drag & place to get mic for testing)

Enjoy the sport...Its a blast :)

lilmaniac2
12-04-2006, 11:16 AM
wow all the bad advice in here is killing me

for a crx i have had my best luck with 2 10s

subs up port back work just fine in a rex

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b276/lilmaniac2/DSCN0336.jpg

did a 153 so im sure you will do just fine....

now im pretty sure u can build all the way to the b pillar and if thats true you should just build 2 1 cube boxes with a single six inch aero for each do the subs firing forward and port firing back and you could be loud :)

:fyi:edit my rex plays 69 hz:fyi:

xtremekustomz
12-04-2006, 12:05 PM
If you dont know, I guess thats why you wont win any comps. :rolleyes:

I now lots of people that have had VERY good results from Solo Barics. And no, I'm not a bass head. I like for my music to sound good :) And obviously he likes Kicker so that is one reason I said that. I know there are better spl woofers out there but I don't think the prices compare.

Louisiana_CRX
12-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Everyone that knows me on this forum knows I'm a big DD fan...but there is nothing wrong with your Kickers and having a crx with the amps and subs you have I'm pretty sure if set up for SPL you should easily exceed 150dbs....It will need to be ported though....A 150 will be extremly competitive at local shows....

jaco
12-04-2006, 07:16 PM
everyone keeps saying fire the port back but if my box will fit tight aginst the back of the car there wont be any room between the port and the back of the car.
how much room will i need between the port and back of the car ?

and give me some idea of where to tune for spl and some listning

bumpin focus
12-05-2006, 08:34 PM
How much room do you have between the port and the hatch.

jaco
12-05-2006, 09:56 PM
the enclousure i have in there is right aginst the back of the car.

bumpin focus
12-06-2006, 12:46 AM
port it up or a wall

jaco
12-06-2006, 01:09 AM
would it be louder if i port up or out the back sides.
i still don't know where to tune at.
i'm thinking around 40hz

audiofusion_spl
12-07-2006, 11:23 PM
If you are taking up all the room in the back of the crx, you are making your boxes to big for spl. Generally on a kicker sub all you need is just over 1 cubic foot. Fire the woofers forward and aeroports directly out the back of the box (yes they will stickout) and then shorten the port to the desired freqency (likely to be around 55-60 hz). Anyway this box is like others have spoke of on here and it has proven itself many times. But its just for spl. I'm about to do my build on my crx and ill keep u posted with pics and tips.