PDA

View Full Version : cutting plexi

Wkerat
01-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Do I need a special blade for my table saw to cut plexiglas?

Savant
01-05-2003, 11:57 PM
I don't think you want to cut plexi on a table saw.. But, yeah, if you end up doing that you can't use a normal blade.. you will shatter the plexi (or at least I think)..

Your best bet is to scar the plexi with a scarring tool and break it that way (at least that's the way I think you do it, haven't done it in a LOOOOONG while)..

ss3079
01-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Wkerat
Do I need a special blade for my table saw to cut plexiglas?

I've never changed my blade in my table saw...I either use a rip blade or a finishing blade...

It really smells though...I personally hate the smell...its gross...

- Steve

mwess
01-05-2003, 11:58 PM
My grandpa sells plexiglass. and i have cut it with a bandsaw... it cuts really easy... the problem is it gets hot and where you have already been it kinda melts back together. do you know how to bend it?

Wkerat
01-06-2003, 12:01 AM
I have no idea how to bend it. I am going to use it on one side of a sub enclosure. I just have no idea how I will cut it so if anyoen knows a way better than the table saw please let me know...

Wkerat
01-06-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by ss3079
I've never changed my blade in my table saw...I either use a rip blade or a finishing blade...

It really smells though...I personally hate the smell...its gross...

- Steve

Is it hard to cut with a table saw?

ricerdude
01-06-2003, 12:04 AM
i have cut plexi glass with a table saw and it worked very well...cut it like butter.... but if you are doing straight lines you put a metal ruler on the glass where you want the cut and run a sharp rasor blade along it a couple of times and then break it....that works.

Wkerat
01-06-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by ricerdude
i have cut plexi glass with a table saw and it worked very well...cut it like butter.... but if you are doing straight lines you put a metal ruler on the glass where you want the cut and run a sharp rasor blade along it a couple of times and then break it....that works.

Will that work for 3/4 in plexi?

evo2k3
01-06-2003, 12:09 AM
its scoring...not scaring ! :) anyways you could score and break that, but it would be hard.....table saw will work fine, they make acrilic blades for circular saws that they sell at home depot, i have a radial arm saw that i was able to mount the 7.25" cirular saw blade on....if you cant mount it on the table saw, put it in a circular and set a jig....the blades work really well.

Savant
01-06-2003, 12:14 AM
Shows what I know :rolleyes:

mwess
01-06-2003, 12:14 AM
If anyone is interested in bending it its very simple, i havent used anything bigger than 1/4" though. WE have some bare wires under a peice of leather type stuff(not really leather) and it bends it realy fast with some coaxing.

Wkerat
01-06-2003, 12:16 AM
Thanks for all the help, I will get a blade tomorrow, I have a few days since I had to order the plexi.

paikiah
01-06-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by ricerdude

That works up to 5mm or so...

Now, tell me how you'd snap off 3/4" plexi?

I tried using dremmel, jigsaw, etc... all of'em messes it up... what I did was cut it with a jig, then sand the plexi slowly with a fine sandpaper... Oh, and when cutting, make sure you use lubricating grease specifically for jig cutting...that'd help a tad...

Bending Plexi... if it's a small cylindrical plexi, shouldn't have much problems with a tub of hot water... but with thick plexi, never tried... I remember seeing somewhere that they had to make special vaccumn contraptions just to get the bends in the plexi...

update me should you find out how~:)

ss3079
01-06-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by paikiah
what I did was cut it with a jig, then sand the plexi slowly with a fine sandpaper...

If you have lots of blades marks from the blade of the jigsaw/bandsaw, next time try a fine file to remove them first, then take the sandpaper(180-220 grit) and it will polish things right up.

Is it hard to cut with a table saw?

It cuts like nothing.

- Steve