PDA

View Full Version : Interior box corner help. fill/smooth it out?

SoundName
12-01-2006, 06:41 PM
When making a ported enclosure, do you have to fill the inside corners of the boxes up? I don't really know how to word the question. I am talking about the scrap mdf that people cut 45 degree cuts and glue them on the interior corners of the box/port bends and some people fiberglass/round the corners? I've searched, really didn't work out. boo

Sorry for the lack of knowledge. If you comprehend, is it neccessary to do this in your ported box? What if you don't, is that bad? I don't have a tool that can cut 45 degree cuts and i certainly do not have the know how and talent to fiberglass:crying:

Thanks!

.::DuD3::.
12-01-2006, 06:44 PM
i know what you mean. i see people that do it alot, i have no experience with ported boxes so i cant really tell you. i would guess it allows the sound waves to exit smoother for a better flat response.

djman37
12-01-2006, 06:46 PM
When making a ported enclosure, do you have to fill the inside corners of the boxes up? I don't really know how to word the question. I am talking about the scrap mdf that people cut 45 degree cuts and glue them on the interior corners of the box/port bends and some people fiberglass/round the corners? I've searched, really didn't work out. boo

Sorry for the lack of knowledge. If you comprehend, is it neccessary to do this in your ported box? What if you don't, is that bad? I don't have a tool that can cut 45 degree cuts and i certainly do not have the know how and talent to fiberglass:crying:

Thanks!

it's not necessary.

Immacomputer
12-01-2006, 06:57 PM
It's not needed but it can help reduce air velocity. Air is moving back and forth in the port and if the port is too small, or if there are too many points of resistance (corners and bends) then there will possibly be too much turbulence. Rounding corners or adding corner blocks can reduce the turbulence but there won't be a huge difference.

Filling corners also helps keep the port width the same throughout the length of the port. If you don't block off the corner, you will have a port that varies in width for an inch or two. This is where the turbulence will occur. Think about water flowing back and forth through the port and it could possibly help you visualize how the water may have back currents cause by it not being helped around the corner.

Is all this going to make a huge difference? Not really. If you're skilled enough to do it, there is no reason not to. If you're not so skilled, don't worry about it.