PDA

View Full Version : Cerwin Vega Foam Surrounds

djmadfx
11-22-2006, 03:33 AM
Some guy had the Cerwin Vega SW-12B subwoofer in the FREE section of Craigslist last night. I emailed him and picked it up today. The surround was pretty much crumbling. I did an emergency surround repair AKA duct tape. There was some foam left on there, so the woofer was still quite balanced (no voice coil rub or anything). It sounds fine now and whatnot... can't crank it too much because people in the house are sleeping.

Anyway, I was looking at the speakers below (ebay link). After seeing how the surround crumbled on the subwoofer that I got today, I was worried about if it would happen again to me that easily on speakers below in the auction. How are everyone elses encounters when it comes to the foam surrounds? Are there any butyl-rubber surrounds for the Cerwin Vegas? How do the surrounds look on the speakers in the auction? Should I be worried? Thank you

(Yes, I do realize that the shipping is $150, which would make the speakers overpriced. I am going to do a local pickup, so it'll only cost me around $60 total.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220050150198&rd=1&rd=1

joetama
11-22-2006, 10:54 AM
You can't always tell from a picture but those look to be in pretty good shape. The big factor with those type surrounds in cheaper type speakers is age and moisture. Email the seller and ask him questions about how old they are exactly, where they were, if they were ever exposed to a very moist environment...

djmadfx
11-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Yea, I noticed with the woofer that I picked up that the crumbling surround felt like it had some moisture in it. It was weird...

djmadfx
11-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Anyone else?

djmadfx
11-25-2006, 02:32 AM
Just posting a little update...

I won the speakers for $16.50 + $50 pickup fee. They both work nicely. I can't wait to crank them. I haven't had a chance yet.