PDA

View Full Version : What's new for alpine in 07? Should i wait until ces to buy new w200?

gmc typhoon
11-25-2006, 01:02 AM
I am putting system together for my friend. We are going to get the iva-w200 but on alpines site it states CES 07 is 44 days away from now. Is there a new w200 being produced? Does anyone here have one that can give me some input on it? I am just afraid that if i buy it a new w200 will come out and we'll want that one instead.

Spooby
11-25-2006, 01:07 AM
I am putting system together for my friend. We are going to get the iva-w200 but on alpines site it states CES 07 is 44 days away from now. Is there a new w200 being produced? Does anyone here have one that can give me some input on it? I am just afraid that if i buy it a new w200 will come out and we'll want that one instead.

Even if it came out Alpine generally never makes thier new stuff available until April of that year. IF the new unit is as popular as the W200 was when it came out then it'll probably be on back-order status for the first 3 months of its availability.

Then again Alpine could delay it like the Blackbird docking cradle...which was supposed to come out April 2006. Its Nov 2006 and it still isn't out, and there is now ETA on it.

gmc typhoon
11-25-2006, 01:32 AM
well that's not good. I think we might just wait to see if a new w200 arrives and then decide. Do you happen to know of a device that fully integrates your factory steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit such as the w200? I know that pac device can learn 12 options but i want full control if possible.

Spooby
11-25-2006, 01:52 AM
well that's not good. I think we might just wait to see if a new w200 arrives and then decide. Do you happen to know of a device that fully integrates your factory steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit such as the w200? I know that pac device can learn 12 options but i want full control if possible.

PAC SWI-ALP is what you'll need if you want to integra the W200 with your steering wheel controls.

These are the pictures that are floating around the internet right now. Behind the new Blackbird is the "W205".

http://i7.tinypic.com/3yw8ebt.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/3yxiovn.jpg

thatkidbob
11-25-2006, 01:54 AM
^looks like they're taking notes from pioneer...

Spooby
11-25-2006, 01:57 AM
^looks like they're taking notes from pioneer...

How so? Because they moved the control knob towards the middle?

kicker06
11-25-2006, 01:57 AM
The iDA-x001 is a VERY nice unit.

SlickCMRick
11-25-2006, 05:43 AM
holy ****

i want that deck

danteBirosel
11-25-2006, 05:52 AM
Wow, decks these days are getting more futuristic every year! i wonder how reliable those decks will be.

Rochambeau
11-25-2006, 06:59 AM
You should call Alpine customer service/tech support. They can usually give you an idea what's in the pipeline.

96GTIVR6
11-25-2006, 07:17 AM

As NisAznMonk pointed out the CES showing and the actual release and then the availablilty of an Alpine product are all very far apart. I work at an Alpine dealer, and what they show for the next model year is rarely available before april, and even then the whole line is never available at that point. We're the largest dealer in our area, and we didn't even recieve the IVA-W200's until I believe late June.

Will a new unit come out? Well that is a given. Will it be better then it's predecessor? this is not always the case. My CDA-9835 is better then any of the other single din CD source units in the 05 or 06 lineup from Alpine IMHO. Just because a new double din screen comes out doesn't diminish the capabilities of the W200, it will still be exactly the same. If I was looking at a 7 month wait or so for a different unit to be released I would probably just buy the current one, enjoy it, and then upgrade. Which is probably what will happen a year and a half from now when the unit two down the line is announced...

That single din does look appealing, but my major issue with it would be screen size and placement... After the amount of time Alpine has stuck with their current design scheme it will take time for me to adjust to a different style, especially on higher end gear. That's just my .02 though

Motovet
11-25-2006, 04:20 PM
I really like the looks and layout of that x001. Wonder what the price point will be on it?

96GTIVR6
11-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I really like the looks and layout of that x001. Wonder what the price point will be on it?

I'm going to hazard a guess the MSRP would be around $450-$600

Lil_KB
11-25-2006, 11:18 PM
yummy...i wonder if alpine will get back on the right track they were on years ago...

96GTIVR6
11-25-2006, 11:22 PM
I for one hope so, I was incredibly dissappointed by the lineup this year. It was sure hard to sell most of the line to those who actually needed/wanted audio processing functions for their system. I've always been an Alpine fan, but turned to Pioneer Premier for a while because of the lack of some features on the recent units.
I guess we'll all have to wait till more info is available and they ship to figure out if it's any better this year though. For all we know that new deck is solely an iPod focused piece again. I know that our Alpine rep hinted last year that they were trying to head towards video/ipod and cheaper nav. And away from competing in the 200-600$ deck segment.

BodegaBay
11-26-2006, 03:00 PM
As NisAznMonk pointed out the CES showing and the actual release and then the availablilty of an Alpine product are all very far apart...

Will a new unit come out? Well that is a given. Will it be better then it's predecessor? this is not always the case. My CDA-9835 is better then any of the other single din CD source units in the 05 or 06 lineup from Alpine IMHO. ...

Great points GTI. I've owned at least eight Alpine head-units dating back to 1991 but -F1 aside- I just can't take them seriously anymore. The 9831/9835 were the last affordable feature packed head-unit they offered. Since then they've offered some really sparten and cost cutting units; this culminated with the deletion of motorized faceplate feature on new 2006 single DIN units. I'm sure they're right about the market trend but by the same token, they're driving the market as well.