PDA

View Full Version : Boston Z6's .......any opinions?

bonesninja
11-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Well i sold my CDT EF51's and looking for a serious upgrade in the front. Looking at the Boston Acoustics Z6 comps, and thinking of powering them with a Kicker 850.2 amp.

So the question at hand is that the comps say they can handle 400rms and they are 3 ohms. The kicker puts out 300@4ohms and 425@2ohms. Do the Boston really like that much power and do you think the kicker is a good match?

I've pretty much decided that my amps will all be kicker just for the sake of likeness, but i'm not really set on the Boston's. Cost of the Boston's is in the neighborhood of $500 shipped so if you know something else thats comparable quality at the same price point, feel free to suggest.

bonesninja
11-25-2006, 04:22 PM
no one?

MBrock4u
11-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Boston's are very nice, its just alot of money to spend. If you have the doe, I would go with them. Those speakers are amazing.

Hoodlum007
11-25-2006, 05:57 PM
I just can not imagine a comp taking 400 watts rms. :crap: I personally would use a cleaner amp then kicker for my comps. Something along the lines of Arc, Zapco and so on.
Also look into these comps below, they have excellent reviews and the sound quality is supposd to be insane.

http://woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=1109

96GTIVR6
11-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Personally I did not care for the tweeter on the Z6's I heard in a Tahoe.

jiggy2dmax
11-26-2006, 12:58 AM
I have them installed right now, traded in my Crystals for them and powered them with the exact same amp you plan on getting. The tweets is definately agressive although not harsh. Its loud but not the type of loud that will give you headache or ring your ears. The midrange is greattt....I cant get enough of it and I think its the only reason I kept them. Downfall comes in the midbass where its lacks extremely to me. My crystals had a ton more midbass. For the money, I think theres better. I got mine cheap so I cant complain but if I had to pay Ebay/Retail price I would prolly look into a Active Setup. And yes, they handle the power and laugh at it although I did kick the tweeter protection in a few times.

bonesninja
11-26-2006, 10:06 AM
hmmm....yours in the kick or the door?

kublkmax
11-26-2006, 03:15 PM
The Z6's are not a bad set. I would def look at another amp. Yes the kickers are powerful but that is not clean power. Why do you think so many spl guys use them. Not many sq guys run them.

supa_c
11-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Personally I did not care for the tweeter on the Z6's I heard in a Tahoe.
If im not mistaken i believe i heard the Z6's yesterday.
The tweeter was way to harsh for my likings.

Echo42987
11-26-2006, 05:15 PM
I love my Z6's. They get extremley loud and sound good doing it.

I don't see what the big deal is about the amp he's using? It'll power them great!

The bostons are one of the clearer sets of comps I have ever ran in my car. I've been extremley happy w/ them.

-Nick-

Frankensuby
11-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Have you looked into the Polk SR line?

I've heard amazing reviews with their reproduction, but a small lack of midbass.

Just a thought.

I'd imagine that the actual RMS handling on the BA's is about 150 or so, and on the Polks, it is 125-ish.

jiggy2dmax
11-26-2006, 09:44 PM
hmmm....yours in the kick or the door?

Yes, there installed IB with a heavily deadened door. I personally like the agressive tweeter but many may not. If you don't care much for the MB quart tweeters, you'll prolly not care much for these. Im not sure who said the Kicker isn't clean power but thats a naive statement, just because they are used for SPL doesnt mean they're not clean amps. They take all the power that the Kicker can throw at them and seem to want more so I do believe they're rated at more than 150. I would guesstimate the Kicker is giving them about 350 a side being that they are three ohm. I do like the flexibility of the crossover, gives you plenty of options. The only thing I dislike is the midbass...like I said, if you get them for a good price then go for it but I dont think there worth Ebay Pricing or Retail. In all honesty, I somewhat liked my Crystals better and they were on the same amp and took it like a champ.

blue
11-26-2006, 09:59 PM
I've probably installed 20 or more sets of the Z6 , in a lot of different cars , and with various placements for install.
They sound OK at best. You must remember , they are a design that is quite a few years old. In my opinion , the new style Pros sound better than the Z6s do , but that shouldn't be a suprise, considering the new Pros are a much newer design.
Boston has a very revealing mid-range in all of their speakers , but their tweeters do NOT sound natural. They simply don't sound like the real instruments they are trying to reproduce , at least from a musician's stand-point.
The Z6s are indeed shy in the mid-bass department, and Boston as much as admitted this when they designed their " Q-Tune " feature into their GT series amps. This equalization circuit was designed from a direct need to compensate for the Z6's lack of quality mid-bass.
For the money you're looking at spending , their are better choices.

bonesninja
11-27-2006, 06:34 PM
well can anyone suggest something better at the same price point? i have about 800 to spend on the comps and the amp combined. i want a LOUD, CLEAN front stage. Don't really want to go active either.

squeak9798
11-27-2006, 06:46 PM
well can anyone suggest something better at the same price point? i have about 800 to spend on the comps and the amp combined. i want a LOUD, CLEAN front stage. Don't really want to go active either.

Forget what those other guys said about you needing a new amplifier. There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with the amplifier you intend on using. Great power, good build quality, etc. There is nothing "unclean" about the Kicker amps. The only way switching amplifiers would be beneficial would be if you were increasing power....which in your case is absolutely unnecessary given you already have 300w per side available.

Also, Chuck Music (cmusic) gives the Z6 an outstanding review in this thread about half way down the page;
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=133747

If you don't know who he is....he's a multiple time world sound quality champion and is essentially considered to be an authority on the subject. I would trust his opinion/review more than anyone else's on this (or most any other) site. He knows what he is talking about, and knows what music should sound like.

Echo42987
11-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Forget what those other guys said about you needing a new amplifier. There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with the amplifier you intend on using. Great power, good build quality, etc. There is nothing "unclean" about the Kicker amps. The only way switching amplifiers would be beneficial would be if you were increasing power....which in your case is absolutely unnecessary given you already have 300w per side available.

Also, Chuck Music (cmusic) gives the Z6 an outstanding review in this thread about half way down the page;
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=133747

If you don't know who he is....he's a multiple time world sound quality champion and is essentially considered to be an authority on the subject. I would trust his opinion/review more than anyone else's on this (or most any other) site. He knows what he is talking about, and knows what music should sound like.

I agree w/ everything this man ever says. He knows what he is talking about!

-Nick-

SQChevy
11-28-2006, 10:28 AM
When I worked at a shop I didn't like the Z6's. The tweets were too harsh for me and it lacked some serious midbass. The Focal components are my favorites so far. See if you can find a set of K2's 2 or 3 way components. They have some of the nicest sounding components. I know someone who is a 14 world sound quality champion spanning both IASCA and USACI and he is running Focal. Amps are definitely important and sometimes, not always, going with amps from the company that makes the speakers is best due to the fact that they build amps for their speakers.

GrnEydDvl
11-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know of any other reviews on the z6's? Perhaps some a little more in depth?

jiggy2dmax
11-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Does anyone know of any other reviews on the z6's? Perhaps some a little more in depth?

SQ is very subjectible(sp) and this thread is perfect proof of that. If your serious about buying them, go out and listen to them. What may sound good to my ears, may sound like crap to yours.

blue
11-28-2006, 09:47 PM

I know that Boston is releasing the replacement for the Z6 in the next couple of months , and thst it should be MUCH better. I also know the Pro Series even sound better than the Z6 does. Pros have more mid-bass , better linearity , and cost much less.
The Rainbow Profi line eats the BAs for lunch , and at less money to boot. So does the Polk SRS , and a host of other component sets. Go listen for yourself.

96GTIVR6
11-29-2006, 04:52 AM
SQ is very subjectible(sp) and this thread is perfect proof of that. If your serious about buying them, go out and listen to them. What may sound good to my ears, may sound like crap to yours.

You sir hit this one right on the head. The most important thing is how they sound to you, so especially if you are going to be spending that much money I would make sure you are getting something you like. (cough look into Morel cough) ;)

That being said, Squeak = God on just about any CA related subject.

SQChevy
11-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Morel does have some nice speakers, I would just stay away from their SQ subs. The old Focal Utopia 5 WS, a 5" woofer, weighed more and was taller than Morel 10" sub. It was kinda scary. The first time my buddy, who was running Morel, did the SPL part of SQ he blew the sub at 130 db. The cone was torn up pretty bad.

bonesninja
11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
well...i can't just go and listen since nobody even close to me sells any of the higher quality brands other than JL but that shop ain't exactly gonna pull out jl's high line and set them up just for me. They are by order only anyways.

96GTIVR6
11-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Morel does have some nice speakers, I would just stay away from their SQ subs. The old Focal Utopia 5 WS, a 5" woofer, weighed more and was taller than Morel 10" sub. It was kinda scary. The first time my buddy, who was running Morel, did the SPL part of SQ he blew the sub at 130 db. The cone was torn up pretty bad.

You mean an Elate 6/9/10 SW or a Supremo SW? I use Elate 6SW's for my mids... If you want loud bass you don't want Morel for your subs, plain and simple. Thats exactly what our Rep said. I mean looking at it did your friend thing it was for SPL? I doubt it...

Edit: What does that have to do with their component systems anyway??? which is what he is asking about?

SQChevy
11-29-2006, 03:52 PM
You mean an Elate 6/9/10 SW or a Supremo SW? I use Elate 6SW's for my mids... If you want loud bass you don't want Morel for your subs, plain and simple. Thats exactly what our Rep said. I mean looking at it did your friend thing it was for SPL? I doubt it...

Edit: What does that have to do with their component systems anyway??? which is what he is asking about?

Just random comment about Morel. Nothing more. I can't recall which set he was using.

Is there a Tweeter around, I know they carry Focal speakers among their set. At least something else to listen to. You may want to try and call Boston and see where the nearest Rep store is if you want to listen.

bonesninja
11-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Just random comment about Morel. Nothing more. I can't recall which set he was using.

Is there a Tweeter around, I know they carry Focal speakers among their set. At least something else to listen to. You may want to try and call Boston and see where the nearest Rep store is if you want to listen.

no tweeter's around here. i would have to drive hours to get to a dealer

squeak9798
11-29-2006, 08:39 PM
well...i can't just go and listen since nobody even close to me sells any of the higher quality brands other than JL but that shop ain't exactly gonna pull out jl's high line and set them up just for me. They are by order only anyways.

Ovations in Ft. Wayne used to have the Z6 on display, if you wanted to go give them a listen.

Ofcourse, there isn't much else of interest there.....

supa_c
11-29-2006, 09:01 PM
I dont really care what Cmusic has to say about them, they sounded like poop.
Id take a vifa tweeter over the boston one any day

blue
11-29-2006, 09:02 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: X2 !

9512ds
11-29-2006, 09:03 PM
I just recieved my pro60s today i cant wait to install them...

thanks blue:);)

blue
11-29-2006, 09:12 PM
I just recieved my pro60s today i cant wait to install them...

thanks blue:);)

You bet man ... Let me know what you think of them once you've had time to sort them out ;)

9512ds
11-29-2006, 09:13 PM
will do man.

should be late december early january. is till havent even gottent he indash installed yet:crap:

squeak9798
11-29-2006, 11:19 PM

This is the good things about opinions.....everyone is entitled to their own :)

Also remember with speakers......it comes down to install. Anything installed incorrectly/poorly/not-optimally will sound bad. So just because you listened to something, it doesn't mean you've experienced it enough to form a valid conclusion on the performance of that particular product.

(not directed at you, just a general comment)

Notwerk
11-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Boston Z6es are pretty much the only metal dome tweets I can stomach (JL Audio XRs maybe, as well). Personally, I think they're pretty **** good.

The Pros are a very nice set, though, and I think a better value as the Z6es are very expensive. But that's not knocking the Z6, they're very nice.

ENDER_XVICM
11-30-2006, 12:20 AM
I'd imagine that the actual RMS handling on the BA's is about 150 or so, and on the Polks, it is 125-ish.

RMS is 400. The Z6 components are just incredible. Amazing clarity and sound reproduction. And they can get LOUD. One of the best sets out there and only $500 to boot.

supa_c
11-30-2006, 02:28 AM
This is the good things about opinions.....everyone is entitled to their own :)

Also remember with speakers......it comes down to install. Anything installed incorrectly/poorly/not-optimally will sound bad. So just because you listened to something, it doesn't mean you've experienced it enough to form a valid conclusion on the performance of that particular product.

(not directed at you, just a general comment)
I dont like metal domes, what can i say :p:
P.S
You know i know all that already ;)

GrnEydDvl
11-30-2006, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the tip. I could not agree with you more. I also cannot go listen to any speakers I am interested in hearing as none are even in sound boards near me that I know of.

No local Rainbow dealer. No local SEAS dealer. No local dealer that has the z6's to demo. If anyone knows of a place nearby please let me know.

I am sure many people who are searching for high end comps have this issue.

michael26
11-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Hit them with the number of watts you're talking about and you'll think you dies and went to heaven.

With that power they get amazingly loud.

I wish I could afford a set :crying:

SQChevy
12-01-2006, 10:20 AM
I dont like metal domes, what can i say :p:

I was curious if you have heard the new Focal Be Tweeters yet. Earth metal and built in surround. You may not like metal tweeters but wow. These things play wide and clear.

Echo42987
12-01-2006, 10:23 AM
yeah I'm sure no one has heard them and if they have the most definetly probably can't afford them

-Nick-