PDA

View Full Version : Speakers cut-out at high volumes

The Ste
12-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I have an old kenwood headunit (dont know the model) but it gives out an output of 4x35W.
I have installed the TL-1692 6x9 speakers directly to it with no extra amp.(http://www.theloudest.co.uk/?sectionid=2&page=view_product&product_id=81)

When i turn the volume up the sound cuts-off like there is too much power going to the speakers. This is strange because the speakers have a power handling capability of 150W RMS and 500W peak.

Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know what is going on??

Cheers

acold7dusta
12-01-2006, 02:35 PM
bad ground

The Ste
12-01-2006, 02:46 PM
A bad ground with the battery??

ultimate157
12-01-2006, 03:03 PM
lol @ 1kw "peak" 6x9.

Check your wiring.

frzninvt
12-01-2006, 03:09 PM
It is not the speaker nor the ground you are simply overdriving the little internal amplifier in the head unit. While rated at 4 x 35W, realistically you are only really getting about 12-18 watts RMS to those speakers. You are driving the internal amp into clipping and the square waveforms and causing the sound to cycle.

If you want it loud get an external amp, even a small one will make a tremendous difference over the deck's internal power.

oneflatoniakid
12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
It is not the speaker nor the ground you are simply overdriving the little internal amplifier in the head unit. While rated at 4 x 35W, realistically you are only really getting about 12-18 watts RMS to those speakers. You are driving the internal amp into clipping and the square waveforms and causing the sound to cycle.

If you want it loud get an external amp, even a small one will make a tremendous difference over the deck's internal power.
I agree.
On my Mustang, I have a small 200 watt amp hook up with my backspeaker subs only & I let the internal amp boost the front speakers .
It really made a big difference in sound quailty .
Especialy if you like to listen to your tunes at a high volume. :)