PDA

View Full Version : MDF ring or panel?

shellshocked
11-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Getting ready to install new speakers in door. Already have a very well dampened door but will mount new speakers with an MDF ring. Is there any value to making the MDF mounting a larger area than just a ring? Would it improve the midbass to put the speaker on a panel of MDF (6.5" speaker in a 10"x10" square of MDF mounted to the door) as opposed to a ring? I was wondering if the greater mass of a panel would make any noticeable improvement over just a ring?

azbass
11-27-2006, 07:33 PM
how much room do you have to work with?

just remember the more solid of a baffle you have your speakers mounted to, the less sound energy you are going to loose through vibration.

shellshocked
11-27-2006, 07:53 PM
I have about 1 sq ft of area and enough depth to use 3/4" MDF. The panel would be roughly a square with the speaker mounted close to one edge. I was going to screw the panel to the door sheet metal and use silicone adhesive to insure a solid bond with the underlying door panel. Speaker will be Rainbow profi kick. Just wondering if this would be overkill versus a simple ring and modeling clay?

kublkmax
11-27-2006, 08:47 PM
I just used rings and mounded them on top of my deadner then put more deadner around the rings. Works just fine.