PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 surround sound, worth it?

tukn18s
11-26-2006, 08:51 PM
I have and alpine 9855, buying the h701, considering doing the whole 5.1 surround sound bit, is it worth it or not? and can you even ahcieve it with that setup.?

kublkmax
11-26-2006, 09:41 PM
why would you want 5.1 in your car? What is the point?

tukn18s
11-26-2006, 09:52 PM
im asking if anybody had done it and if they thought it was worth it at all? i didnt say i did it, said i was considering...

adam71
11-26-2006, 10:15 PM
why would you want 5.1 in your car? What is the point?

Actually 5.1 vehicles are becoming more and more popular these days. The point is you can watch movies in your car in 5.1 surround.:eyebrow:

6spdcoupe
11-27-2006, 12:26 AM
I personally dont see the point, but then again I dont spend endless hours in my car watching movies. Overall sound quality/imaging would be my first priority, if youve got the extra coin to throw at doing 5.1 and its useful to you...go for it.

pimpedout97x
11-27-2006, 12:28 AM
would be cool.

i know a guy with an explorer like mine with 5.1...has speakers glassed in the headliner behind him, etc.

duece212
11-27-2006, 12:33 AM
I have and alpine 9855, buying the h701, considering doing the whole 5.1 surround sound bit, is it worth it or not? and can you even ahcieve it with that setup.?

I'd see how often you actually end up watching movies in your ride before going that far. I wasted money on a dvd player thinking I would watch more movies in my car, but its really not that practical, atleast for me.

If your going for the "wow cool" factor then definately go for it, if not I'd try it without the 5.1 and if you end up watching movies often enough to enjoy the addition of a 5.1 then go for it.

bdawson72
11-27-2006, 12:37 AM
IMO it isn't

jmanpc
11-27-2006, 12:40 AM
it'd be cool if you had on/off switched for all the amps so you could turn off the center and rear channels

bikejunkie223
11-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Home theater = worth it
in your car = pointless

Music is seldom recorded in 5.1 anyway so all you get is a matrixed 5.1 like Pro-logic that sounds like it's emenating froma sewer pipe with stupid echos added- 2.1 for music, 5.1 for movies (or 7.1 if you are really into it) But all that crap is retarded in a car IMO. I mean honestly, if you are gonna rock a SACD player in your car you likely aren't going to hear any of the nuances the medium preserves. 5.1 in car is utterly pointless to me- the same as surround music is pointless. When did you listen to a band live and sat in the middle of them so the bass player was behind you, and the other instruments were all around?

azimuth
11-27-2006, 01:13 AM
i'm going to put 5.1 in the cap of my truck this spring. i wouldn't do it in the cabin, but for camping and drive in movies it would be the ****.

DARKHART
11-27-2006, 01:27 AM
In the process of building a sq vehicle now with 5.1 in it....do I watch a lot of movies.....no..but I do have children and they do....I do listen to a wide variety of music and watch some movies and cartoons from time to time and when I do I want the same effect that I have in the house, so yes it is worth it to me....:D :D :D

Hintzyboy
11-27-2006, 01:29 AM
It wouldn't matter for drive in movies because the signal is not broadcasted in 5.1. It is sent using a standard FM frequency.

DARKHART
11-27-2006, 01:32 AM
It wouldn't matter for drive in movies because the signal is not broadcasted in 5.1. It is sent using a standard FM frequency.

You guys still have drive in's operating in your states????? **** that would be cool if we still had one here.....:D :D :D

adam71
11-27-2006, 01:55 AM
5.1 in car is utterly pointless to me- the same as surround music is pointless. When did you listen to a band live and sat in the middle of them so the bass player was behind you, and the other instruments were all around?

:rolleyes:

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone in this thread brought up the surruound vs. stereo debate. People listen to what they like. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. This thread was about 5.1 in a car. Not about surround vs. stereo. Stay on topic.

Just an FYI, a properly mixed 5.1 surround music mix does NOT put you in the middle of the band.

Hintzyboy
11-27-2006, 02:04 AM
You guys still have drive in's operating in your states????? **** that would be cool if we still had one here.....:D :D :D

Yup, got one about 5min away. Double features too. 2 movies for like $6. Hard to beat that deal.

AND NOW, BACK TO THE THREAD

James Bang
11-27-2006, 02:06 AM
there is really no need for a center speaker, you can use the bi-phantom feature. works great. i have an 9835 and the h701, great combo.

Hintzyboy
11-27-2006, 02:10 AM

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone in this thread brought up the surruound vs. stereo debate. People listen to what they like. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. This thread was about 5.1 in a car. Not about surround vs. stereo. Stay on topic.

Just an FYI, a properly mixed 5.1 surround music mix does NOT put you in the middle of the band.

His post was on topic. This thread is about whether or not going 5.1 was worth the trouble and cost. Since the majority of music out there is not mixed for 5.1 systems, and since music is generally better suited for stereo, his post was completely relevant. Movies are a completely different case, as almost all DVDs are mixed with 5.1

And, just a question, how does 5.1 not put you in the middle of the band?

adam71
11-27-2006, 02:21 AM

I said a properly done 5.1 mix will not put you in the middle of the band. A properly done mix will have most of the music coming from the front 3 and only ambient effects coming from the surrounds. That is why I said PROPERLY done.

the same as surround music is pointless. When did you listen to a band live and sat in the middle of them so the bass player was behind you, and the other instruments were all around?

This right here is what I was referring to. This has nothing to do with 5.1 in a car. It is his opinion of surround music. Its not a big deal but you brought it up as on topic when it clearly wasn't.

I believe the original poster (thread starter) was referring to 5.1 for movies, not music.

jluv
11-28-2006, 12:42 PM

I have several concert DVDs and 5.1 doesn't put you in the middle of the band. It puts you in the front row. The rear speakers play the audience noise. It works very well and is quite realistic in my vehicle. I don't run a center channel and with the H701 you can get by without it. If you have a DVD player, an H701, and rear fill already you might as well do 5.1. I see no reason not to go for it.

bumpin_blazer
11-28-2006, 12:42 PM
5.1 ftl, 7.1 mmmmmm :D

bumpin_blazer
11-28-2006, 12:43 PM
well i guess in theory 7.1 is great but i don't know of many DVD's that do even 6.1

Hintzyboy
11-28-2006, 03:22 PM
I have several concert DVDs and 5.1 doesn't put you in the middle of the band. It puts you in the front row. The rear speakers play the audience noise. It works very well and is quite realistic in my vehicle. I don't run a center channel and with the H701 you can get by without it. If you have a DVD player, an H701, and rear fill already you might as well do 5.1. I see no reason not to go for it.

But for normal music, it's kind of useless. When speaking of DVDs, 5.1 is always nice, but how many DVDs does the average guy play in his car compared to CDs?

kublkmax
11-28-2006, 04:16 PM
im asking if anybody had done it and if they thought it was worth it at all? i didnt say i did it, said i was considering...

I was bashing I just don't think it is worth the money to do. I can watch movies in my car now and it simulates surround I see no need to spend the extra money on rear speaker and another amp to push it plus making sure you have the enough processing.

SQChevy
11-28-2006, 04:21 PM
I would say if you are mainly listening to movies then no it's probably not worth it. If you watch a ton of movies, well maybe, but even then the H701 could be put to better use. I've got one and use it for active crossover. I have Front 1 for tweets, Front 2 for kicks, Rear for front sub, and Center and Sub worked as stereo sub. Yes, I know sub frequencies aren't really in stereo, but used for a left and right input into the amp. It allows a lot of options in a SQ type vehicle.

jluv
11-28-2006, 05:51 PM
But for normal music, it's kind of useless. When speaking of DVDs, 5.1 is always nice, but how many DVDs does the average guy play in his car compared to CDs?

Think about what you just posted, though. The "average" guy doesn't even know about this board. The "average" guy doesn't upgrade their stereo equipment. Most people don't care about that kind of stuff. If you're going to spend money on amps and speakers and fancy head units, etc etc, what's wrong with doing 5.1? Is it for everyone? No? Is it worth it? Depends on what you like. It's like asking if two 15s is worth it. Or if going active is worth it. Or if sound deadening is worth it.

If you have the processing, doing a 5.1 setup is not difficult or expensive beyond that.

jluv
11-28-2006, 05:54 PM
I would say if you are mainly listening to movies then no it's probably not worth it. If you watch a ton of movies, well maybe, but even then the H701 could be put to better use. I've got one and use it for active crossover. I have Front 1 for tweets, Front 2 for kicks, Rear for front sub, and Center and Sub worked as stereo sub. Yes, I know sub frequencies aren't really in stereo, but used for a left and right input into the amp. It allows a lot of options in a SQ type vehicle.

If you want both RCA inputs into the sub amp, you're better off using a Y adapter and just doubling the mono signal.

Even with what you're talking about on the 701, using the center for an additional sub output, you are not getting "stereo", just two mono outs. And doing it the way you described does not have anything to do with 5.1. You can still do it. All you need is a rear amp and speakers.

I bet most with the 701 don't use a center channel. There are actually good reasons not to.

Hintzyboy
11-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Think about what you just posted, though. The "average" guy doesn't even know about this board. The "average" guy doesn't upgrade their stereo equipment. Most people don't care about that kind of stuff. If you're going to spend money on amps and speakers and fancy head units, etc etc, what's wrong with doing 5.1? Is it for everyone? No? Is it worth it? Depends on what you like. It's like asking if two 15s is worth it. Or if going active is worth it. Or if sound deadening is worth it.

If you have the processing, doing a 5.1 setup is not difficult or expensive beyond that.

I was speaking about the average owner of in-car dvd players. Average can mean a lot of things. When used in this context, it doesn't include everyone under the sun.

jluv
11-28-2006, 06:30 PM
I was speaking about the average owner of in-car dvd players. Average can mean a lot of things. When used in this context, it doesn't include everyone under the sun.

Alright. But just because someone may spend 90% of their time in the car listening to music, and 10% watching DVDs, why not maximize that 10% of DVD time? For me, having a DVD player in the ride and 5.1 processing has lead me to begin purchasing concert DVDs. It's the best of both worlds, imo. Bad *** live recorded music and real-time accompanying video. It creates a much more engulfing experience than just music alone.

When the question is "Is it worth it?", I say sure. It isn't like you have to sacrifice anything. You can still listen to your music in stereo. There is no downside, imo. By the time you have a DVD head unit and processing, what more is an amp and speakers for the rear? Lots of people have rear fill already anyway. I say, if you can do it, do it. Why not?

Now, if the question was "Should I buy a DVD head unit and H701 just so I can have 5.1?" my answer would be no. But as mentioned, the 701 is such a great piece for music, and once you have it, why not take advantage of the ability to do 5.1 while you're at it?

In the end, I suppose it's just a matter of opinion.

bikejunkie223
11-29-2006, 02:14 AM

You know it's funny you take a small snippet of what I said as a reason to bust my balls for not being on topic- if you read the entirety of my post the jist of it was no it isn't worth it and this is why I think so. Last I checked, the point of a forum was to ask for other peoples goddam opinions! So of course that was my opinion, that's what the thread asked for!I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me, but don't act like he asked about 5.1 and my post was "cheese sandwiches are good" That would be totally unrelated. I would argue your post saying I was off topic was actually the one off-topic. To sum up- No, I do not think it would be worth it , and cheese sandwiches are good. Thank you, goodnight now.

jacka
11-29-2006, 03:41 AM
it will be worth it for you if you are satisfied in the end. if you watch lots of movies in your car, i could see how it could be worth it, maybe.

3onDubs
12-01-2006, 07:12 PM
I have the H701 with the W200 dvd head unit and I'm running a 2.1 setup....5.1 would be overkill imo. You should spend the extra cash on getting the best possible components and getting your front stage setup properly. You'll listen to music more than you watch movies.

pcchris
12-01-2006, 07:20 PM
i dont get it either i feel car speakers are too close to be 5.1

James Bang
12-01-2006, 07:24 PM
I have the H701 with the W200 dvd head unit and I'm running a 2.1 setup....5.1 would be overkill imo. You should spend the extra cash on getting the best possible components and getting your front stage setup properly. You'll listen to music more than you watch movies.

oh it's Firas. nice setup buddy. i'll have a similar one soon, but i'm running 5.1 cause all of my speakers are in the front except my subs. full front stage + 5.1 = great stuff, movies + music.

adam71
12-04-2006, 08:03 PM
You know it's funny you take a small snippet of what I said as a reason to bust my balls for not being on topic- if you read the entirety of my post the jist of it was no it isn't worth it and this is why I think so. Last I checked, the point of a forum was to ask for other peoples goddam opinions! So of course that was my opinion, that's what the thread asked for!I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me, but don't act like he asked about 5.1 and my post was "cheese sandwiches are good" That would be totally unrelated. I would argue your post saying I was off topic was actually the one off-topic. To sum up- No, I do not think it would be worth it , and cheese sandwiches are good. Thank you, goodnight now.

I wasn't trying to bust your balls. Sorry if you took it that way but I try NOT to get that way on here. The original post was if 5.1 in a car was worth it. Not whether or not someone liked 5.1 channel music mixes. You voiced your opinion on that but it wasn't really relevant to his question. Bottom line is what he decides is woth it to him. It's not like he can't turn off the surrounds when he is listening to 2 channel stereo music.

bikejunkie223
12-04-2006, 08:21 PM
I wasn't trying to bust your balls. Sorry if you took it that way but I try NOT to get that way on here. The original post was if 5.1 in a car was worth it. Not whether or not someone liked 5.1 channel music mixes. You voiced your opinion on that but it wasn't really relevant to his question. Bottom line is what he decides is woth it to him. It's not like he can't turn off the surrounds when he is listening to 2 channel stereo music.

That's fine man, beef ended. Sorry your team got jacked in the BCS.

adam71
12-04-2006, 09:54 PM
That's fine man, beef ended. Sorry your team got jacked in the BCS.

Thats ok, I pretty much expected that to happen when that little ***** Urban Myer started his whining and campaigning. Not to mention 2 former U-F coaches, Stever Spurrier and Ron Zook flip flopped in Florida's favor too.

bikejunkie223
12-05-2006, 03:37 AM
don't forget Tressel not voting- what a tool.

adam71
12-05-2006, 05:23 AM
don't forget Tressel not voting- what a tool.

When Michigan beats Illinois and Ohio State next year Lloyd better run up the scores.

bikejunkie223
12-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Michigan better beat Ohio State next year or Lloyd won't have a job anymore.

adam71
12-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Michigan better beat Ohio State next year or Lloyd won't have a job anymore.

Actually, there is NO reason Michigan shouldn't run the table next year.

NoviceGuru
12-06-2006, 10:04 PM
yep, you guys are really on topic now....

anyway... i'd say if you have a suv or something large 5.1 would sound insane and do it because people well WANT to be in your car everywhere they go........ what does that mean? taxi fair. u'll pay off any expenses for it within a year.

i think if you have a small car like a coupe or something 5.1 really won't make a movie sound better. maybe anoying even