PDA

View Full Version : upgrading comps and would like your input.

lubetek
11-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Hey guys, I've decided to spend some money and upgrade my comps.
I'm running some infinity kappas now (They were meant to just get me by for awhile.)

Anyway, I've been looking at Diamond Audio because I have tested them and love the sound. I'm actually looking at these: Diamond Audio HEX 6.5" S600S (Silk Dome Tweeters) I can get these for $279 a set.

Now my question is this: Can you guys recommend a better or just as good as speaker for that money or less?

I need a speaker that can handle a min. 100 watts RMS. (The Diamond Audio's handle 170wrms.)

I'll be hooking them up to an Orion 8004 (100wrms X4 @ 4ohms)
I'm looking to buy two sets of comps for the front and rear.

I know all about having a good front stage and not worrying about the rear stage but I like rear fill.

If you would recommend a set of comps then please only rec comps that I can buy online right now with out waiting forever. Please do not rec. some obscure brand that will be hard for me to get my hands on.

I have around $560 I'm able to spend towards speakers You can see the rest of my gear is in my sig.

Like I said I really like the Diamond Audio's and have tested them along with some others. I'm just wondering if there is something else out there just as good but costs less. If I can spend less money and get great speakers I'll be much happier.

Thanks guys!

p.s. I should add that i'm aiming for sq over spl.

lubetek
11-26-2006, 02:20 PM
hey guys after reading the forum a bit I found some of you pointing towards these:

SSCS 6 6.5"
6.5" High performance 2-way Component System
Kevlar Woofer 6.5" Injected Cone Tweeter 1" (25mm) Titanium
2nd Order Linkwitz
12db Outboard Crossover
200Watts PEAK Power handling

Does anyone know where I can buy these? I think they might be a better choice over the DA HEX's

lubetek
11-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Hmmm it seems everyone is sleeping this morning. Ok after further reading I stumbled onto the Boston Acoustics Pro60 would these be even better than the SSCS 6?

As it is I would be willing to do away with the rear stage all together for the right front stage.

can buy two sets of the DA HEX comps, or two sets of the SSCS 6 or maybe one set of the Pro60's. Hell I'm open to any sugestions really!

kublkmax
11-26-2006, 04:10 PM
I would say pass on the diamonds in less it is there old stuff. The Raindow Slc's would not be a bad choice. or a set of Cdt's would fit the budget

lubetek
11-26-2006, 04:25 PM
I've been down the CDT road and I'm looking for something else this time around.
Rainbows seem to be hard to come by. Hardly any sites actually sell them. That I can find that is.

Notwerk
11-27-2006, 01:39 AM
6spdcoupe on here sells Rainbow and some other brands. PM him.

As for recommendations, what kind of sound are you looking for?

adam71
11-27-2006, 02:01 AM
I realize you like rear fill which is fine. But instead of buying 2 sets of components why not get some coaxes for the rear and the money you save back there you can put with your front component money and buy an even better set of comps up front.

Apoc
11-27-2006, 02:05 AM
I'm with adam

ray@ss
11-27-2006, 02:09 AM
could look at some focals.

lubetek
11-27-2006, 02:45 AM
Yes I've decided that I want to just buy a great set of comps for my front stage. I'll leave the stock speakers in the rear for now and maybe upgrade them later. I'll unhook them though.

So yeah I'll spend the money on fronts. I only want to go with 6.5" comps and 2-ways.

as for sound well I'm all about SQ. I'd like something with solid mid-bass and clean highs. I like silk tweets but will take what ever comes with the comps. I really dislike harsh highs.

I listen to everything from classical to rap to metal. pretty much everything I can get my hands on. An example of what I've been listening to lately would be MUSE and the killers.

I'll tell you, it's been an all day task reading up on comps and I'm still undecided.

Even though I didn't want to look into CDT I saw that deal at woofers for $299 and I have to admit I'm thinking about picking them up.
CDT Audio ES-610 $299.99 @ woofersetc.

Course I can spend more and get even better...oh the possiblities!! lol

ray@ss
11-27-2006, 02:54 AM
dont just read, there are alot of punk kids that just talk **** on the net..
go listen..
I love focal, very clean undisturbed mid-range, accurate tweet great price.
warm just a great speaker set.

lubetek
11-27-2006, 02:59 AM
I've tested what I can but many I can not. No one carries brands like Focal, CDT, Dynaudio, Rainbow, ID etc. All these top end speakers I can't test and must rely on the input of people online. I've been hanging around this site for long enough to know that I can trust many people here. I look at whos posting before taking to heart what they are saying.

crazy4ozs
11-27-2006, 03:05 AM
the CDT ESs.../thread

lubetek
11-27-2006, 04:13 AM
the CDT ESs.../thread

consider them bought.;) Thanks!

crazy4ozs
11-27-2006, 04:17 AM
nice choice...thats what i bought as well...and i deliberated for over a month...

lubetek
11-27-2006, 04:34 AM
well after spending the day reading everything I could find It felt good to just say fug it and pick something. At that price I couldn't say no.

I still think my system will be lacking though. I'll only be running a front stage and only 100wrms x2 so unless I buy some rear speakers (which I think I'm going to skip) I might have to go Active. Well thats another matter. For now I'm just happy the search is over.

OneKrazyKeebler
11-27-2006, 06:48 AM
so did you buy the es?

Apoc
11-27-2006, 10:49 AM
I don't understand the whole active thing, its never come up...what exactly is it and what does it do. I'm sure there's a link to a thread somewhere, I just don't have time to search right now

adam71
11-27-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't understand the whole active thing, its never come up...what exactly is it and what does it do. I'm sure there's a link to a thread somewhere, I just don't have time to search right now

Do a search. Here is a condensed version. The terms "active" and "passive" are referring to the crossovers for the drivers. Active means the processing is done PRE-amp and requires power. Passive means the processing is done AFTER the amp and doesn't require power.

Notwerk
11-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Typically, you'd use an electronic crossover device or the on-board amplifier crossovers to split the signal to different drivers (i.e., tweeter, mid, midbass, etc.)

A passive uses a passive circuit, after the amp, to accomplish the same thing.

The advantage of going active is that electronic crossovers can be adjusted to a higher degree (crossover point, output level, and often slope). Some very elaborate passives allow for some adjustability (very, very rare), but it's very limited compared to the practically unlimited adjustability of an active crossover. Most passives only allow you to adjust the tweeter level (in very limited increments) and perhaps phase.

Disadvantage is that because you are splitting the signal pre-amp, every driver needs its own channel for amplification. So, for example, to power a set of two-way components (2 tweets, 2 mids), you would need four channels of amplification. Were you using a passive, you could use a two-channel amp with the passive crossover between the amp and the speakers.

adam71
11-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Disadvantage is that because you are splitting the signal pre-amp, every driver needs its own channel for amplification. So, for example, to power a set of two-way components (2 tweets, 2 mids), you would need four channels of amplification. Were you using a passive, you could use a two-channel amp with the passive crossover between the amp and the speakers.

If you want to even call that a disadvantage. I personally don't think it is. Having to use a different channel of amplification for each driver gives you ultimate control of the volume levels of each driver.

Anyone that is thinking of going active is NOT a noob or concerned about trunk space or the extra money for another amp or 2.

lubetek
11-27-2006, 10:30 PM
so did you buy the es?

Well check out my good fortune; So I called up Woofers etc this morning to buy those CDT ES-610's for the sale price of $299. and though the web site said they were in stock, they were not. Then the guy goes,"Hey I'll tell you what. I'll give you the ES-220's for the same price, thats $200 off the already low sale price."

So I have a set of the CDT ES-220's on the way and I also picked up a set of the CDT Audio Upstage Blending module's UP-324 1" silk dome w/ crossovers. I plan to mount these up on the dash or pillars.

I should have everything in the next couple of days. :)

adam71
11-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Well check out my good fortune; So I called up Woofers etc this morning to buy those CDT ES-610's for the sale price of $299. and though the web site said they were in stock, they were not. Then the guy goes,"Hey I'll tell you what. I'll give you the ES-220's for the same price, thats $200 off the already low sale price."

So I have a set of the CDT ES-220's on the way and I also picked up a set of the CDT Audio Upstage Blending module's UP-324 1" silk dome w/ crossovers. I plan to mount these up on the dash or pillars.

I should have everything in the next couple of days. :)

Well good for you man. I'm glad you got a nice set of comps. Now the hard part, the install.

lubetek
11-27-2006, 11:45 PM
ya really. I'm debating if I want to do the install or not. I just bought this vehicle and I'm not sure I want to mess with anything.

I have a ton of Dynamat extreme left over from my last install so I'll do the doors up with that for sure. I don't think I want to build pods (though maybe down the road I will) for now I'm thinking a stock look is what I want to go for. My front doors have room below for 6.5 and tweets. I'm worried about cutting into my pillars to mount the extra tweets I bought...Think I'll get a quote from a shop this time around.

adam71
11-27-2006, 11:50 PM
ya really. I'm debating if I want to do the install or not. I just bought this vehicle and I'm not sure I want to mess with anything.

I have a ton of Dynamat extreme left over from my last install so I'll do the doors up with that for sure. I don't think I want to build pods (though maybe down the road I will) for now I'm thinking a stock look is what I want to go for. My front doors have room below for 6.5 and tweets. I'm worried about cutting into my pillars to mount the extra tweets I bought...Think I'll get a quote from a shop this time around.

First of all, what do you drive?

2nd of all, pillars can be replaced, they don't cost that much.

lubetek
11-28-2006, 12:04 AM
2004 Buick Rainier CXL AWD
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/lubetek/DSCF0010.jpg

adam71
11-28-2006, 12:10 AM
2004 Buick Rainier CXL AWD
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/lubetek/DSCF0010.jpg

Nice vehicle.

Like I said you can get replacement pillars. Also you could give these a try if want better imaging than your doors. Not to mention later on you could add a dedicated midbass to your doors.

http://www.qlogic.ws/products/q_forms_detail.jsp?classID=57&categoryID=242&groupID=8044

I know it says it only holds up to 6 1/8 " speakers but I get stuff from a q logic distributor out of South Bend and q logic now makes bigger qforms for up to 7" drivers.

lubetek
11-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Nice vehicle.

Thanks man.

Hmmm you know I didn't consider those because I thought the speakers would sound better in the doors. To be fair I was only guessing they would. Having comps installed in the corners like that take away from the output of the comps at all?? if they will do just as good of a job or better i will buy them.

adam71
11-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks man.

Hmmm you know I didn't consider those because I thought the speakers would sound better in the doors. To be fair I was only guessing they would. Having comps installed in the corners like that take away from the output of the comps at all?? if they will do just as good of a job or better i will buy them.

They shouldn't take away from performance. However, I would beef them up a little with some dynamat or some spray deadening.

lubetek
11-28-2006, 12:55 AM
well it seems my comps wont fit. according to Q-Logic and Car Domain they can only hold a 6 1/8" comp and the CDT's I'm buying actually have an outside diameter of 6.75" and an inside diameter of 5.87" Where is this model that holds up to 7"?? I can't seem to find it.

I'm not sure if the 6 1/8 is the very outside diameter of the q-logic kick panel or not. I'd hate for my comps to hang over the edges.

adam71
11-28-2006, 01:12 AM
well it seems my comps wont fit. according to Q-Logic and Car Domain they can only hold a 6 1/8" comp and the CDT's I'm buying at actually have an outside diameter of 6.75" and an inside diameter of 5.87" Where is this model that holds up to 7"?? I can't seem to find it.

I'm not sure where if the 6 1/8 is the very outside diameter of the q-logic kick panel or not. I'd hate for my comps to hang over the edges.

It's not on their website yet. Its a new product for '07. I.E. Not released yet but I know a distributor so thats how I found out these were coming out. Maybe not til spring.

lubetek
11-28-2006, 01:36 AM
I'll just install them in the door. Thanks!

adam71
11-28-2006, 01:39 AM
I'll just install them in the door. Thanks!

They should be fine there. Whose to say you can't change your mind at a later time.??

lubetek
11-28-2006, 11:34 PM
received my CDT's tonight. Not only did they upgrade me to the ES-620's but they gave me the newer black coned versions instead of the yellow coned version. Nice!

crazy4ozs
11-28-2006, 11:39 PM
very nice! pics and review please :)

Torgus
12-01-2006, 09:35 PM
pics? review? we want to know!

lubetek
12-07-2006, 02:30 AM
sorry for the delay, installed everything last thursday but then spent 4 days up at my local ski resort.

Sorry for the poor pics. A couple of them are a bit blury but I was tired when I took them.

I had to completely modify the front speaker housings to get my CDT's in the doors. Wasn't expecting to do that and it took me a good few hours.

I'll take a few more pics later of the finished result, mainly the upstage tweets...

What I can say is these speakers are amazing. They have incredible mid bass for a 6.5" speakers. I mean these puppies POUND. and as for the upstage kit I bought.....FANTASTIC!! WOW how they add to the sound. I honestly don't know how I ever got by with out these. The music seems to be floating right in front of the windshield. The front stage is amazing. I'm so very happy with this purchase.

I still have to properly adjust all four cross-overs and the gain on the amp. I have everything set conservatively right now. I just haven't had the time.

anyway here are a few crappy pics...
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/lubetek/DSCF0003.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/lubetek/DSCF0002.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/lubetek/DSCF0008-1.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/lubetek/DSCF0006.jpg

here are the amps that went in after the speakers:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/lubetek/DSCF0001-1.jpg

Torgus
12-07-2006, 01:24 PM
so you have 1 tweeter in the door and one facing you? i thought the soundstagekit tweets were supposed to face accross the windshield...tell me all about the upstage kit it's my next upgrade i'm thinking...

edit is that in a buick century?

alteraudiousa
12-07-2006, 07:02 PM
upstage kit ideally should be pointed across the face of the windshield, it helps for installs that can't be imaged well due to limitations or whatever.

lubetek
12-07-2006, 10:17 PM
I never stated they pointed at me. The upstage tweets are pointed towards the windshield and diagonally. They work in combonation with the upstage modules (cross-overs) and your comps main cross-overs.

Amp> upstage modules> crossovers> speakers.

CDT recommends you install them in the pillar pointing directly across to the other pillar OR mounted to the front dash and pointed across or towards the windshield (which is what I did)

Sounds amazing. AMAZING.