PDA

View Full Version : plexiglass and fiberglass amp box

500000watts
11-27-2006, 10:21 PM
i just started getting into fiberglassin, i think its pretty easy so i wana take it a step further and see what i can do. here is my plan

i wana mold fiberglass into my wheelwel and then sink my amp into the mold so it mounts flush with the outside of the mold and then i wana have a little lip or edge around ti so i can put a piece plexi glass just big enough to fit over the amp.

can someone give me some guidence on how i could do this, i have a few ideas but i wana hear someone that has done something like this before

Calikid
11-27-2006, 10:23 PM
if u dont get any help here go to fiberglassforums.com.

azbass
11-27-2006, 10:29 PM
lay your bottom fiberglass over teh wheelwell.

then make a shallow box for your amp to sit in, the sides of the box will be just at teh top edge of the amp.

prop this box up over the wheelwell, at the angle you want the amp to sit, then streach some fleese over it, staple it around the edge of the box. cut out the middle where the amp will set.

then glass the fleese.

now you have a sturdy place for teh amp to set in that box. that is flush with the fiberglass part,

edit. you can also make teh box deeper. to alow the plexi to set in further to make that flush also.

.::DuD3::.
11-27-2006, 10:31 PM
post a pic of the wheel well, i might can help.

xtremekustomz
11-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way but there is more to fiberglassing than what you did on those pods you built. Once you get into a larger piece you have to use mat for strength. You also have to have extra bracing in some spots so you don't have low spots. If I were you I would read up on some of these forums about it before you throw too much money into it. Anyway, good luck with it all! Let me see the pictures when you get some!

Calikid
11-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way but there is more to fiberglassing than what you did on those pods you built. Once you get into a larger piece you have to use mat for strength. You also have to have extra bracing in some spots so you don't have low spots. If I were you I would read up on some of these forums about it before you throw too much money into it. Anyway, good luck with it all! Let me see the pictures when you get some!

what pods?? link??

xtremekustomz
11-27-2006, 10:37 PM
one more thing. If you are going to have plexi where you can see the edges you will have to do ALOT of sanding and buffing on it to make it look right. No point in having a nice fiberglass panel with ugly plexi.

500000watts
11-27-2006, 10:49 PM
yeh im not expecting to fly through this like the pods i made, but i want to try something that takes a little more precision and skill. the only way to get good at something is to try new things and keep working up the latter.

do you think im takeing on to big of a project, is there something else i could do with my fiberglass meterials to continue getting the hang of this art?

500000watts
11-27-2006, 10:53 PM
what brand fiberglass resin would you suggest i use, i have a gallon of bondo resin i got for 30 bucks and when i got home i thought i should see what everyone uses before i start to use it

azbass
11-27-2006, 10:55 PM
ok never mind

.::DuD3::.
11-27-2006, 11:05 PM
hey whats that mat that meade uses? i think its like 28oz or something?

500000watts
11-28-2006, 09:17 AM
well can someone at least tell me all the work its gona be, i wana start this tomarrow or sooner.

xtremekustomz
11-28-2006, 09:38 AM
yeh im not expecting to fly through this like the pods i made, but i want to try something that takes a little more precision and skill. the only way to get good at something is to try new things and keep working up the latter.

do you think im takeing on to big of a project, is there something else i could do with my fiberglass meterials to continue getting the hang of this art?

Practice, practice, practice! I don't think the project is too big. You just have to remember that if you are doing something that is going to be flush mounted you have to have a way for your grille cloth or fleece to be pullet TIGHT. Pulling fleece tight is alot harder than grille cloth though. Where exactly in the car are you talking about anyway?

xtremekustomz
11-28-2006, 09:39 AM
what brand fiberglass resin would you suggest i use, i have a gallon of bondo resin i got for 30 bucks and when i got home i thought i should see what everyone uses before i start to use it

That resin will be fine to use. They do have other brands that are supposed to be stronger that cost $70 + a gallon but there is no need for that here. You aren't repairing a boat hull LOL

xtremekustomz
11-28-2006, 09:43 AM
well can someone at least tell me all the work its gona be, i wana start this tomarrow or sooner.

Like I have said before, make you a frame for it. Then use your cloth for the shape that you want. I know you said someting about flush mounting an amp but there are different ways to do that. Just make sure that when you are through with the fiberglassing portion of it, that you cannot push on a spot and have it flex much at all. You want it to be strong due to vibrations and things like that in the car. There will be some sanding but nothing like if it was a box or something like that. Send me a picture of the location that you want to do it in and the amp size.

500000watts
11-28-2006, 11:26 AM
its not really going to mold to anything, its going on a flat spot in the trunk. so its gona kinda be like a small square box nothin to fancy, the hard part that i think i might have trouble with is getting the fiberglass to smoothly roll over the edges and go down into the sunken amp and then have a small ledge left over for the plexi glass to sit on.

my plan was to make a bottom out of wood, then make all my elevations and other frame work ontop of that botom pice, then rap it all in fleece and start layering on the glass, then i was going to trim it all up and then glass the inside where the amp will be sitting, ( so would i have to measure a little bigger for the room the glass will take up ) then round the edges real nice and finish it the rest of the way.

i seen this one project where he made the base out of wood and glassed it but at the end he made another mold of the orginal so it had didint have any wood inside the mold. is there a reason for that?

when i get home today ill post pics of the spots in the car im trying to work with

xtremekustomz
11-28-2006, 07:42 PM
its not really going to mold to anything, its going on a flat spot in the trunk. so its gona kinda be like a small square box nothin to fancy, the hard part that i think i might have trouble with is getting the fiberglass to smoothly roll over the edges and go down into the sunken amp and then have a small ledge left over for the plexi glass to sit on.

my plan was to make a bottom out of wood, then make all my elevations and other frame work ontop of that botom pice, then rap it all in fleece and start layering on the glass, then i was going to trim it all up and then glass the inside where the amp will be sitting, ( so would i have to measure a little bigger for the room the glass will take up ) then round the edges real nice and finish it the rest of the way.

that will work

i seen this one project where he made the base out of wood and glassed it but at the end he made another mold of the orginal so it had didint have any wood inside the mold. is there a reason for that?
usually on something like that you are making a removeable cover. Say for instance that you have a fiberglass woofer box and you only want to see the rubber surround and cone. To do that the woofer has to be screwed into the box so really you can't mount the woofer to the box and glass over it because you wouldn't be able to get the woofer out.

when i get home today ill post pics of the spots in the car im trying to work with
That's cool.