PDA

View Full Version : Which box building program is best?

enns_aw
11-25-2006, 02:54 AM
Straightforward question. Which program do you use to build a box? I have come across only 2.

http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

And

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=34.5&Eh=15&Dia=4&Xmax=19&Vd=.16&NumW=2&Vb=3&Fb=25&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

Which one do you use? And why.

P.S. doesnt have to be one of the above

maldecido33
11-25-2006, 02:59 AM
i use my brain, some paper, a pencil, and occassionally a calculator (as in, a handheld one; not an online program)

danteBirosel
11-25-2006, 03:12 AM
i use my brain, some paper, a pencil, and occassionally a calculator (as in, a handheld one; not an online program)

x2, your own calculations on paper is best to trust.

80INCHES
11-25-2006, 09:12 AM
i agree
thats how i do it all the time
i draw out my idea and put in the measurements myself and then i calculate it

i3abyjay25
11-25-2006, 09:30 AM
L.e.a.p is probably one of the best box building programs out their. Comes with a very high price though.

baseballer1100
11-25-2006, 10:44 AM
What calculations do you use if you do it on paper?

PV Audio
11-25-2006, 11:48 AM
L.e.a.p is probably one of the best box building programs out their. Comes with a very high price though.
That isn't what he asked though :slap:

I'm just playin with ya, but I have used LEAP. It's learning curve is worse than AutoCAD. BassBox or WinISD are both good programs, but as has been said, pen and paper are essential. You need the computer to basically check your work, and see what it looks like acoustically.

danteBirosel
11-25-2006, 12:01 PM
What calculations do you use if you do it on paper?

http://www.westcoastcaraudio.net/viewtopic.php?t=220

jeepintn
11-25-2006, 12:05 PM
i use bassbox6, its very simple and easy to learn imo

helotaxi
11-25-2006, 01:18 PM
I use WinISD Pro to figure what volume and tuning I want. From there it's all paper and calculator to actually design the box itself.

PV Audio
11-25-2006, 01:19 PM
I use WinISD Pro to figure what volume and tuning I want. From there it's all paper and calculator to actually design the box itself.
Not to threadjack (well yes actually), but I'm curious to know your stance on the war in Iraq. IIRC, you're in the military, so it'd be interesting to hear an HONEST opinion.

enns_aw
11-25-2006, 01:33 PM
So how exactly do you go about designing a box then? cuz i would like to design one soon for a couple pioneers im getting.

helotaxi
11-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Figure out what volume the box needs to be for the subs to work right, most use a computer program for this. Figure out your limiting dimensions in the space that you are going to give over to the sub enclosure. Using the limiting dimensions (usually height and width) figure the other dimension to give you the volume that you figured that you need in the first step. Volume = length*width*height. 1728 cubic inches = 1 cubic foot. Remember to account for the thickness of the wood when figuring final volume because internal volume is what matters.

PowerNaudio
11-25-2006, 03:09 PM
i agree with you all about using the mathematical equations and do in the calculations by hand. since that should be the standard once you start designing your enclosure. but once you know how to do it by hand, i suggest using software like winISD, bbp or if you have the money leap.
using software just increases the speed of enclosure design. and they are just as accurate as doing the mathematical equations by hand. they just provide you with a nifty graphs for different aspects of enclosure design. like port air speed, spl, group delay, subwoofer excursion, impedance changes. and the cool thing is that the graphs give you the full spectrum of answers for every little change you make for the volume of the enclosure and the tuning of the port with out having to spend time trying to plot the curves your self for every point in the graph,
i think software are a great time saver when it comes to enclosure designing and are super useful. i know how to do every mathematical equation by hand. but i prefer to use the software for the speed and ease of use. i can design and change parameters and check other parameters related to each other in a mater of second and i wont even have to pull the pen or paper. at all.
lol
well that's just my two cents. about this subject.
now as far as them two applications that you're asking about. as long as you know what you're doing they are both useful. again you have to know what you're doing, study the mathematical equations first. learn what you need learn about designing enclosure. so that you don't have to rely on software to tell you what you're trying to do. software is there to help those who already know most of whats there to know about enclosure designing. that's why i can look at most software applications. and don't have to ask which software is better. i can just look, use them and make my own assumption to which one is best.

so with that said. learn how to calculate and design enclosures, by searching for all the equations needed to design enclosures. before you even look at learning how to use one of these applications.

enns_aw
11-26-2006, 01:47 AM
ok, great advice, but still, i have never designed a sub box before. So that being said i need a good starting point. And what if you dont have the parameters of the sub? I'm looking at some pioneer premier ts-w3004spl's. A pair of them. And no website i have ever visited (ive been to about 15 that has them on) has the parameters. not even the pioneer site gives you anything useful...

PV Audio
11-26-2006, 11:45 AM
i agree with you all about using the mathematical equations and do in the calculations by hand. since that should be the standard once you start designing your enclosure. but once you know how to do it by hand, i suggest using software like winISD, bbp or if you have the money leap.
using software just increases the speed of enclosure design. and they are just as accurate as doing the mathematical equations by hand. they just provide you with a nifty graphs for different aspects of enclosure design. like port air speed, spl, group delay, subwoofer excursion, impedance changes. and the cool thing is that the graphs give you the full spectrum of answers for every little change you make for the volume of the enclosure and the tuning of the port with out having to spend time trying to plot the curves your self for every point in the graph,
i think software are a great time saver when it comes to enclosure designing and are super useful. i know how to do every mathematical equation by hand. but i prefer to use the software for the speed and ease of use. i can design and change parameters and check other parameters related to each other in a mater of second and i wont even have to pull the pen or paper. at all.
lol
well that's just my two cents. about this subject.
now as far as them two applications that you're asking about. as long as you know what you're doing they are both useful. again you have to know what you're doing, study the mathematical equations first. learn what you need learn about designing enclosure. so that you don't have to rely on software to tell you what you're trying to do. software is there to help those who already know most of whats there to know about enclosure designing. that's why i can look at most software applications. and don't have to ask which software is better. i can just look, use them and make my own assumption to which one is best.

so with that said. learn how to calculate and design enclosures, by searching for all the equations needed to design enclosures. before you even look at learning how to use one of these applications.
You didn't see what I typed, I use software to check my work and to see how it looks like acoustically :)

PowerNaudio
11-26-2006, 01:45 PM
You didn't see what I typed, I use software to check my work and to see how it looks like acoustically :)

good for you! but i don't believe i was directing this to you.
it was actually for the general public that reads this, that is trying to learn how to design an enclosure by means of software applications alone, with out any prior knowledge of enclosure design.

but i'm glad you read it. and understand what was explain up there.

the point that i was trying to get across is, that you need to learn what is involved in designing enclosure. all the mathematical equations and design aspects that take place and are involved in designing an enclosure, before, you can rely on software applications to speed up your work. because if you know how to design an enclosure with out software applications, you can actually test and judge the applications your self. if you have to ask if this or that design program is any good. then you obviously have allot to learn, when it comes to designing enclosures. I'm not trying to insult anyone by what I'm saying. just stating some facts that need to be addressed when looking at software applications.

if you're asking just because you haven't taken a look at the application and don't what to waist your time testing the application for accuracy. and you know how to design an enclosure already then, this does not apply to you.

enns_aw
11-26-2006, 02:09 PM
So does anyone feel like teaching me what sub parameters you need, and what formulas you need to use and how to use them and what all the different things in the equations mean? I dont mean to be a complete retard but whenever someone says 'take a look at these formulas' i cant understand them at all

PV Audio
11-26-2006, 04:30 PM
^^ http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?PartNumber=500-035&raid=29&rak=500-035 will teach you better than words on a forum.

PowerNaudio
11-26-2006, 04:43 PM
that will work
and so will this one till you get to buy books.
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm

enns_aw
11-27-2006, 02:15 AM
thanks guys, that actually helps. I tried it out and it seems to work. That RE sight that i put a link to gives me roughly the same dimensions for the box too.

creyc
11-27-2006, 02:40 AM
Sorry to stray a little, but does anyone have more info on this LEAP program?

I've used Bass Box Pro and WinISD in the past to get an idea of what to expect before I build.

enns_aw
11-28-2006, 08:26 PM
http://www.westcoastcaraudio.net/viewtopic.php?t=220

Wtf man, the link wont work. All it does is ask me to sign in. And when i registered for the website, it told me that 'only moderators can view topics in the forum'

So again, wtf man. why give a website that you cant see.

Thanks for nothing

PV Audio
11-28-2006, 08:34 PM
James, your sig is flawless :laugh: