PDA

View Full Version : Another tweeter positioning thread

zSnb
12-02-2006, 02:25 PM
I just bought some JL XR650 CSi's and i cant wait to hear the difference between those and my stock speakers. I drive a 2003 Dodge Neon and the stock tweets are in the dash pointing towards the windshield. To anyone who has had experience with these speakers, what would be the optimal positioning for the tweets??? Are they better off axis or on axis??? I guess if i really need to i can mount them on the A pillar. Any help on this is appreciated.

Decipha
12-02-2006, 02:27 PM
never mount tweets on the a pillar or pointing toward the windshield!!!

mount the tweets on axis as close to the mids as you can

blue
12-02-2006, 03:23 PM
I just bought some JL XR650 CSi's and i cant wait to hear the difference between those and my stock speakers. I drive a 2003 Dodge Neon and the stock tweets are in the dash pointing towards the windshield. To anyone who has had experience with these speakers, what would be the optimal positioning for the tweets??? Are they better off axis or on axis??? I guess if i really need to i can mount them on the A pillar. Any help on this is appreciated.

I can help ya ;) Here's my little 550 whp Neon :up2somet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/SRTBlue/cars/ca4-1.jpg

I've tried the tweeters in EVERY concievable location , as well as I've installed probably 25 systems in SRT-4s , due to people hearing my system at SRT meets.
The very best placement I have heard using separates in Neons is with the tweets in the A-pillars. They are close enough to the woofer to blend VERY well with almost ZERO phasing issues .... HTH

smd4life
12-02-2006, 03:26 PM
nice car blue...

evan
12-02-2006, 03:26 PM
I can help ya ;) The very best placement I have heard using separates in Neons is with the tweets in the A-pillars. They are close enough to the woofer to blend VERY well with almost ZERO phasing issues .... HTH
Did you face them toward each other? Do you have any pics?

Chevyaudio
12-02-2006, 03:27 PM

:imstupid:

MBrock4u
12-02-2006, 05:10 PM
I don't know if it is the best, but I have mine in the A pillars as well. Sounds good to me.

Johnny Drama
12-02-2006, 05:23 PM

Why?

There is nothing wrong with mounting your tweets off axis to use the front window for the reflections. If you have an adiquate EQ there is absolutly no reason that you cant.

Mine are pointed at the window. They will also soon be pointed more directly at it soon.

alphakenny1
12-02-2006, 05:47 PM

never? i have mine mounted and it sounds great. it all depends on your install but if you are running passives and not bi-amping yes it is best to put the tweeters as close to the mid as possible as you can't time align an individual speaker. but if bi-amped then its okay to put the speakers on the pillars if it has good off axis response.

zSnb
12-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I like your car alot Blue. You said you have your tweets mounted on the a pillars. Is it the side of the a pillar facing the windshield or the side facing straight at you??? I was under the impression that having tweets pointed straight at your face makes them sound a bit harsh.

Torgus
12-02-2006, 07:01 PM
metal tweeters sound harsh.

alphakenny1
12-02-2006, 08:56 PM
metal tweeters sound harsh.

not true my friend. its all about how you install it and then tuning. my lotus tweets are aluminum and are butter.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I like your car alot Blue. You said you have your tweets mounted on the a pillars. Is it the side of the a pillar facing the windshield or the side facing straight at you??? I was under the impression that having tweets pointed straight at your face makes them sound a bit harsh.

as stated earlier its all about how you like your music. some people like it to have on axis, some like it off axis. in my particular install, if i had the tweets in the pillars facing at my (on axis), the sound stage was too in my face and i couldn't handle it.

blue
12-02-2006, 11:01 PM
never? i have mine mounted and it sounds great. it all depends on your install but if you are running passives and not bi-amping yes it is best to put the tweeters as close to the mid as possible as you can't time align an individual speaker. but if bi-amped then its okay to put the speakers on the pillars if it has good off axis response.

You are right Kenny. However when I went to measure for the time alignment in my car , I found a truly strange thing. The distance from my ear to the driver's side mid-bass driver , measured within 1/2" of the driver's side tweeter , when the tweeters were placed in the A-pillars . The passenger side speakers also measured within 1/2" ! Kind of ironic huh ? This makes time alignment for the individual drivers unnecessary when using passives in this particular car.

blue
12-02-2006, 11:02 PM

They face directly straight across the dash at each other. It looka lika dis .... he he he.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/SRTBlue/aa.jpg

Motovet
12-03-2006, 03:43 PM
You are right Kenny. However when I went to measure for the time alignment in my car , I found a truly strange thing. The distance from my ear to the driver's side mid-bass driver , measured within 1/2" of the driver's side tweeter , when the tweeters were placed in the A-pillars . The passenger side speakers also measured within 1/2" ! Kind of ironic huh ? This makes time alignment for the individual drivers unnecessary when using passives in this particular car.

I noticed the same in my Gm's. Mids are so low the distance is very close to the same. Thing is I have the tweetes on axis close to the mids in my truck, and tweets in the pillars for the Tahoe. I'm not sure which I like best, but obviously the tweets are louder in the truck untill I have time to EQ the Tahoe.

helotaxi
12-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Blue, that's technically the sail panel, but...

I have the same car ('03) and mine are in on the actual A-pillar about 6" above the dash. The aiming currently has them pointed at the upper rear corner of the opposite side front window. Previously they were sitting on the dash on a slight angle mount and basically horn-loaded off the junction of the dash and windshield.

Placement and aiming is going to depend on the tweeter; different tweets have different on and off axis response characteristics. The type of filter used between the mid and tweet will have an effect as well.

Bouncing sound off the windshield is not usually a good idea. The difference in phasing between the direct and reflected sound creates a comb filtering effect that can't be fixed with EQ.

bangandow
12-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Bouncing sound off the windshield is not usually a good idea. The difference in phasing between the direct and reflected sound creates a comb filtering effect that can't be fixed with EQ.

Wouldn't that problem be alleviated, though, if you aimed the tweets more towards the windshield to minimize direct sound?

helotaxi
12-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Unless you use some kind of wave guide, a tweet still has a propagation pattern. You will get direct sound in excess of 60deg off axis from the tweet. If you are trying to get the most tonally accurate sound out of your system, you want to minimize reflected sound in the upper frequencies as much as possible as reflections will color the sound.