PDA

View Full Version : Box design Help

U n r e a L
11-30-2006, 01:06 PM
this is my second box im making for my L7s .... the one i have now is a ported box but its one big open chamber inside the box with the port on the left side....ehhhh its loud but i want it to sound a little cleaner.....

the enclousure i am know workin on will have 2 chambers for each woofer and have 2 ports in the middle..... does anyone know how much difference a box will have if they are in separate chambers of one chamber?

rpfuror
11-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Ok,

If you compare equal box designs, meaning one box is build to the same specs as the other only doubling the volume and compensating for driver displacement and port volume differences. IE the box is designed and constructed correctly; they will be equal in performance.

There are a couple benefits of having separate chambers; mainly one volume will not be dependant on the other. So if by chance you blow or damage a driver you can still run with the good driver.

PV Audio
11-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Ok,

If you compare equal box designs, meaning one box is build to the same specs as the other only doubling the volume and compensating for driver displacement and port volume differences. IE the box is designed and constructed correctly; they will be equal in performance.

There are a couple benefits of having separate chambers; mainly one volume will not be dependant on the other. So if by chance you blow or damage a driver you can still run with the good driver.
Having seperate chambers doesn't change a thing. Instead of having a sub in a not optimal airspace, you are still giving it 2x the power it was getting before, thus, it'll fail thermally whereas it could go either way before.

rpfuror
12-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Having seperate chambers doesn't change a thing. Instead of having a sub in a not optimal airspace, you are still giving it 2x the power it was getting before, thus, it'll fail thermally whereas it could go either way before.

You are actually agreeing with me..

When I say blow or damage, I mean enough to open the boxes volume to the outside atmosphere, which intern will greatly increase the internal volume to the :good: driver, therefore putting more of a load on the driver (typically thermal as you stated).