PDA

View Full Version : remote start/keyless entry/alarm

xluben
12-02-2006, 10:42 AM
i am thinking of getting a remote start for my car, but i figured i might as well get a combined unit to save myself some time/money in the future.

i have a 99 honda accord sedan I4 w/manual transmission.

here is my list of priorities (most important first):

-price
-remote start
-keyless entry
-alarm
-2-way paging

i would like to go as cheap as possible, MAX price of $200 installed. if there aren't any decent remote start/alarms in that range i may just stick to the remote start for now. my car is parked in a well lit parking lot about 20ft from my window (at night), so i'm not too worried about break-ins. and i wouldn't mind if it was only around $100 (or less) :)

also, i would prefer to have it professionally installed (probably by a chain store, not many car audio shops around here) but if you can assure me that i can do it in an afternoon and not have any problems i could try it myself.

lastly, it is a manual transmission so the remote start must be compatibly with that.

baseballer1100
12-02-2006, 10:44 AM
I think it will be hard to find something with all those features for 200 installed. Installing in my city best was like 150. And that was with some joke shop.

xluben
12-02-2006, 10:51 AM
yeah, if it's not at all possible to get those features for that price (i'm pretty sure it's not) i'd be willing to go with a cheaper model with less features.

some of the stuff at circuit city looks ok, but this is at the bottom of all their online listings:

Professional installation required. For use with fuel-injected, automatic transmission vehicles only.

so i don't think they'll install on a manual transmission :(

baseballer1100
12-02-2006, 10:53 AM
I got my alarm 791xv or whatever for about 360 installed. I couldnt be happier.

KaeZoo
12-02-2006, 11:30 AM
DEI (Viper) doesn't make any remote starts for manual transmission vehicles. The major brands that I know of that make manual transmission remote starts are Ultra, (http://www.ultrastarters.com/dealer_locator.html) Compustar, (http://www.compustar.org/dealer_locator.htm) and Scytek. You can try to find a local dealer, or just call your local shops and ask if they carry manual transmission remote starts. Even dealers for those manufacturers may not be willing to do manuals.

$200 isn't nearly enough to budget for a combo system; it might cover a remote start alone. Expect to pay more for keyless entry. Note that the cost of installation outweighs the cost of the product, and every shop in your area that does remote starts is extremely busy right now and about to get even busier.

kool-aid
12-02-2006, 01:37 PM
haha i remember at this shop i went to some ******* wanted a remote start on his manual and they said they wouldnt do it, so he went and found one who would and one day he remote started his car after leaving it in gear and it ran him over

THUNDERBIRD
12-02-2006, 10:08 PM
haha i remember at this shop i went to some ******* wanted a remote start on his manual and they said they wouldnt do it, so he went and found one who would and one day he remote started his car after leaving it in gear and it ran him over

that happened to my buddy but he installs and used to professonaily them all the time on the side. but his did a circle in the lot and crashed into 3 cars totaling them

xluben
12-05-2006, 12:19 AM
isn't there some kind of relay that can sense if the manual is in neutral or not?

THUNDERBIRD
12-08-2006, 02:19 PM
it would have to be a parking break sensor too.