PDA

View Full Version : fiberglassing inside box

05_ZX636
11-23-2006, 09:23 PM
ok, i built a small box in spare tire well, but decided wasnt enough bass and just never finished it. now i building new box and fiberglassing it. i have read alot here, but read somewhere else, dont remember where, that after putting first coat of resin on fleece to put coat of resin on inside of fleece. then put as many coats of matt and resin on the inside as possible to make the sanding alot easier. has anybody done this, or would it make that big of a difference?

.::DuD3::.
11-24-2006, 12:46 AM
when laying your glass, a lot of people try and place the glass on the inside because it requires less sanding in the end. although if you're going to carpet it, you probably wont need to do much if any sanding so i wouldn't worry about it.

iamamp3pimp
11-24-2006, 01:06 AM
when you say fiberg;lassing it, you mean making it out of glass, or the inside or what?

05_ZX636
11-24-2006, 01:17 AM
like fiberglassing the backside of the fleece with mat and resin for easier sanding. i am painting mine so thats what i wanted to know. like would it be better to put all the layers on the inside of fleece or some on both sides?

PowerNaudio
11-24-2006, 01:52 AM
start by doing one layer on the flece make sure you mix the resin and hardner right so it doesnt cure too quick on you since you want the fleece to soak the resin completly before it starts to cure. onece you have saturated the flece with resin let it cure, then do another layer of resin on the outside to make sure that the top layer is nice and smoth. for later sanding. let that cure as well. then start laying your fiberglass mat or cloth on the inside of the enclosure as many layers nesesary to make the enclosure strong. make sure there are no air pockets in between layers of fiberglass. you can poke the air bubles out with the brush as the resin cures. once youre done with the fiberglasin of the inside of the enclosure , you can move on to the outside and start sanding the top layer of resin till is smoth, use filler to fill the low spots. and filler primer is best once you have made your enclosure smoth and all the high and low spots taken care off. you can sand the primer with up to a 400grit. then you can paint.

05_ZX636
11-24-2006, 02:08 AM
thanks, thats answers i needed. i will keep updated on build.

.::DuD3::.
11-24-2006, 02:10 AM
be careful with the bubbles though, they will kick your anus if you get too many of them.