PDA

View Full Version : $400 Limit.. Best/loudest system you could make?

Miller5103
12-03-2006, 07:02 PM
As it states... I have a $400 limit.. what is the best system I can put together... It will be used for parties and every day music listening so the louder the better.. more bass the better... what do you think?

dvrmstrng
12-03-2006, 07:07 PM
used home audio receiver off ebay would be less than 100...dayton 120 sub package off partsexpress.com for $185 to your door and then search some garage sales for some old floor speakers usually less than $30 for a pair....get two pairs...and youll have some money left over

Scoobydoo
12-03-2006, 07:16 PM
for $400 you can get loud for parties, but it is gonna sound like crap for everyday listening

gotta figure out your priorities

loud volumes, lower end speakers = good for parties, **** for everyday(ex. huge cheap towers with big woofers on them)
medium volumes, better speakers = ok for parties, better for everyday(ex. cheaper bookselves with a large cheap sub)
low volumes = ***** for parties, great for everyday(ex. better bookshelves with a medium size sub)

IMO;)

Miller5103
12-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I would put more priority on loud for parties more than everyday listening... where could i find large towers with big woofers in my price range and the amps/revcievers to power them?

As far as the other suggestion... i'm assuming Dayton makes good powered subs? and what should i do about floor speakers.. i'm assuming i dont want to get piece of crap speakers... but that setup sounds good.. i think a powered sub would probably be more effective then say, towers or what not wouldnt they?

acold7dusta
12-03-2006, 07:34 PM
i can sell you a pair of kenwood towers for real cheap, PM for pics and more info

Scoobydoo
12-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Infinity made some huge towers in the mid 90's with big 15" woofers that got extremely loud with not much power, not sure on model numbers

The FS section here and ebay is going to be your friend

Lunchbocks
12-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Half a dozen used JVC shelf systems off e-bay... ftw

Miller5103
12-03-2006, 08:32 PM
thats not a bad idea with the JVC shelf system. I already have a shelf system at home that I could use. So how would I hook everything up together. Can i connect a shelf system, and the power subwoofer to a reciever and have them all run off of that? or should I just plug the shelf speakers directly into the reciever and plug the subwoofer into the reciever as well?

So essentially all I would need is a recieiver and a powered sub to go along with the shelf speakers I already have

kotec123
12-03-2006, 09:44 PM
i have the jvc hx-gd8...most powerful one theyve made...550 watts and 2 8 inch subs and 4 woofers....2 tweets....dolby dts, dvd player, tape , and alot more.....its ****in loud as **** too...

just something u shud look into

heyman421
12-03-2006, 09:50 PM
get a $30 SPL meter from wallie world, yell at a decent volume, and max it out, and spend the other $370 on whippits and pr0/V

Miller5103
12-04-2006, 12:09 AM
this may be a stupid question... but can I use a subwoofer plate amplifier for dj speakers? I'm thinking maybe i can get two Dayton 240watt amplifiers to run two dj speakers for $200 rather then get some cheap pyramid amp for the same price... Are dayton amps known to be nicer then pyramid amps?

acold7dusta
12-04-2006, 12:11 AM
those daytons are for subs, not full range speakers. and id say dayton > pyramid

Flipx99
12-04-2006, 01:19 AM
go to www.hhgregg.com

You can get two R300 floorstanding and two R150 bookshelf for $199.99 plus tax. I just ordered them. May not bt great, but I am mostly wanting one to have one. I got the elemental designs $25 dollar sub. So now I am at ~$250, plus an amp ($99 dayton amp remains)and I am good to go.

The only thing I would be concerned about if you do this mix-and-match thing is connections. For instance, my reciever only has a "subwoofer out" instead of RCAs. I am unsure if there is a subwoofer to RCA splitter that would work with the dayton amp, which is why I haven't bought it yet.

Bolognablake
12-04-2006, 05:02 PM
These:

http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/magna/index.html

plus just about any home receiver, and you'll be good to go. It'll also give you a chance to flex your DIY skillz.