PDA

View Full Version : 90 VW Golf and Apline Head Unit

spunkybuffalo
11-22-2006, 08:12 PM
This question is more about the Volkswagon then the head unit, but i have a 90 VW golf and an 9851 Alpine Head unit. I was wondering if anyone know if you can hook up the head unit to turn off with the car. Right now i cannot figure out how to do that. I see the two seperate wires for the alpine, but i can't find the wire to go thru the ignition switch on the car. Any help would be great.

Thanks

KaeZoo
11-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Older Volkswagens didn't use the accessory power wire at the radio, so you'd need to run your own. You can look for an accessory fuse in the fuse box that loses power when the key is switched off, and tap a wire into it for your accessory input. You can also find the ignition harness (the wires that run to the ignition switch) and tap into the correct wire at the switch. I'm not sure if the cig lighter loses power with the key on that vehicle, but if it does, you may be able to tap the wire at the back of the socket.

heyman421
11-22-2006, 08:56 PM
i say drop in an obd1 12v, and stop fussin' with the radio ;)

spunkybuffalo
11-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the replys. I think im going to splice into the ignition wire. My only worry is if the ignition wire can take the 3amps/45 watt of the head unit or whatever it draws off of the battery. Anyone see any problems with this?

Darth Audio
11-23-2006, 03:51 PM
The only problem is you may possibly get some engine noise/whine using an ignition wire as a remote. I would suggest using a relay to avoid this problem. (I did this when I owned an older Audi) There is an example of how to wire it at this link. It's like the fourth or fifth one down. You can get a generic relay at wal-mart or auto zone pretty cheap. Good luck.:2thumbs:

http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/relays.html

KaeZoo
11-23-2006, 08:51 PM
The accessory input of an aftermarket head unit typically draws less than one amp. The main power input is the yellow constant lead.

I've never had a problem with engine noise from connecting to a wire at the ignition harness, and there's no reason to expect it. The accessory connection in most vehicles goes to the ignition switch; it just runs through the fuse box first. There's no need to bother with a relay.