PDA

View Full Version : car wont start first time..

cnttouchths6777
11-29-2006, 08:47 AM
90' maxima:
my car wont start the first time i try to turn the key.. it will start though then cut off after about 5 sec.. it might do this 2 or 3 times before i can get it running. it sounds like one of the pistons isnt fireing every single time... and at stop lights it sends to shake the whole car because of this. i have changed the spark plugs, distributor wires, distributor cap, and the distributor button.

any suggestions on what next

DeViOuSoNe
11-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Did YOU change the wires, and everything? Make sure all the wires are going to correct cylinders, That would cause huge misfires

adam007
11-29-2006, 08:54 AM
take that thing to a shop, try not to run it as much as possible being that if something i seriously wrong that u make, problems worse.

jmanpc
11-29-2006, 08:54 AM
my friend's truck was having the same problem because he wasn't getting compression in one of his cylinders in his 4-banger. you might want to take it to get it checked out.

heyman421
11-29-2006, 09:07 AM
well, make sure you seated the plugs right.

what did the old ones look like when you pulled 'em? Any oil, or a stinky vag smell?

Pull your dipstick, and check for a layer of white junk floating above the oil on the stick, also check your coolant evap tank for oil.

If you have any of that ^^ do a compression and leakdown test across the cylinders, and look for anything that looks suspicious. All 4/6 cylinders should be within a few psi of each other, and if it's a gasket, cylinders usually go in 2's. If it was leaking OUT, i would hope you'd notice.

And untill you do a compression test and rule out a bad gasket, i wouldn't drive it.

If the leak gets bad enough, and coolant dumps into the cylinder fast enough, it will flat out crack your piston.

Obviously there are other problems that could be causing this. Bad distributor, bad timing, bad cam/crank position sensor, bad coil/coils, bad wires, dirty fuel injector, bad fuel pump, leaky fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, bad pickup pump, bad pressure regulator, CRACKED fuel injector, bad MAF sensor, bad o2 sensor, maybe even a weathered or shorted wire somewhere.

Do comp/leakdown tests, and get some sort of diagnostic software on it. Vag-com or a standalone scan-tool.

cnttouchths6777
11-29-2006, 09:55 AM
thanks my nabor is a machanic and i think im going to let him have a look at it... see what he thinks..