PDA

View Full Version : Turn off HU amp and use amp?

ksauers
12-03-2006, 01:31 PM
I have a few questions
Turning off the HU amp gives you better sound Right?
Can you turn off the HU amp for just the front speakers and not the rears?
Right now it sounds better with rear fill and I have the same speakers front and rear.When I get much better front speakers will that still be the case? So should I have just fronts on the amp no rear fill,or front and rear with HU amp and just fronts on external amp, or 4 channel but with a 4 channel the rear speakers will be inferior to the fronts, will they drag the sound down?

Prowler573
12-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I have a few questions
Turning off the HU amp gives you better sound Right?
Most companies that offer HUs that feature the option to defeat the HU's internal amp claim that doing so cleans up the preamp signal being sent to the RCA outputs. I've not done any A/B comparo testing to see if that's true or not but what I do know for certain is that without the internal amp being used it lessens the heat buildup within the unit and that leads to better potential longevity overall. When you're investing a decent amount of coin for a solid HU longer life is always a good thing in my book. :)

Can you turn off the HU amp for just the front speakers and not the rears?
To my knowledge there isn't a HU with that particular feature. As far as I know the decks that offer the ability to kill the deck's internal amp will allow for either complete On or complete Off.

Right now it sounds better with rear fill and I have the same speakers front and rear.When I get much better front speakers will that still be the case?
There's no way to know until you make that upgrade.

So should I have just fronts on the amp no rear fill,or front and rear with HU amp and just fronts on external amp, or 4 channel but with a 4 channel the rear speakers will be inferior to the fronts, will they drag the sound down?
That specific argument may never be settled completely. There are some that just hate the use of rear fill to any degree and will tell you that doing so is a waste of resources. Others, like myself, not only like rear fill but strong rear fill and consequently use quality drivers for that purpose and amplify them as well as their front stage.
Like I previously stated...there's really no way to tell you how something that you've offered no specifics for (such as type of speakers being used, amount of power given to them, etc) so the only real advice to be given is try it and see!

ksauers
12-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Right now I have Memphis MClas 5x7s. Amps I've cosidered,Audison Srx,US xt 800.2 or Eclipse. Power between 65x2 to 100x2. New fronts will be? Can't decide how much I can afford lol. Would prefer Rainbow Profi 230 or 265. Focal k2p,OZ ME 180, haven't heard these Rainbows yet. Actually would like something between the OZ's and Focals but don't have a clue what that would be yet.

matrxx dude
12-03-2006, 01:58 PM
the memphis wont hold up over about 40 watts rms a piece,done been there and done that,and yes all my xovers were set correctly.

helotaxi
12-03-2006, 02:21 PM
I would get away from the oval speakers first and then worry about amps. Save a bit more money and get a good set of 5 1/4 (or 6.5 if you can get them to fit) components and add an amp at the same time.

ksauers
12-03-2006, 02:37 PM
I would get away from the oval speakers first and then worry about amps. Save a bit more money and get a good set of 5 1/4 (or 6.5 if you can get them to fit) components and add an amp at the same time.

The new fronts,whatever they may be, will be 5.25 or 6.5.

helotaxi
12-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Pick out the final front speakers that you want and base your amp decision on those, not on the speakers that you have currently.