PDA

View Full Version : Success with w6 and JL ported box plan?

evan
11-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Have any of you used the JL ported box plan for a w6 (12w6 especially) and had great results? I'm wondering if I should go with the design they suggest or maybe one from the sticky at the top of this section.

From JL:
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/862/jl12w6v2boxplansnewmw7.png

From Moe Lester: 1.6 @ 32Hz
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3228/16cubes32hz25sqin9rn.png

The dimensions for the 12w6 box are really similar to the second plan with a small difference in port size and 0.01ft^3.

Eugenics
11-23-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure why you would port a W6

gl0ck
11-23-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure why you would port a W6

So he can be UBER-Loud!

evan
11-23-2006, 10:17 PM
So, you're recommending I go with a sealed enclosure then? JL doesn't seem to lean one way or another so I thought I'd try a ported box for a few months before I do a sealed fiberglass enclosure this summer.

Eugenics
11-23-2006, 10:19 PM
i just look at the W6 as more of a SQ driver than an SQL driver. So midas well go all out.

evan
11-23-2006, 10:24 PM
i just look at the W6 as more of a SQ driver than an SQL driver. So midas well go all out.
I agree, but does putting a sub in a ported box automatically throw SQ out the window?

SQBubble
11-23-2006, 10:58 PM
I agree, but does putting a sub in a ported box automatically throw SQ out the window?

not at all.

Thieroff
11-23-2006, 11:02 PM
MY IDQs sound just as good ported as they did sealed, just louder now

and get lower in a car environment

CT

creyc
11-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Go to a hifi stereo shop and take a peek. Every high end speaker you will find is ported.

Thieroff
11-23-2006, 11:07 PM
porting,, if done right can still sound good, just gotta tune lower than 32hz for car stereo

Haha, I'm not gonna debate it because SQ is subjective
and everything i stated in this thread is IMHO, and in my experience

Thieroff is not the end all be all to this subject

CT

evan
11-24-2006, 02:02 AM
porting,, if done right can still sound good, just gotta tune lower than 32hz for car stereo

Haha, I'm not gonna debate it because SQ is subjective
and everything i stated in this thread is IMHO, and in my experience

Thieroff is not the end all be all to this subject
CT
I appreciate the input, and I didn't mean for this to become another sealed vs. ported thread because I'm going to be trying both eventually. I was hoping to get some input on which ported design would be best, JL's design vs. others. I assume there is some research behind the JL design so I'll probably try that, but more firsthand experience with the w6 and a ported enclosure is welcome.

PowerNaudio
11-24-2006, 02:19 AM
well the ebp of the sub is like 54 so its would perform better on a sealed enclosure.
i dont know if you noticed but both of those enclosures are very similar, i doubt that youll hear a diffrence from one to the other. for ported i would tune it alittle lower then 30Hz just to get that real low end bass out there.

or you could try a 4th order bandpass to get a decent uper and lower end bass

evan
11-24-2006, 02:24 AM
well the ebp of the sub is like 54 so its would perform better on a sealed enclosure.
What is ebp?

PowerNaudio
11-24-2006, 02:28 AM
the efficiency bandwidth product for that particular sub, its the fs divided by the qes wich will equal an ebp if its below 50 then its best for a sealed enclosure. if its above 100 then its best for a ported.

evan
11-24-2006, 02:35 AM
the efficiency bandwidth product for that particular sub, its the fs divided by the qes wich will equal an ebp if its below 50 then its best for a sealed enclosure. if its above 100 then its best for a ported.
I assume the area between 50 and 100 is where a sub could work in either box design, but since for a 12w6v2 ebs= 52.08 it must be more likely to work well with a sealed enclosure? Is that a hard and fast rule?

PowerNaudio
11-24-2006, 02:46 AM
that is correct, but you can still put the sub in a ported enclosure you just have to be carefull with the power rating since the spider supencion is a little softer. and can bottom out if pushed too hard on a ported. but it will still work it may just sound a bit slopy on a big ported enclosure, thats why jl gives you a 1.5cuft and not a bigger enclosure.

80INCHES
11-24-2006, 07:33 AM
hmm its like my se12...the ebp is 51 ...so being that they work very well in sealed boxes u can actually put them in a 4th order bandpass...cuz is a sealed boxplaying into a ported box and also too...4th order bandpass boxes display sealed box characteristic

just food 4 thought

evan
11-24-2006, 12:34 PM
I just read the tutorial on the JL site about bandpass boxes and it sounds pretty intimidating.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=151

The last paragraph in particular makes it sound pretty difficult to tune a box properly. When they talk about all subs being different, do they mean different in the aspects that they provide specifications for? With the information they provide is it possible to accurately design a single-reflex bandpass box for one of their subs?

GrnEydDvl
11-24-2006, 01:51 PM
If I was you I would not mess with bandpass enclosures yet. You can get great results without worrying about bp. Later, if you decide you want to play around and try new things then go for BP.

Either of those designs should work well and should yield similar results. You wont notice the difference between .1 cu ft in net vol and the only real difference is in the port area. Both boxes are within the range for DD for port area.

I had my w6 in sealed box first, then tried ported, then went back to sealed. Ported it got louder for sure but I just didn't like the freq response. 12w6'd are not low end monsters by any means and with the ported box their low low end response just was not there, for my tastes.

They really seem to shine in sealed boxes. Not as loud and "boomy" but tonally accurate and loud enough.

helotaxi
11-24-2006, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't stray too far from the volume and tuning of the JL recommended box. The exact dimensions of each panel aren't important but the box volume and tuning are. Tune it much lower than recomended, and it will likely not sound right.

EBP is not a hard and fast rule but more of a rough wag and something to give you an idea of where to start.