PDA

View Full Version : left outer tie right

Bspeltback
11-25-2006, 07:18 PM
I need to install a new one....So how do I do it? I have the tie rof now and it needs to be done by thursday

jeepintn
11-25-2006, 07:19 PM
:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: what?

Bspeltback
11-25-2006, 07:21 PM
Sorry I hate this laptop, I need to install a new tie rod but I do't know how to do it and the local shop wants 120. So im asking how to do it.

DZNUTTS
11-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Jack the car up and dive under. Once you see it, it'll be pretty simple to get off.
Just don't lose the clips.

Silver
11-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Have fun getting it right.

They are charging you 120 for an alignment also.

boogeroby72
11-27-2006, 11:12 PM
you just unscrew it then screw the new one on. simple. then get it aligned.

01sugar2
11-30-2006, 01:27 AM
If you haven't already done this job, they look harder than they are (most of the time). Take the wheel off after the vehicle is jacked up and PLACED/set to rest on a jack stand (for the love of God don't work with just a floor jack under the car); set the parking brake. There's a Castle Nut (looks like some towers with a metal cotter pin through it) on one pointed end of your Tie Rod; listen carefully. Remove the cotter pin, and then back the castle nut off till the bottom of the threads that the nut runs up on is flush with the tall towers of the castle nut itself. In other words, only back that nut off a few threads from where it was to begin with. Take a rather large hammer and pound away (seriously do this) at the metal housing that your tie rod pins into; this metal housing is called the steering knuckle. After a few good whacks (you'll see what I mean), the tie rod end should pop free. At that point, the nut can come off and you can disconnect the steering linkage from the steering knuckle.

Unscrew the tie rod end from the long shaft that it's threaded to, WHILE MAKING SURE to count the turns in half turns so that you know exactly how many turns to screw your new one back in place. That screwing in step is one of your alignment settings that are messed with during an alignment; this is your Toe Setting. In short, if you screw it in too far or not far enough, your steering will be way off, and one wheel will be "toed" in wards or outwards. Reinstall everything in reverse order and you should have it done in no time. Sounds worse than it really is! IF for the love of God none of this at all makes sense to you, pay the repair shop to replace the item and to give you an alignment!!!!! Can't stress that last part enough. You may save yourself a few dollars by purchasing the needed tie rod end yourself, but not loosing a wheel or steering or anything else while driving down the road is worth spending 120 for. Best of Luck with the Repair(s)!! If you do replace the part, you still need an alignment done so you'll be out money anyhow; just a thought.

Dustin