PDA

View Full Version : HT - JBL vs. Polk Audio

slim j
11-28-2006, 01:56 PM
I am looking at doing a small HT. I was thinking of having a MTM for mains and a smaller two-way in the rear. I don't want to spend much more than $650.

I have seen polk audio monitor series and jbl venue series go for about this price.

Other brand suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to spend too much as I only watch about 1 movie every other month, but I might make it a point to watch more (maybe 2 or 3 per month) if I had a good sounding system.

desertheat
11-28-2006, 03:32 PM
I have a full northridge E setup which is the last version of the venue series.. I LOVE THEM. They took awhile to break in but once they did WOW, for the cash, cannot be beat period in my mind. From movies or just jamming, they do it all perfectly... Do not go for the older northridge, did not like them near as much. The Northridge E versions are great.

I have the e80 fronts...
ec35 center channel
e10 side surrounds
e20 rears
e250p sub

Bought it all online for dirt. Paid over 65% less than best buy was selling them for and that was shipped! Check ebay. You could get whatever you want in the northridge series for far less than the new venue linup.

slim j
11-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks,

I don't have ebay at work but will look. I also couldn't find the northridge set from one vendor.

Which is newer the ones with different names...voice, balcony, etc or the northridge?

negativezeroz
11-28-2006, 04:48 PM
JBL > Polk

slim j
11-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Polk is having a sale where they knock $199 off the price of the sub...would that change things? The Polk set is cheaper if you search and find the outlet prices at crutchfield.

negativezeroz
11-28-2006, 04:55 PM
You get what you pay for.

Polk makes some nice stuff but I just like Harman alot more.

slim j
11-28-2006, 04:57 PM
You get what you pay for.

Polk makes some nice stuff but I just like Harman alot more.

Like infinity products as well?

joetama
11-28-2006, 07:56 PM
I would say that JBL is greater than Polk is greater than Infinity...

desertheat
11-29-2006, 12:01 AM
agreed....

joetama
11-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Honestly... If someone wants a cheaper system I would say the JBL gear isn't bad. It's not up to my standards but then again they aren't 3grand a pair either....

slim j
11-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Honestly... If someone wants a cheaper system I would say the JBL gear isn't bad. It's not up to my standards but then again they aren't 3grand a pair either....

I understand but it's hard to justify expensive speakers if you aren't going to use them. It would take a year for me to break in most of that equipment (at 40 hours break-in time).

I kind of feel like those poor shmoes who skimp out on car audio gear. I spend more time driving than I do watching TV.

desertheat
11-29-2006, 09:48 PM
TO me HT equipment is set far and away from my home audio. To me, they do not mix well. I bought the JBL specifically for HT and to ocassionally crank it and jam. Cheap, does the job and does it better than anything I have found in it's price range and slightly above it's price range.

negativezeroz
11-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Like infinity products as well?
Harman Interional owns Infinity, JBL, Harman Kardon, Crown, Morel...to name a few :yumyum:

Ever listened to Infinity's old Prelude? **** is all I can say :up2somet: If I had money to get a nice HT, I'd probably rock JBL's Hercules. (Without going into rediculous mounts of money..like B&W Naut's)

joetama
11-29-2006, 11:45 PM
I understand but it's hard to justify expensive speakers if you aren't going to use them. It would take a year for me to break in most of that equipment (at 40 hours break-in time).

I kind of feel like those poor shmoes who skimp out on car audio gear. I spend more time driving than I do watching TV.

Yea that is totally understand able, I just use mine a lot more. Mostly I listen to music hence the 700 series fronts and the 600 rears...

TO me HT equipment is set far and away from my home audio. To me, they do not mix well. I bought the JBL specifically for HT and to ocassionally crank it and jam. Cheap, does the job and does it better than anything I have found in it's price range and slightly above it's price range.

HT and Home Stereo are very different. But you sould buy what you use. Like, I listen to music way more than I watch movies, but I still wanted good center/surround.

Harman Interional owns Infinity, JBL, Harman Kardon, Crown, Morel...to name a few :yumyum:

Ever listened to Infinity's old Prelude? **** is all I can say :up2somet: If I had money to get a nice HT, I'd probably rock JBL's Hercules. (Without going into rediculous mounts of money..like B&W Naut's)

Never heard the Preludes, but just have never liked much from the Infinity line up. I like the JBL Project Arrays and the K2's but for that price there is other speakers which are equal if not better....

I still want a pair of 800D's or 801D's.... But I doubt that will happen any time soon... haahha

Flipx99
11-30-2006, 12:07 AM
I just got that elemental deigns sub...going with Dayton amp.

Partsexpress version Pioneer Center, 3way mains, 5.25 surrounds. Get a whole HT system for about $300.

bumpin_blazer
11-30-2006, 12:32 AM
i love my jbl setup and can get anything ebay has to offer for less and if not the stuff i have has the same jbl factory warranty that ebay doesn't. if you're interested pm me what you're looking at. i think i paid 1200 for my ht setup and it's about 3800 msrp.

slim j
11-30-2006, 12:36 AM
ygpm

Flipx99
11-30-2006, 11:30 AM
i love my jbl setup and can get anything ebay has to offer for less and if not the stuff i have has the same jbl factory warranty that ebay doesn't. if you're interested pm me what you're looking at. i think i paid 1200 for my ht setup and it's about 3800 msrp.

Is that offer open to everyone?

ygpm

docutech
02-09-2007, 10:50 PM
So these are pretty good speakers then?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=ProductDetail&A=showItemLargeImage&Q=&sku=440446

1loudsuv
02-14-2007, 03:56 AM
jbl for partys and polk for ht

joetama
02-14-2007, 12:24 PM
jbl for partys and polk for ht

How about neither..... :laugh: