PDA

View Full Version : since...

1loudsuv
11-30-2006, 10:21 AM
i havent got a clear answer on the avs forum wich would you pick? i heard the defs the other day at a local dealer and it makes my setup sound like ish i need something better now

second choice on the bottom looks better but i love how the defs have built in subs so i can get rid of my space hugging one. i know the center channel the b&w most likely will sound better then the def tech's but still if anyone has any experience with either let me know. the faster the better i need something now

heres a couple of my choices

pair of these (http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/powertower/powertower.html#7000sc)

and one of these (http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/clr/clr.html#2002)

or system two

a pair of these (http://www.hometheaterstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=704)

and one of these (http://www.hometheaterstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HTM4S)

1loudsuv
11-30-2006, 10:23 AM
oh yah the b&ws are really pushing my budget but if their really that much better then the rest oh well ill get them heres another setup ive been looking at

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=11.1

TXST8tj
11-30-2006, 12:13 PM
the def techs you listed are more expensive than the B&Ws. you can't loose with either though. different sound, so it's totally what your ears hear. i like B&W, but their higher end stuff starts looking a little too "mod" for me. i don't really need to have a decoration piece of a speaker, and i'm certainly not going to pay that much for it. simple craftsmanship should be enough....and on nice speakers, it is.
guess that's just not what i look for.

what are you going to run for the rears?

1loudsuv
11-30-2006, 03:20 PM
cant afford rear right now ill use my old bookshelf's lol

from what i hear the b&w's are the best but i dunno i need to demo them. ive demoed just the thecs and they sounded awesome

joetama
12-01-2006, 02:08 AM
First off, listen to the B&W's. They will sell you just by listening. The HTM-4S might not mesh with the 704's perfectly, but you might be better going with the HTM-7 saving a little money and then spending it on the 703 mains (but the HTM-7's don't mesh perfectly either, they need one in-between with a little more bass response). I personally have the HTM-7 and I really don't notice it being much different and I'm super picky. There is only one movie where I really noticed it, and that was Layer Cake and it was during one dialog part. The HTM-4S is voiced more for the 804S series which sounds much different than the 703/4’s… So give them a listen….

joetama
12-01-2006, 02:08 AM
What are you going to be using electronics wise?

nJizm's Lady
12-01-2006, 02:12 AM
hey vajina!! you look old in that pic.

ngsm13
12-01-2006, 02:13 AM
First off, listen to the B&W's. They will sell you just by listening. The HTM-4S might not mesh with the 704's perfectly, but you might be better going with the HTM-7 saving a little money and then spending it on the 703 mains (but the HTM-7's don't mesh perfectly either, they need one in-between with a little more bass response). I personally have the HTM-7 and I really don't notice it being much different and I'm super picky. There is only one movie where I really noticed it, and that was Layer Cake and it was during one dialog part. The HTM-4S is voiced more for the 804S series which sounds much different than the 703/4’s… So give them a listen….

I'd listen to this guy... unfortunately.

nG

joetama
12-01-2006, 02:42 AM
hey vajina!! you look old in that pic.

**** it Emily... No one is to know my real name!!

I'd listen to this guy... unfortunately.

nG

I do know my B&W lines don't I... haha....

joetama
12-02-2006, 02:28 AM
SO you never answered my question about what you are going to use to drive the system????? That is a VERY important part!

1loudsuv
12-02-2006, 04:08 PM
SO you never answered my question about what you are going to use to drive the system????? That is a VERY important part!

depending how much i spend on the speakers i only got 4 grand tops to spend i can get all those system for that or less. but right now all i got is a yamaha 5.1 120 watt x5 receiver. it will have to do for at least 6 months then i will buy something crazy save up anywhere from 2-3 grand for it.

but thats another thing i dunno wtf to get LOL

it has to have hdmi input and ouput and have to be hdcp compliant or at least have analog 5.1 inputs and alot of power.

or should i keep my receiver and get seperate amps???

joetama
12-02-2006, 04:53 PM
With the B&W I would say go seperate. I'm a big fan of the Rotel equipment with the B&W loudspeakers. Rotel is very well build and sounds fantastic especially for it's price.

Is there are reason you have to have HDMI?

1loudsuv
12-02-2006, 07:21 PM
well since mostly im gonna use it for movies like about 70% im thinking of buying the new hd-dvd a2 or if mine breaks.

and the a2 you can get truhd and dolby digital plus through hdmi the player itself has the decoders.

with my a1 i got both analog and hdmi but my receiver doesnt have hdmi but it does have analog but the a2 wont have analog so most likely i need a receiver with hdmi

ngsm13
12-02-2006, 07:28 PM
As EhRon has said, go out and listen to the B&W's... then you'll definitely be sold on them... I have no doubts.

I'd stick with his recommendations, I've listened to his setup a lot... and been with him most of the time when we go to Audible Elegance (Local High End audio dealer)... and the step up to the 703's is well worth it... and stick with an HTM-7 for the center channel as it'll match/blend better.

Dedicated 2channel amplifier is the way to go for the mains at least...

nG

Pl8er
12-02-2006, 07:31 PM
B&W *drool* They get great feedback in stereophile. I've only heard the 705's (bookshelf, same range though) and they were FANTASTIC! I'm sure these could only be better.

ngsm13
12-02-2006, 07:32 PM
B&W *drool* They get great feedback in stereophile. I've only heard the 705's (bookshelf, same range though) and they were FANTASTIC! I'm sure these could only be better.

LOTS. To say the least.

nG

joetama
12-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Well honestly if you want the 'purest' video signal you want to run it directly to the display, and skip over the receiver connection. For example, I'm looking at getting a Pioneer Elite Plasma TV. I'm not going with the PRO-FHD1 or anything of that caliber just the Pro-940HD, and I plan on running my DVD player component outs directly to the TV. Also, I don't necessarily see much use with going to the HDMI unless you "HAVE" to have the audio and video together or are running 1080p. People will say "It's Digital to Digital so it's cleaner and better" well, sometimes digital to digital conversions are much more difficult than analog ones. Also, data gets transferred in slight analog distortion, but if a big gets dropped it could be rather noticeable. 1080p I believe will only run on HDMI (or I'm pretty sure DVI if you run the conversion plug from HDMI to DVI if that's what you display has, but I'm sure you Sony has HDMI) so if you did get a Blue Ray or HD-DVD player you would need to use the HDMI, but if I personally was running 1080p/i I would run directly to the display.

So, basically the best way to do a setup in the range is Video directly to the display (for maximum signal integrity) and run analog outs for music (CD’s, DVD-Audio, SACD *6 channels) and run Digital Coax for the audio. Played around with it in all different configurations, and this, in my opinion is the best way to do it. If you want to know why I do something a particular way ask… I’ll tell you…

joetama
12-02-2006, 07:45 PM

B&W's bookshelf speakers are very good (I have heard others I like just a wee little tiny bit better), but their more complex systes from 2 1/2 to 3 way usually are very very very good.

ngsm13
12-02-2006, 07:47 PM
I believe component hookups do 1080p :fyi:

At least my Xbox360 has the option of it with just the regular ComponentAV Cables on the HD setting.

nG

joetama
12-02-2006, 07:48 PM
I believe component hookups do 1080p :fyi:

At least my Xbox360 has the option of it with just the regular ComponentAV Cables on the HD setting.

nG

Well... **** now I'm going to have to call Julio or do some reading to figure out the true answer to that one.....