PDA

View Full Version : Comps for $500

ksauers
11-27-2006, 09:32 AM
I have reconsidered my speaker choices. Everythings back on the table,mostly because I've upped my budget. Looking for clean,clean,detailed ,lifelike,not too bright,and not harsh.

DejaWiz
11-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Keep your eye out for the Polk SR6500's.

Notwerk
11-27-2006, 04:08 PM
My suggestion is that you go to a shop and do some listening. The suggestions are many, especially at that price range. Call manufacturers and find dealers in your area. Try these:

Oz Audio
Boston Acoustics
Rainbow
Arc (ACS)
Alpine (type-x)
Polk (SR)
Focal
Hertz
Morel
DLS
Dynaudio
Exile (XTEC)
Zapco
a/d/s
MB Quart
AVI
Kicker (SS)

There are many other options I probably haven't thought of, but the point is this: Audio is a very subjective thing. We can't tell you over a bulletin board what you'll like best. If I know there's something you like, but can't find, I might be able to suggest alternatives based on your preferences, but even that's a gamble. Without even that much to go on, what can I recommend?

If you're going to put $500 down on speakers, you'd be wise to do the groundwork and go out and find something that works for your ears. $500 is a considerable investment. You shouldn't buy something with just our word to go on. At that price, you have a lot of very good options.

DejaWiz
11-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Audio is a very subjective thing. We can't tell you over a bulletin board what you'll like best. $500 is a considerable investment. You shouldn't buy something with just our word to go on.

Best advice ever. ;)

ksauers
11-27-2006, 05:30 PM
My suggestion is that you go to a shop and do some listening. The suggestions are many, especially at that price range. Call manufacturers and find dealers in your area. Try these:

Oz Audio
Boston Acoustics
Rainbow
Arc (ACS)
Alpine (type-x)
Polk (SR)
Focal
Hertz
Morel
DLS
Dynaudio
Exile (XTEC)
Zapco
a/d/s
MB Quart
AVI
Kicker (SS)

There are many other options I probably haven't thought of, but the point is this: Audio is a very subjective thing. We can't tell you over a bulletin board what you'll like best. If I know there's something you like, but can't find, I might be able to suggest alternatives based on your preferences, but even that's a gamble. Without even that much to go on, what can I recommend?

If you're going to put $500 down on speakers, you'd be wise to do the groundwork and go out and find something that works for your ears. $500 is a considerable investment. You shouldn't buy something with just our word to go on. At that price, you have a lot of very good options.

Oz, ME180 not bad ,little too warm I think,something missing
Bostons , Pro 60 maybe
Rainbow , Cmx too bright but very clear and clean would like to hear Profi 265

Arc ,nowhere to hear them but some of them use same tweeter as CMX, silk tweet maybe
Alpine, out
Polk, nowhere to hear MOMO's just ok
Hertz, will listen to Energy
Focal , K2P pretty good little harsh could be warmer, pick so far
ADS ,listened to ads365 pretty clear brighter than Focal
Morel ,like to hear Hybrid or Dotech Ovation
DLS, no where to hear them
Dyn, would like to hear 220MK2 or 240MK2

The rest don't know. Alumapro was suggested,but I think I might stay away from the aluminum woofer based on the CMX
I never thought picking a speaker would be so blasted hard.Probably would like a silk tweet better. Something warmer than the K2P or less than the OZ. Glad I'm not in a big hurry,gotta save up some cash .

headless
11-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Rainbow Germaniums FTW

DejaWiz
11-27-2006, 05:39 PM
* Bostons , Pro 60 maybe
* Rainbow , would like to hear Profi 265
* Alpine, SPX-177R
* Polk, SR6500, not the MOMO's
* Hertz, will listen to Energy

The rest don't know. Alumapro was suggested,but I think I might stay away from the aluminum woofer based on the CMX
I never thought picking a speaker would be so blasted hard.Probably would like a silk tweet better. Something warmer than the K2P or less than the OZ. Glad I'm not in a big hurry,gotta save up some cash .

Have you ever listened to the Alpine Type X or the Polk SR6500's? The ring radiator tweeters make either set sound incredible, smooth, and natural (when installed and powered correctly).

ksauers
11-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Have you ever listened to the Alpine Type X or the Polk SR6500's? The ring radiator tweeters make either set sound incredible, smooth, and natural (when installed and powered correctly).

Briefly listened to the Type X and they didn't do anythng for me.

jacka
11-27-2006, 08:37 PM
get the germaniums

kublkmax
11-27-2006, 08:43 PM
I would steer you towrds the Germs. You will be very happy with those. Not likely that you will get the profis for 500 bucks. same with the dyn's unless you find them used or off fleabay but if you are gonna go high end please buy authorized. The alumapro's are very similar the Arc's. and aluminum woofers are not harsh every driver in my car is metal with the exception of my tweets which I don't like metal dome tweets.