PDA

View Full Version : $500 Budget, Need Opinions!

Drunkship
11-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post on here, but I'm not a complete idiot to the car audio scene. This is a bit of a lengthy post, so please bear with me.

My current set-up is as follows:

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P3800MP

Front Speakers: Pioneer TS-A1780R
Front Amplifier: Pioneer GM-3100T

Subwoofer: Alpine SWR-1242D
Subwoofer Amplifier: Kenwood KAC-8152D

Basically, my Pioneer speakers and amplifier aren't cuttin' it anymore for me. I'm looking to get some 6.5" or 6.75" component speakers.

Now, I realize everyone's opinions differ from one another, so I guess I'm just looking for everyone's opinions on what they think are good component speakers.

I do however, have a budget of $500 for a pair of speakers and an amplifier to power them. Anything with a total of under $500 would be great! I may also want to invest in some 6"x9"s, but I don't really care for 6"x9"s. But, I guess my subwoofer is too loud and my front speakers aren't loud enough if you are sitting in the back seat.

I've done a little research and have come up with a couple of suggestions myself:

Front Speakers:
CDT Audio EF-61FG
A/D/S 346cs
A/D/S 246ix

Amplifier:
Phoenix Gold X200.2
Elemental Designs NINe.2X

Any other suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Drunkship

Hoodlum007
11-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Get the P.G. Xenon amp with this higher series comp set and it should shound soo :yumyum: :yumyum:

http://woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5091

vetkilr
11-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Get the P.G. Xenon amp with this higher series comp set and it should shound soo :yumyum: :yumyum:

Yep and this lil amp for 225.00 shipped you get you right there.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195147

Drunkship
11-24-2006, 12:44 PM

Wow, $299.99, looks amazing!

I only have one problem... I'm only seventeen and my father owns the car I drive.

While this is my money I'm spending, if he thinks I'm wasting my money on things such as speakers, he won't let me put them in the car to begin with (it took me a month to convince him to let me get a subwoofer).

Although I'd love to get those speakers, realistically speaking, I don't think he'd approve of anything over $200 for a pair of speakers.

Also, is that PG amplifier actually good? I don't know much about them, but the amplifier itself looks kind of crappy... Then again it's the insides that count.

ctmike
11-24-2006, 12:52 PM
those xenon amps are good. personally i think they look good to. but they are slightly underrated and they put out power from 1-4ohms for better wiring options. and cdt's are very good speakers and at www.premier-auto.com they have them on sale for a couple more days. also check out www.audiojunkies.com, they have some rainbows left on sale as they are getting out of the car audio side of the business.

Drunkship
11-24-2006, 01:01 PM
those xenon amps are good. personally i think they look good to. but they are slightly underrated and they put out power from 1-4ohms for better wiring options. and cdt's are very good speakers and at www.premier-auto.com they have them on sale for a couple more days. also check out www.audiojunkies.com, they have some rainbows left on sale as they are getting out of the car audio side of the business.

Personally, I like plain rectangular looking amplifiers, although I could care less if it's a good amplifier.

The Premier-Auto website didn't seem to work, but Audio Junkies has some nice component speakers. Although, I think they are all 5.25" speakers.

My car fits 6.75" speakers, so I'd already have to make a baffle to fit 6.5" speakers. Would 5.25" speakers sound any worse or quieter than 6.5"s?

ctmike
11-24-2006, 03:13 PM
sorry about that, it's www.premier-audio.com

OneKrazyKeebler
11-24-2006, 03:18 PM
If I am not mistaken, I think 6.5's should fit where 6.75's fit with no problem. At least that is how it is on my dakota.

Drunkship
11-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks for all the great advice guys! I think, unless anyone else has any interjections, I've got my speakers all picked out.

CDT Audio EF-61FG

6.5" 2-way
Midrange: 6.5" Cast Fabric stripe Fiber Glass cone
Crossover: SatNet-400 Elliptic 4th/5th order 2-way
Tweeter: TW-24 1" Smooth Silk Dome
Power handling: 140 watt RMS
Frequency response: 60-20kHz
Sensitivity: 91.5 dB.
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Surface & swivel flush mount housings

Price: $199.99

This leaves me with $300.01 left, which has to go towards a two-channel amplifier and an amplifier wiring kit.

Any other amplifier suggestions besides the Phoenix Gold Xenon X200.2 and Elemental Designs NINe.2X?