PDA

View Full Version : Subs up, Port back really the best for suv's?

kowboy
11-24-2006, 11:04 PM
I have always had rear-facing subs AND ports in my boxes (no comps, just daily street-beating). I tried my box today facing up (port up too, unfortunately), and it sounded like total ***! I mean it was probably half the output, and when the sub got to the point of overexcursion, I heard it LOUD and CLEAR! I mean it was terrible. I pulled over in a lot (I couldn't even wait 'til I got home), and turned it back toward the rear. It POUNDS!

Just so you know, I've got a 18" XXX in a chevy suburban, but I'm gonna sell it and do two treo ssx 15's, and build a new box. My question is this: Will the ports facing the rear make that much of a difference? I can't pay for two boxes, so it's gotta be right the first time. Will subs up, port back bang harder than everything rear-facing?

sku
11-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Hmm...did you play with how close you put the port to the rear of the car?

jeepintn
11-24-2006, 11:10 PM
i have a box for four twelves, subf forward and ports forward, worked best for me

kowboy
11-24-2006, 11:13 PM
i have a box for four twelves, subf forward and ports forward, worked best for me

Have you ever turned it around? Do you have a suv?

jeepintn
11-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Have you ever turned it around? Do you have a suv?

yes, i have a jeep grand cherokee, and i turned it around, and it may be because the size of my bos is so large, but i had much much less output with it rearwards than i did frontwards

kowboy
11-24-2006, 11:18 PM
yes, i have a jeep grand cherokee, and i turned it around, and it may be because the size of my bos is so large, but i had much much less output with it rearwards than i did frontwards

****....one more thing to consider. I swear I wish I was a box-building guru, and could try several different ones, but I'm paying someone for this thing and **** gets expensive, y'know?

jeepintn
11-24-2006, 11:23 PM
****....one more thing to consider. I swear I wish I was a box-building guru, and could try several different ones, but I'm paying someone for this thing and **** gets expensive, y'know?

yep. if the box is fairly large, just turn it forward like a wall and there will be no blockage, and u will be good to go

baseballer1100
11-24-2006, 11:23 PM

**** mdf gets expensive.

kowboy
11-25-2006, 12:12 AM
**** mdf gets expensive.

yeah, i hear ya. But $20 is better than $200 each time!

baseballer1100
11-25-2006, 01:52 AM
True dat!

danteBirosel
11-25-2006, 04:15 AM
It really depends on the SUV. Some may like sub up port rear, sub up port up, etc. All you have to do is do the test. Everyone has different SUVs, so you can't really ask that kind of question. It's up to you, to determine which is louder to the EAR.

Want more accurate results? Buy yourself a termlab, you will surely know which is more effective or not.

coolahan
11-25-2006, 05:12 AM
Yeah depends on the vechicle but in most cases you really want to make them face towards the back. (subs back port back) Also I know how our 18s perform when they're facing up, they **** ***. Sound quality is so much better facing towards the rear. IMO

mazdakid
11-25-2006, 12:34 PM
my 18 was loudest with both sub and port facing back as close to the back hatch as you could get it in my old jeep cherokee

SiX
11-26-2006, 04:02 AM
I've got one of my 18" Destroyers in a Trailblazer for the time being, and sub & port back work great about 6inches from the rear hatch door...

Calikid
11-26-2006, 04:04 AM
in my tahoe the best way was to face the port and sub back i turned them forward, and notice that the sound was lower.

SUB_URBAN
11-26-2006, 12:02 PM
I have a Crx Box in My 95 burban and
I hit a 147 with a type R and a hifonics bx1500d. I have never tested a sub back and port back box in my suv.

Abel
11-26-2006, 12:18 PM
my setup up is loudest sub up port to passenger side

Exploder 97
11-26-2006, 12:29 PM
when i had my explorer i had the crx box for 3 10;s... it certainly makes it quite a bit loudr. but the sound quality is sacrifised greatly

matrxx dude
11-26-2006, 12:38 PM
ive got a explorer,ive tried subs back and ports back sounded good and done good,now i have sub facing up and port back it hits harder and does more on the term.