PDA

View Full Version : Question on Sealed Box Chambers

dannyt
11-25-2006, 04:07 AM
I've searched the forum, but I still need help.

Say I was to make a sealed box for 2 12" (something along the lines of CompVR's), would it be better to make one big box with one chamber that the 2 subs share or one big box with 2 chambers for each of the 2 subs with a piece of MDF in the middle?

What are the pros and cons to either?
Is one more preferred over the other?
If I were to make the 2 chamber box, would the middle piece of MDF dividing the chambers have to be 2 pieces of MDF or just 1?

Thanks!:)

phyphoestilic
11-25-2006, 04:12 AM
I'd do the 2 chambers if u have space. I did it for my ported box because
1. If one sub goes out it wont have double the space and have a chance of damaging the subwoofer (not as probable with a sealed box)
2. Better bracing for the box itself. the MDF will help stable the box better and make it stronger.

Only con I can think of is u would need a little more space, with a ported box u might need more than just a little cuse u probably have to make 2 ports.

I say if u have the extra material/time/space to do 2 chambers than go for it.

heyman421
11-25-2006, 04:15 AM
And also any changes from one chamber to the other are going to alter the drivers performance if you do seperates

Probably take a fairly large difference to actually notice with a sealed box (most kickpods aren't 100% identical) , but it's still a risk.

dannyt
11-25-2006, 01:13 PM
So it is better to make 2 chambers rather one chamber? Because most sealed enclosures for 2 subs i've seen searching online have 2 chambers.

helotaxi
11-25-2006, 02:13 PM
It won't take much more space (1 thickness of MDF is all you need) and there is no drawback to building seperate chambers and the benefits are listed above.