PDA

View Full Version : plexiglass worth the trouble?

wcarson8911
11-28-2006, 01:17 AM
is putting a 12x9 plexiglass window on the top of a sub box worth the trouble? and how hard is it to put neons on the plexi?

EDIT* I want the window to look like this..
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c158/chingatumadre_1985/DSCF4093.jpg
how hard would that be?

SEVEN_ELEVEN
11-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Check this out......

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198085&page=4

It might help you out some.

SEVEN_ELEVEN
11-28-2006, 01:37 AM
lawl thats to frost plexiglass not if its worth it. Good job moron

my bad i guess i didnt read his original post good enough. just saw that he was asking about lighting up the plexi with neon so i thought it might help.

PowerNaudio
11-28-2006, 07:20 AM
are you trying to use it as a window to see inside the enclosure or just as a top cover?
i dont have much experiance with plexy only used it on amprack covers and what not. but a router bit cuts right trugh it. just have to be carefull not to cut too much at onces because it will try to melt the plexy.

lighting up the plexy is realy not that hard all you have to do is buff the edge where the light is going to be placed and i think you sand the edge with a very fine grit paper up in the 400grirt or buff the rest of the edges as well. so it will reflect the light better instead of going trugh it.

wcarson8911
11-28-2006, 04:39 PM
are you trying to use it as a window to see inside the enclosure or just as a top cover?
i dont have much experiance with plexy only used it on amprack covers and what not. but a router bit cuts right trugh it. just have to be carefull not to cut too much at onces because it will try to melt the plexy.

lighting up the plexy is realy not that hard all you have to do is buff the edge where the light is going to be placed and i think you sand the edge with a very fine grit paper up in the 400grirt or buff the rest of the edges as well. so it will reflect the light better instead of going trugh it.

i want to use it as a window on the top to see into the box, what about neons and stuff how do you use those with the plexi?

wcarson8911
11-29-2006, 01:17 PM
anyone else have some experience with this stuff?

djman37
11-29-2006, 01:23 PM
use thick enough plexi.
have it cut at a glass shop(they sell it there too) for best results.
PRE-DRILL your holes, washers help spread out the stress from the screw/bolt.
pan head screws, if you use screws.
Use gasket foam, or equivilent, along the bottom of the plexi.(that's usually why it's painted in about an inch.
For god's sake, finish the inside of the box AND USE MATCHING WIRES!

I used a 200 tooth MDF blade on plexi and it worked out okay.

azimuth
11-29-2006, 01:23 PM
i did my first plexi window this summer and it wasn't that hard. there's a few things i would do different next time, but it turned out almost acceptable. nest time i'll probable do the whole panel instead of just a window. assuming i can find 1 inch lexan or plexi.
the pic is terrible, but i only have a cheap a$$ digital. i was actually taking pics of the amp, but you can see the plexi in the box at the top of the pic
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/kcdc30/Picture002.jpg

DFW40
11-29-2006, 01:55 PM
is putting a 12x9 plexiglass window on the top of a sub box worth the trouble? and how hard is it to put neons on the plexi?

EDIT* I want the window to look like this..
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c158/chingatumadre_1985/DSCF4093.jpg
how hard would that be?

It does look nice but to get it thick enough and cut right can be a problem. I would use real glass about 1/16 an inch, then get your face real close to it and turn it up.

~Magick_Man~
11-29-2006, 02:17 PM
It does look nice but to get it thick enough and cut right can be a problem. I would use real glass about 1/16 an inch, then get your face real close to it and turn it up.

:nutskick:

~Magick_Man~

coolahan
11-29-2006, 06:37 PM
ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

wcarson8911
11-30-2006, 06:20 PM

wow that's funny, why post if you have nothing to contribute at all? I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like to be able to see more of the sub they paid good money for than just the face.

Radioflyer97
01-16-2007, 02:57 PM
I'd stay away from neons. Xoxide.com and oznium.com have cold cathodes which are smaller and brighter than neons. I've been using them in my systems for years.

if you want to put the lights inside the box there's nothing to it. If you wanted to etch a design in the plexi and then try to use fiber optics to make it show up, that's when things get tricky. you have to find a way to put the light exactly on the edge of the plexi window

o6blink
01-16-2007, 03:37 PM
yeah, oznium.com is good :hihorse:

jace314
01-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey, I have a plexi window now, and was sort of curious about the same question above...
How exactly would you mount lets say a cathode or led along the side of the plexi so that the light travels around the window? Is it attahced light side to the plexi, or would that cause the plexi to melt over time?
The etching, or frosting thread explained well for the frosting, but I wasnt sure exactly how to attach the led?

Thanks!!

Radioflyer97
01-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Both LED's and cathodes produce very little heat (and in fact are cool to the touch even after having been running for hours) so melting the plexi isn't somthing to be concerned about.

Most LEDs have a very narrow projection angle because of the rounded tip. For this reason i suggest using a dremel cutoff wheel to cut the rounded tip off of the LED itself. This will spread out the projected light pattern giving your better lighting.

I haven't had any hands on experience with LEDs and etching but i assume the principle would be the same as a cathode.

this an example of a cathode and a plexiglas with etching:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/radioflyer1986/CIMG0816.jpg

the cathode is hidden behind the mounting surface but sits against the edge of the plexiglass (mounted from the back). In hindsight, using LEDs would have been easier, but i felt mounting cathodes was easier and less expensive.

jdawg
01-16-2007, 10:34 PM
how thicka plexi do you need? 3/4? I was thinking about this too.

Radioflyer97
01-16-2007, 10:50 PM
from an optics standpoint, thinner is better. The effect is caused by light being stopped buy the etching lines getting in the lights path. using thicker plexi would require deeper etching to get the best refreaction. I'm using 1/8" plexi because it's easy to cut and when i trace the design onto it, i don't get that much refraction difference between the image behind the plexi and the actual trace.

jace314
01-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Thats nice work on the plexi window!! I have seen some windows where the neon looks like its light is traveling around the window (the visual almost looks like the window is floating) Thats really all I want to do until I can figure out the etching! So do I have to mount the neon directly on any side of the window to get that effect?

Radioflyer97
01-17-2007, 11:08 AM
the neons/cathodes have to be EXACTLY on the edge of the plexi to get this effect. LEDs must be on the edge and facing the center of the plexi in order to get proper light transmission.

etching isn't that difficult, it's just tracing, but with a engraver instead of a pencil and with 1/8" plexi instead of tracing paper.