PDA

View Full Version : 4 12's under the seat of a 05' Chevy X-Cab

jdc753
11-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Ok so my friend enlisted me and his brother to design his system. His brother told him he could get 4 12's under his back seat and thats what he wants. After taking measurements it looked tight to say the least. After mounting depth issues with mounting all the subs along the top he came up with this idea. Subs are Adire Koda 12s with 5.75" mounting and require minimum 0.5 cubic feet air space in a sealed box. Each side has about 1.20 cubic feet of space. I just have a bad feeling about the design, and wondering if there are any glaring flaws with it, cancelation, or just general crappy sound maybe. Let me know what stands out before we go ahead and build it this weekend. Thanks ahead of time for the input.

http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=7345&catid=member&imageuser=31498

Rc 415
11-22-2006, 04:22 PM
I have a kit that raises the rear bench 3 inches, it helps a ton, too bad i just traded the truck in. I still have the kit though...

OneKrazyKeebler
11-22-2006, 04:25 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Do that and make the boxes just a little bigger sealed.

That would be awsome

jdc753
11-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Yea we are planning on lifting the seat as is just to get some room. Do you know where you got the kit? Otherwise we will probably come up with our own. I will make sure to get some pics of the build this weekend and post them. Will be the first install of 4 12's under the factory seat that I have seen, can only find installs of 2 12's in prefab boxes it seems. Thanks for the help guys, I'll post later with the outcome of the build and sound test.

Rc 415
11-22-2006, 06:36 PM
I'll sell you my kit, send me a pm

PowerNaudio
11-22-2006, 08:02 PM
one thing that i think could be an issue is having the sub so close to the floor. whats the distance from the sub to the floor?

jdc753
11-23-2006, 10:57 AM
one thing that i think could be an issue is having the sub so close to the floor. whats the distance from the sub to the floor?

Yea, there is very little room in this and so everything is going to be very close at the least. I just looked at my drawing again and its showing 1" from the flange of the sub to the floor, and then specs listed for Xmax on the koda is 18.5mm one way linear which is almost 3/4". I think I may have to pick the box up just a little more to be on the safe side. With a 2" or 3" seat lift I think it will work, were just gonna have to build it and see how it comes out.

kowboy
11-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Yea we are planning on lifting the seat as is just to get some room. Do you know where you got the kit? Otherwise we will probably come up with our own. I will make sure to get some pics of the build this weekend and post them. WILL BE THE FIRST INSTALL OF 4 12'S UNDER THE FACTORY SEAT THAT I HAVE SEEN, can only find installs of 2 12's in prefab boxes it seems. Thanks for the help guys, I'll post later with the outcome of the build and sound test.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/kowboysss/jl12w62.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/kowboysss/jl12w6.jpg

Here ya go.....Looks to be lifted quite a bit though, but this may help your plight.

jdc753
11-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Here ya go.....Looks to be lifted quite a bit though, but this may help your plight.

Very Nice install, do you know what subs those are? Looks to be a 3" lift or so. None of us on this project are fiberglass experts but we could attempt something like that. Creativity is half the fun. Only thing I would worry about with something like that is there is little legroom in the back already and wouldn't want someone putting their heel into the sub. Thanks for the pics, looks like back to the drawing board for a bit lol.

OneKrazyKeebler
11-23-2006, 11:51 AM
nice build that guy did, you should leave a little more than just the Xmax, leave 3-4 inches more than peak excursion.

kowboy
11-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Very Nice install, do you know what subs those are? Looks to be a 3" lift or so. None of us on this project are fiberglass experts but we could attempt something like that. Creativity is half the fun. Only thing I would worry about with something like that is there is little legroom in the back already and wouldn't want someone putting their heel into the sub. Thanks for the pics, looks like back to the drawing board for a bit lol.

Those are jlaudio 12w6v2's. Yeah, you would definitely wanna know a little something about fiberglass, lol! As far as legroom goes, I would just do grill covers, like i did!!!!....Mine were 10's though...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/kowboysss/kowboysss01.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/kowboysss/kowboysss02.jpg

matrxx dude
11-23-2006, 12:19 PM
i think in your case for the best sound i would go with 2 instead of 4,2 will be louder and sound better most often.

OneKrazyKeebler
11-24-2006, 02:22 PM
i think in your case for the best sound i would go with 2 instead of 4,2 will be louder and sound better most often.

If he has enough amp to power 4 correctly, why would 2 be louder? daily not spl

Ryan Autry
11-26-2006, 06:32 PM
**** 10's and 12's.

(8) Assassin 8's in a fiberglass bottom ported enclosure with raising the seat 1.5"

Give them ~3,000rms and they'll wang. I promise. ;)

springy101
11-26-2006, 06:37 PM
thats a good idea, you should just try to do a bunch of assassin 8's, they'll be a hell of a lot easier to work with.

kicker06
11-26-2006, 07:53 PM
If he has enough amp to power 4 correctly, why would 2 be louder? daily not spl

Airspace.

OneKrazyKeebler
11-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Airspace.

Gotcha.

I just love the idea of 8 ***'s under the back seat.
LOL, way with words.