PDA

View Full Version : want to build a pair of MTM speakers

LilBassGuy
11-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Hey guys

Haven't posted in awhile. Ever since i built those zaphaudio hivi bs3 projects, I have just been sitting back listening to music on my computer. Now, it is time to start planning a simple yet great sounding mini home theater.

It is going in my apartment, and will be used for both music and movies. I am not going to do a surround sound setup because of the space limitations, and because I got a good deal on a cheap 100Wx2 reciever (which says must be 8 or 16 ohm speakers). So now my question:

I have found a couple ideas of what I might want to build:

http://zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=302-930

Problem with the first one is that I cannot find anywhere on the page where it tells the total impedance of the speaker, and it cant drop below 8 or I am not sure what my cheap amplifier will do.

Problem with the second one is that it says it is a 4 ohm speaker, which might not work either. Any way to adjust the impedence by adding a resistor or something?

Or how can I calculate the impedence of the zaphaudio project?

By the way, here is a link to the reciever I bought:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sherwood-Stereo-Receiver-RX-4105/sem/rpsm/oid/121266/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#tabs

Thanks for all replies! :)

LilBassGuy
11-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Also, this setup will be used with a subwoofer, not sure which yet, havent decided what to build/buy :)

baseballer1100
11-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Have you looked at ascendant audios set? They have plans and everything.

LilBassGuy
11-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Are you talking about a subwoofer kit or a MTM kit? I havent looked at their website yet. Gonna do a search later to see if any forums have any good reviews for them.

baseballer1100
11-29-2006, 11:30 PM
mtm kit.

LilBassGuy
11-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Ahh I see it, the Arbiter MTM, which would cost me about the same as the aforementioned projects. Problem still exists, I dont want to cause problems matching impedance to the amp. I think I need at least 8 ohms. Which projects meet this requirement?

http://ascendantaudio.com/Arbiter_MTM.html

LilBassGuy
11-30-2006, 03:11 PM
somebody's gotta know, this is such a noob question :)

johnson
11-30-2006, 04:39 PM
www.htguide.com (http://www.htguide.com) > mission possible > mission accomplished > Natalie P

LilBassGuy
11-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the link, I checked out the site and the forums. Seems to be alot of smart peoples there. I posted a thread similar to this one.

Is that what you had in mind? Or was I supposed to keep searching thru the forums till i found the answer to my stupid question? :)

LilBassGuy
11-30-2006, 08:09 PM
waaiitt a minute i get it, i found that project, thanks for the help!

but wait, the impedance curve for the setup dips below 5 ohms for a good chunk of the midbass region...wont this cause a problem with my reciever (limited to 8 ohms or greater?)

thylantyr
12-01-2006, 11:50 AM
One school of thought says. Build some quality speakers and upgrade the power
plant later if it's too weak to drive them. What do you want? cheap speakers
+ cheap receiver *or* quality speakers with the upgrade path to a better source
later? The Zaph and HTguide designs are good ones to follow.

LilBassGuy
12-01-2006, 12:06 PM
hey thy, i want quality speakers, have no doubt about that :) My power plant is good for 100 watts @ 8 ohms which should be plenty to drive a nice pair of mains. Since they will be mains I figured something with a couple of decent midrange woofers would suffice due to the extra cone area and bigger sound.

Ultimately, I want to spend LESS than 500 (400 is better for me) on a nice pair of mains. Wanna build them myself. But those designs all seem to produce an nominal 4 ohm impedance. I would rather not design something myself as that might lead to failure. Whats your advice? :)

joetama
12-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Just my $.02 on this. Go with anything but the ASSendent set.

I would categorize the arbiter set at mediocre at best… It’s not bad but you can do much better….

LilBassGuy
12-01-2006, 12:57 PM
thanks for the input B&W, although its discouraging cuz its the only kit I have found that is an 8 ohm nominal load (my reciever needs an 8+ ohm load).

I do appreciate the honestly tho, I need to hear from people who have actually heard the speakers. Thanks for the advice :) .

thylantyr
12-01-2006, 01:38 PM
hey thy, i want quality speakers, have no doubt about that :) My power plant is good for 100 watts @ 8 ohms which should be plenty to drive a nice pair of mains. Since they will be mains I figured something with a couple of decent midrange woofers would suffice due to the extra cone area and bigger sound.

Ultimately, I want to spend LESS than 500 (400 is better for me) on a nice pair of mains. Wanna build them myself. But those designs all seem to produce an nominal 4 ohm impedance. I would rather not design something myself as that might lead to failure. Whats your advice? :)

If you think about it, there is only two paths to getting quality speakers.
You engineer them yourself or use a proven design from a reputable source.
Engineering the speakers yourself, DIY style is fun, takes time and money.
If you don't have the time and extra money to spend money on DIY experimentation to get
the best design for you, then you have to gamble on a proven design from
the folks mentioned. It's also gambling because reputable designs won't
guarantee that you will be satsified either, look at some high end home audio
speaker manufacturers who have proven winners, those designs won't satisfy
everyone. Essentially you have to pick the lesser of the evils -- to spend the time
and extra money by engineering your own - or do you gamble on a reputable
design and accept it's sonic personality?

I place speakers at the top of the SQ list. So, I would find some designs that
have testimonials behind them from other builders and worry about the 4 ohm -
8 ohm impedance issue last. If your receiver is cutting out and can't drive the
quality speakers then you need to upgrade it. You can buy used sources for
much less than brand new. Look at reputable receiver brands known to drive
speakers better even if impedance dips low, ie Denon, Onyko, etc., *or* if
your receiver has RCA preamp out, get a seperate power amp to drive the speakers.

LilBassGuy
12-01-2006, 02:27 PM
I guess that makes sense. I figured find out which designs are 8 ohms first and then find out which have proven testimonials second.

What I have come to realize is that an MTM isnt a MUST, and I am sure there are plenty of MT designs that will be sufficient enough to be the mains for my apartment home theater. That will definately open up my options what will work with my reciever.

Plus, its an apartment, maybe the MTMs woulda been way too loud anyways.

Thoughts?

thylantyr
12-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Probably tiny computer speakers are too loud for an apartment // hehe //

If it was me, I'd make the loudspeaker that gives me happiness and worry
less about it's ability to annoy people. SPL is controlled by the user and
the volume knob // hehe //

Creating big azz speakers is a jedi mind trick. If your friends see some big
speakers in the room, without even turning on the stereo, they assume it
is great and it cranks.

If you have small speakers, there is no glory as people never notice them.

.. lol

LilBassGuy
12-01-2006, 05:26 PM
hah...good points! Although, since it is an apartment, smaller speakers would probably be better as they take up less space.

And I will try not to **** my neighbors off too much, the point of the MTM was to create a somewhat "bigger" soundstage so I could keep the volume low but still feel like there was alot of noise there. See that was a noob way of putting it, but it made sense to me!

I wont mind if other people wont appreciate my small MT's, except that I dont want SMALL MT's, maybe mid-size ones. I want relatively big sound.

johnson
12-03-2006, 10:36 AM
I would build a set of MT speakers first. You can always use them as surrounds if youre not satisfied with the output (doubt it though).

The cabinet dimensions of the Modula MT is 17H x 10W x 12.5D. I dont know about you but that is pretty big to me.

pwnt by pat
12-03-2006, 10:44 AM
zobel network