PDA

View Full Version : Different ways to finish subwoofer boxes?

THXdts
11-23-2006, 10:40 AM
What are some different ways that you can finish subwoofer boxes besides carpet? I really don't like the look of carpet. It comes off, and when you vaccum it, it makes it look like ****.

phyphoestilic
11-23-2006, 10:42 AM
fiberglass and paint it? Vinyl, leather, etc. Leave it wood.

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Fiberglass and paint, fiberglass and vinyl, carpet, leather, suede, flock but it would take alot, laminate, build out of birch plywood and stain for a woodgrain look, plexiglass, SEM spray texture to match factory colors

Jonahdude
11-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Spray-on bedliner is pretty sweet, and is perfect if you need something durable.

THXdts
11-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Spray-on bedliner is pretty sweet, and is perfect if you need something durable.

Can you find some pics?

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Sand, primer, sand, primer, primer, primer, paint, wetsand, paint, wetsand, paint, clear, wetsand, clear, wetsand, clear, clear for a super glossy look

WWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYY TOO MANY STEPS!!! It doesn't take that much work to paint a box man.

Jonahdude
11-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Can you find some pics?

Not any more easily than you could, none of my current boxes have it.

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 11:06 AM
It is alot of work but I didn't wet sand or buff this box

http://www.undefinedcustoms.com/images/console1.jpg

Army-Killa
11-23-2006, 11:12 AM
is that fiberglass. Or just a shitload of primer sanding wetsanding and some rattlecan?

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 11:15 AM
is that fiberglass. Or just a shitload of primer sanding wetsanding and some rattlecan?

It is a special high build primer and dupli color paint LOL It's fiberglass and automotive paint/clear

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Good materials + good equipment= good results

pitbull12888
11-23-2006, 11:20 AM

wtf is that goin in, ur batman car?
lol jk man looks good

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 11:22 AM
wtf is that goin in, ur batman car?
lol jk man looks good

LOL we all had a good laugh about it when I got through. It goes in a 2000 Harley Davidson F-150 between the rear seats. It houses 2 Solo Baric L& 10" subs. Look really good in the truck.

PV Audio
11-23-2006, 11:23 AM
WWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYY TOO MANY STEPS!!! It doesn't take that much work to paint a box man.
I'd actually confidently say that's not enough steps. It can take far longer to finish the enclosure than to build it if you want to do it properly with only having OTC materials.

Kenny Pollock
11-23-2006, 11:24 AM
**** that box looks good... PM me details on the finish, we're planning on doing a lot of things in my car with a similar black finish to match my car.

siliconinja
11-23-2006, 11:25 AM
haha, i was about to say that.. im watchin batman returns right now, just passed the part where he's painting the kevlar suit with a spray gun.. i was crackin up

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 11:28 AM
I'd actually confidently say that's not enough steps. It can take far longer to finish the enclosure than to build it if you want to do it properly with only having OTC materials.

I've personally never had to go through that many steps to finish one. May just be me though.

hatemonger
11-23-2006, 11:34 AM

looks like a center console on steroids. very nice.

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 11:37 AM
There are a few more things I have done at www.undefinedcustoms.com/memberrides/daryl

Chevyaudio
11-23-2006, 11:38 AM
bedliner...sprayed with a low texture to create a smother look.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/chevyaudio/IMGP0100.jpg

pitbull12888
11-23-2006, 11:39 AM
so this is just bondo sanded over and over? then wet sanded?

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 11:47 AM
so this is just bondo sanded over and over? then wet sanded?

Check out page 3 on this post:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196760&page=3

I'm headed out now. Happy Thankgiving to all! Shoot me a PM if you have anymore questions and I'll answer when I get back in.

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Oh yeah, this one too. I forgot I posted the work log of it

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197336&page=5

THXdts
11-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Where can you buy the spray on bedliner at online?

THXdts
11-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Or in a store..anyone?

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Or in a store..anyone?

Take it somewhere that does spray on bedliners. You will get the best results. I think you can buy the stuff yourself at like autozone or advanced auto parts or O'reilly for that matter.

PV Audio
11-23-2006, 08:39 PM
I've personally never had to go through that many steps to finish one. May just be me though.
I do home audio first and foremost, and I don't know anyone who can get a perfect piano black finish with that few steps. However, painting MDF to a flawless finish is different than fiberglass because FG is used as a sealant anyway, so it probably isn't as difficult to get all the edges to line up perfectly since there aren't any edges :D

Beutiful work though, it looks excellent.

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 08:48 PM
I do home audio first and foremost, and I don't know anyone who can get a perfect piano black finish with that few steps. However, painting MDF to a flawless finish is different than fiberglass because FG is used as a sealant anyway, so it probably isn't as difficult to get all the edges to line up perfectly since there aren't any edges :D

Beutiful work though, it looks excellent.

Flush trim router bits work well to line up edges :) Personally I don't put paint directly to mdf anyway. I always like to put duraglass on it for a strong foundation to work on, block it down, bondo, block that down, prime, and paint. MDF isn't completely flat to start with.

I appreciate the compliments!

PV Audio
11-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Flush trim router bits work well to line up edges :) Personally I don't put paint directly to mdf anyway. I always like to put duraglass on it for a strong foundation to work on, block it down, bondo, block that down, prime, and paint. MDF isn't completely flat to start with.

I appreciate the compliments!
Flushtrim bits do indeed work well, but it's still not enough to make a flawless edge. I know a guy who spent a month just sanding and sealing his 2.5 way towers to just get them ready for primer :laugh:

And respect is given where respect is due. How do you protect the finish? I find that a nice synthetic sealant (carnauba doesn't last long enough for me) such as Meguiar's NXT or Meguiar's #21 topped with a good 'nuba wax gets the job done right.

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Flushtrim bits do indeed work well, but it's still not enough to make a flawless edge. I know a guy who spent a month just sanding and sealing his 2.5 way towers to just get them ready for primer :laugh:

And respect is given where respect is due. How do you protect the finish? I find that a nice synthetic sealant (carnauba doesn't last long enough for me) such as Meguiar's NXT or Meguiar's #21 topped with a good 'nuba wax gets the job done right.

Yeah I really like Meguiars NXT. Goes on easy, buffs off easy, and lasts for a good while. It's pretty much the only thing I use on my vehilces now. There are some other quality waxes out there by 3M that are really good as well. I just hate to spend $40 for a 16 oz bottle of wax LOL

PV Audio
11-23-2006, 10:33 PM
A fellow detailer I see! You on autopia.org? It's a great site. Finesse It is just fair in comparison to NXT IMO, however.

baseballer1100
11-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Pv want to detail my car?

PV Audio
11-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Sure, bring it up here. You supply the warmth (you could bring your sister :D ), I'll supply the detailing. It's cold as a mother.

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 10:38 PM
A fellow detailer I see! You on autopia.org? It's a great site. Finesse It is just fair in comparison to NXT IMO, however.

No, I've never been to that site. I'll check it out. Anyway....I probably need to get to bed LOL I gotta get up at 5 and go to work.

baseballer1100
11-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Sure, bring it up here. You supply the warmth (you could bring your sister :D ), I'll supply the detailing. It's cold as a mother.

Haha funny. yeah maybe ill just wait until summer?

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 10:46 PM
One more thing that I do like about the the Meguiars wax is that if it rains or anything like that, I can take my California duster and wipe over the vehicle to remove the loose dirt and then use Meguiars Quick Detail and wipe over the truck and it looks like I just detailed it no scratches or swirl marks at all. I LOVE meguiars products.

PV Audio
11-23-2006, 10:50 PM
One more thing that I do like about the the Meguiars wax is that if it rains or anything like that, I can take my California duster and wipe over the vehicle to remove the loose dirt and then use Meguiars Quick Detail and wipe over the truck and it looks like I just detailed it no scratches or swirl marks at all. I LOVE meguiars products.
*stabbed in the heart*

I *HATE* those california dusters. Every single one I've used has created marring in my paint. It's terrible! I just my home-brew detailing spray (Poorboy's Spray and Wipe mixed with carnauba liquid), and wipe away my troubles with no scratching, marring, or hazing. I also cannot stand those stupid jelly blade squeegee things for drying the car. One *little* bit of dirt left and you'll be seeing a beautiful scratch.

xtremekustomz
11-23-2006, 10:53 PM
*stabbed in the heart*

I *HATE* those california dusters. Every single one I've used has created marring in my paint. It's terrible! I just my home-brew detailing spray (Poorboy's Spray and Wipe mixed with carnauba liquid), and wipe away my troubles with no scratching, marring, or hazing. I also cannot stand those stupid jelly blade squeegee things for drying the car. One *little* bit of dirt left and you'll be seeing a beautiful scratch.

Usually I use my duser in the Spring time down here. We have a HUGE pollen problem. You can wipe the vehicle off in the morning and within 2 hours it will be completely covered. I've always had good luck with them. I have used the blade squeegee before and haven't really had any problem with it but most of the time I use an Absorber. Anyway, I've got to go this time LOL Later

PV Audio
11-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Absorber...pfft. Waffle weave microfiber is all that touches my paint. :D

Although I do own three Absorbers :D