PDA

View Full Version : Music for SQ setups

reneeb7363
11-29-2006, 03:12 PM
This thread was inspired by this one: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198468
When judging, what tracks, cd's etc do you use for the items you are listening for? I searched the forum for this and I find TONS of bass tracks (not what I am looking for unfortunately :(...the three I did find...about "Guilty Pleasure" bands...etc. ....dont specifiy a/the track you use and why. And I will NOT bring up old threads from 7/2005 or 1/2006 (I have the links or them if you want--just search for "Guilty Pleasure")

What I am looking for is Specific tracks you like to use when you demo the sound Quality of your/a vehicle...(read: Ambience, Imaging/Staging, Full Tonal quality.... like one of my favorites for ambience... the artist is Mannheim Steamroller (Chip Davis) on the Fresh Aire 4 Album-- Title: Dancing Flames... it is new/age. Take a listen sometime.
What else ya got.... like to use for SQ setup and imaging?

Trey803
11-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Ok the best song I have ever heard on my SLC would be crush by DMB. A good song to test out your midbass response is Better when were together by Jack Johnson. The best of whats around by DMB is also a good song for overall SQ.

reneeb7363
11-29-2006, 03:18 PM
very kewl.... THANK YOU!
I am going to do some downoading this weekend and will try and take a listen.

Trey803
11-29-2006, 03:19 PM
download=bad idea for sq go buy the cd's you will be much more impressed

reneeb7363
11-29-2006, 03:21 PM
will definately buy the cd legally from a store after I hear a sample/the song... No, I dont use MP3 or burnt discs for demos... give me at least that much credit...lol.

alphakenny1
11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
i'll be the first to say it:

eagles - hotel california

Trey803
11-29-2006, 03:28 PM
will definately buy the cd legally from a store after I hear a sample/the song... No, I dont use MP3 or burnt discs for demos... give me at least that much credit...lol.

HAHa just makin sure. You should love Dave Matthews Band....I'm surprised you are not familiar with these songs already. Pretty much all of his cd's are good.

Trey803
11-29-2006, 03:37 PM
O yes and for sure OAR. Pretty much anything that has a good vocal singer and a good mixture of highs and lows......numerous jam bands are great for checking out your sound quality.

alphakenny1
11-29-2006, 03:42 PM
oh if want "SQ Disks" go to ECA and get AudioNutz's sq compliation. he made a bunch of cd's made up for "SQ songs." i have a few cd's and it definately has everything necessary to help setup an system. lot of the music isn't for younger folks though (including myself) but its great using those cd's to tune.

reneeb7363
11-29-2006, 03:45 PM
oh if want "SQ Disks" go to ECA and get AudioNutz's sq compliation. he made a bunch of cd's made up for "SQ songs." i have a few cd's and it definately has everything necessary to help setup an system. lot of the music isn't for younger folks though (including myself) but its great using those cd's to tune.

sorry...unfamiliar with whom/what that is

(uh oh! :crap: noobishness is showin again!)

alphakenny1
11-29-2006, 04:04 PM
eca = elite car audio. it's another forum. the disks are under the "sq competitors" forum. his name is audionutz.

SQChevy
11-29-2006, 04:06 PM
NO MORE HOTEL CALIFORNIA..i got too much of it in a few years from competition. he he. John Williams (I think) the guy who did Star Wars music. That is some good stuff to listen to and also Money for Nothing by Dire Straits is good. Anything with a lot of instruments. Acapella singing can be very good too.

reneeb7363
11-29-2006, 04:23 PM
eca = elite car audio. it's another forum. the disks are under the "sq competitors" forum. his name is audionutz.

thank you... I will definately check it out.

Slaugh
11-29-2006, 04:28 PM
someone could ISO the original cd-roms so we could burn em to a CD-R thus not losing any quality (or am i mistaken at this point?)

or, we could have that so called flawless-compression FLAC...

dot foldered

systembumping
11-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Choose Me- David Banner ft. Sky

Has everything needed to test SQ, even though it's a rap song.
It's like one of those songs you play over and over because it sounds so good.

Rich B
11-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Try Dirty Vegas's self titled album.

http://www.dirtyvegas.com/ms/imagerepository/discographyimagespublic/1392950-1

Dirty Vegas, Album

1. I Should Know
2. Ghosts
3. Lost Not Found
4. Days Go By
5. Throwing Shapes
6. Candles
7. All Or Nothing
8. Alive
9. 7AM
10. The Brazilian
11. Simple Things Part 2

Heres a link to their video for "Days Go By" on YouTube-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5oqmhVNk3Hg

Its an excellent SQ album, and it even has an instrumental track (#11) on it.

reneeb7363
11-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Choose Me- David Banner ft. Sky

Has everything needed to test SQ, even though it's a rap song.

even with that being said... I am looking for full tonal response...and this DOES include a killer bass line.

RichB-- never thought of them for SQ -- I will have to go take another listen with some good earphones, I guess I can see why you would say that...hmmmm

James Bang
11-29-2006, 04:44 PM
my own dub - Zagar

heyman421
11-29-2006, 04:47 PM
grateful dead - friend of the devil

there's an actual stand-up bass in that song that sounds awesome on nice mids

and a tribe called quest - can i kick it

the scratches sound soooo good if you have some airy tweets

WhoSayWho?
11-29-2006, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=alphakenny1;2490913]i'll be the first to say it:

eagles - hotel california FROM THE HELL FREEZES OVER CD/QUOTE]

agreed, but edited for clarification

systembumping
11-29-2006, 04:48 PM
even with that being said... I am looking for full tonal response...and this DOES include a killer bass line.

RichB-- never thought of them for SQ -- I will have to go take another listen with some good earphones, I guess I can see why you would say that...hmmmm

Oh you wanted something with not so much bass? I think it tests every single part of a system. I got more to learn so....

dawgdan
11-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged

One of the absolute best live recordings ever. You get a huge feel for what a real sound stage is all about. This CD, when listened to in a GREAT SQ setup, should convince everyone to ditch their rear speakers.

heyman421
11-29-2006, 04:59 PM
^^ totally agree with aic, great stuff

also, don't laugh, but on a good system, "all night long" by lionel richie is FANTASTIC.

haha, you can laugh, but once you try it, you'll stop :)

dawgdan
11-29-2006, 05:04 PM
^In the same vein of cheesy 80's pop, anything Michael Jackson has really done since "Thriller". The man had deep, deep pockets when recording his albums and always got the absolute best sound engineers to mix and master his stuff.

Also, the King's Singers (a capella). Excellent vocals and staging.

dawgdan
11-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Oh you wanted something with not so much bass? I think it tests every single part of a system. I got more to learn so....

You are not very far from some living legends of SQ-oriented car audio. There is tremendous opportunity to learn further. :)

-- UGA '03 alum

alphakenny1
11-29-2006, 05:12 PM
agreed with michael jackson's album, the thriller. awesome cd.

SQChevy
11-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Thank you. I couldn't remember the name of that A Capella group. Those tracks are awesome. I"ve been looking for them for a while.

heyman421
11-29-2006, 05:16 PM
you've pretty much just gotta try every cd you can get your hands on.

you'll be suprised at what cd's will sound awesome, and equally blown away by the albums you'd think would sound good, and don't... at all....

there's all sorts of cd's i've come to love based on the fact that they sound so good in my car alone, even music i'd never listen to any other time

a lot of weird trip-hop, for example. i don't 'get it' and could never just chill out and listen to it, but some massive attack in the car is just amazing

IMXELITE
11-29-2006, 05:21 PM
One of the best cd's I listen to when trying to show off my SQ is ATLiens by Outkast.

PepsiFiend69
11-29-2006, 05:28 PM
you've pretty much just gotta try every cd you can get your hands on.

you'll be suprised at what cd's will sound awesome, and equally blown away by the albums you'd think would sound good, and don't... at all....

there's all sorts of cd's i've come to love based on the fact that they sound so good in my car alone, even music i'd never listen to any other time

a lot of weird trip-hop, for example. i don't 'get it' and could never just chill out and listen to it, but some massive attack in the car is just amazing

I know EXACTLY what you mean

yes.. i was just thinking of making a thread like this.

Steve Miller band- Take the money and run (beginning has great kick/snare drum)
Blinke 182- Girl at the rock show (yes, i know, blink 182, but also has a great intro)
Styx- On my way
Notorious B.I.G- One More chance
Catch 22-The prologue
Ziggy marley- Electric avenue
Bone thugs n' harmony-Weed man
Daft punk-around the world

also, alot of live CD's tend to have VERY snappy snare drum

WhoSayWho?
11-29-2006, 06:14 PM
^In the same vein of cheesy 80's pop, anything Michael Jackson has really done since "Thriller". The man had deep, deep pockets when recording his albums and always got the absolute best sound engineers to mix and master his stuff.

hah, the funny thing is that I think I agree with you. The other night I really listened to one of his songs, probably for the first time. I did this simply because someone recommended it so strongly. The music itself was very good.

Still HATED his vocals though.

heyman421
11-29-2006, 06:16 PM
thriller and off the wall are both fantastic albums

too bad he got so creepy

reneeb7363
11-29-2006, 06:20 PM
some GREAT suggestions... (except for MJ...cant stand that 'thing'/child molester!)

and I DO like the selections with the crazy bass...its part of the experience...but I have been playing with the imaging and aiming of my component sets and getting everything balanced to sound "real." I have had the opportunity to go to a couple concerts to see my 'boys"...The 12th Of Never... and have been very impressed with their stage/live sound... hence the new desire to change the sound of my own system... and find SQ music to help me get that balance. That and I KNOW there are some members on here that personally have or do judge at comps.

azbass
11-29-2006, 06:24 PM
go here ;)

http://www.reallysmoothmusic.com/smooth/this-is-it/

smooth baby

heyman421
11-29-2006, 06:28 PM
(except for MJ...cant stand that 'thing'/child molester!)

hehe, hey now, michael just sings

99% of the music's written, arranged, and produced by quincy jones

quincy is THE MAN :D

his solo stuff is dyn-o-mite

reneeb7363
11-29-2006, 06:31 PM
dyn-o-mite!!!??

you should have your toes stepped on or ran over by a car!!! LOL!!! ......................j/k

ok...I will give you the Quincy Jones thing...I agreee, he is an ARTIST... not MJ.. If ya just had a button on your player that let you turn off anything that freak sings....then I may listen to the music... it has been recorded/mixed VERY well ..shame for it to go to waste on him tho'

cant wait to get home and start listening... thank you for all the suggestions!

63mopar
11-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Paul Simon and James Taylor have some pretty well recorded cd's. Like stated before Dire Straits is very clean also. It is great putting a good sound system together until you listen to some of your favorite cd's and realize they were recorded like crap.

heyman421
11-29-2006, 06:58 PM
exactly what i meant about just trying everything you own

a lot of times your favorite music gets left at home, cause you realize how embarassingly bad the recordings are

reneeb7363
11-29-2006, 07:04 PM
exactly what i meant about just trying everything you own
a lot of times your favorite music gets left at home, cause you realize how embarassingly bad the recordings are

bored with it... looking for something fresh... hearing is subjective and I have heard my own music many times over... cant tell you how many mp3 cd's I have burned trying to get that variety--- I also, when I drove... had 120 Gigs of music avail on my hard drive * 11 hours driving / day * 6 days = bored off my butt with my own music...

ksauers
11-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Brothers in Arms is great.
If you really want to give your speakers a work out Live 72-74 King Crimson
Delicate little symbols,guitar, cow bells to thunderous guitar ,bass, and drums
PLAY IT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
I'd be amazed if anyone on here has heard them

SEvald125
11-29-2006, 07:21 PM
U and Dat Booty

heyman421
11-29-2006, 07:22 PM
so get on torrentspy, type in 'discography' and have a field day

reneeb7363
11-29-2006, 07:37 PM
has anyone ever listened to Porgy and Bess-- song is called Thunderstorm...they recorded it in an open forum and there was actually a LIVE thunderstorm rolling in...the re-situated some of the mics to catch the thunderstorm with the orchestra... very old but still pretty amazing!

reneeb7363
11-29-2006, 07:43 PM
go here ;)

http://www.reallysmoothmusic.com/smooth/this-is-it/

smooth baby

niccccceee.....brings back memories... have to listen to that in the car!

alteraudiousa
11-29-2006, 07:43 PM
If you like good CD to demo your vehicle with try these:

Sarah Maclachan(sp?)- most of her CD's are quite good and have a wide array of musical taste

Craig Armstrong-done many songs from soundtracks that you've heard but never knew the name to, awesome CD is Plunkett and MacKlea, has orchestra pieces with good low bass rumble and fast moving string sections. All of his CD's are good

DMB-Stand Up- very good CD with alot of good songs to demo. Different sounds too

311-Transistor, this is probably my favorite CD as its in HDCD, which has a more true midbass and bass sound to it. Very good sound

Perfect Circle- awesome sounding songs, great bass lines to them that can really work your speakers out.

Honestly, for "most" people any CD will sound good as long as it sounds right. I've found after going to alot of shops who say they have "good" sounding setups that they sound good until you turn the volume up and it loses it and the music loses its focus. While I may not the loudest pounding bass or the most wrenched screaming highs, i will say I have the best SQ. For me SQ means that at any normal volume and high volumes the overall characteristics of the system don't change. I've sat in some of the DEI's reps cars and it sounded nice until you turned the volume up and the highs killed out everything and then you'd feel the bass from the subs, no mids. If you want a good sounding setup IMO make it so at even the highest volumes you'll go the system is balanced and focused and really the music as a whole got louder, just my .02$.

xtremekustomz
11-29-2006, 07:55 PM
I can't believe no one has said Metallica yet! The black album was AWESOME.

Others that sound good are:

Enya- Pretty much anything
Eagles- Hell Freezes Over
Bon Jovi- Dead or Alive
Guns & Roses- Greatest Hits
Clair Marlo- has some songs on IASCA cd
Michael Ruff- Also on IASCA
Auto Sound 2000
Any Telarc cd
Michael Jackson- Thriller and Bad
I liked the first Lord of the Rings sountrack
ZZ Top
Pink Floyd
Goo Goo Dolls- Gutterflower
Dave Matthews- All of them. Acoustical is really good
I like the new Evanesence cd. Definately has low frequency extension.
Audioslave
Tracy Chapman

There are alot more but I can't remember all of them.

systembumping
11-29-2006, 08:30 PM
You are not very far from some living legends of SQ-oriented car audio. There is tremendous opportunity to learn further. :)

-- UGA '03 alum

I'm trying not to say to much without talking out my arse lol. Go Dawgs!!

DOHCDX
11-29-2006, 09:51 PM
my favorites

slipknot - slipknot (self titled)
massive attack - mezzanine
mansun - attack of the grey lantern
portishead - any album

ENDER_XVICM
11-30-2006, 12:33 AM
You might want to look at this CD

Epica - The Score

All of that music is meant to be enjoyed, not blasted. There are a few vocal tracks but mostly instrumental. It has the softer more soothing, flowing, ambient music and also faster passed music as well.

Alot of Epic's music would be good to test your SQ.

BassAddictJ
12-01-2006, 11:48 AM
MATISYAHU - LIVE AT STUBBS ......not only is tha album the shizz....but great for feeling the sq at it's finest....

James Bang
12-01-2006, 12:10 PM
MATISYAHU - LIVE AT STUBBS ......not only is tha album the shizz....but great for feeling the sq at it's finest....

i like king w/o a crown on that album.

dalucifer
12-01-2006, 12:17 PM
i like king w/o a crown on that album.

:word:

reneeb7363
12-01-2006, 12:20 PM
You might want to look at this CD

Epica - The Score

All of that music is meant to be enjoyed, not blasted. There are a few vocal tracks but mostly instrumental. It has the softer more soothing, flowing, ambient music and also faster passed music as well.

Alot of Epic's music would be good to test your SQ.

I like the sound of that... riding around without a sub for a while really made me focus on the tuning of the rest of my system.
Keep em coming guys...there is some GREAT music here (that you have suggested) THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

lsm
12-01-2006, 12:40 PM
DaDa: Disneyland
Madonna: Like a Prayer
Alanis Morissette: Hidden Track (Your House)
Bela Fleck & the Flecktones: Monkey See

DBfan187
12-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Lacuna Coil

audiolife
12-01-2006, 01:11 PM
clapton clapton clapton lol
unplugged is great regular is great too
my fav staging cd is th kill bill vol.1 soundtrack

GrnEydDvl
12-01-2006, 02:36 PM
There are many threads like this already on this forum that were created since I've joined.

The IASCA SQ competition CD is great. Tuning tools / tests and some amazingly recorded songs.