PDA

View Full Version : Alpine 9835

IamDeMan
11-21-2006, 07:58 PM
I was using a RAVDVD1 because I planned on adding at least 2 screens for long road trips before this. That idea changed when I bought my wife a laptop. No longer need the video tied into the car stereo. I use an FM transmitter on the laptop and its fine.

The RAV DVD doesnt have too many "audio" feature set and isn't easy to use IMO. So I got an Alpine 9835 from iceteebone in a trade deal. It seemed like a sweet little unit. An XO section(2 way or 3way, full slope manipulation) that I have never seen personally in a radio. As well as a great 5 band para eq. I got it from him with the Ipod adapter included. All these features made me accept his offer.

BTW, unit arrived lightning quick and packed well. Iceteebone is a great seller/trader.

So I install this piece. I first learned that you can't operate this radio fully without actually reading the manual that comes with it. That was a first for me. Even after reading, I find navigation a bit of a joke with this HU. I like the style of the Alpine. Goes great in my dash. I am severely dissapointed with the colors. I thought all the LEDs on this faceplate changed, but only the 4 main buttons do. What a crock. The Ipod navigation is so ****ing RETARDED! It is so retarded that I will get the AUX input adapter to replae the Ipod adapter and just navigate songs/albums/lists with the Ipod itself. I will say this again, Ipod NAVIGATION *****!

I have my XOs set on my amp currently and didn't feel like taking the plae off to turn them off. So needless to say I didn't play with this HUs XO section. The EQ section once you learn it is AMAZING. For an HU this is one hell of an advanced EQ IMO. A few more bands would always be nice, but this is useful. My cars window defroster/antennae must ****, because I still can't pull in stations good. My RAV never did either. The bio lite screen is easy to read in just about any situation. It is very easy on the eyes at night as well.

All in all I like the HU much better than my old RAV simply because it is geared toward music and packs a lot of features. It could just stand being a little more user-friendly.

BTW, does anyone know what I would need to get XM and an AUX input for this radio?

vpkb1998
11-21-2006, 08:50 PM
I have the 9855 which is not much different than the 9835. I love it, navigation is simple once you get a hang of the layout.

The XO is very good for a single din. Regarding the radio, I was able to pull in every local radio station out here and they're crystal clear too. Did you get the proper adaptor, so the antenna gets power?

I didn't like the IPOD navigation either and it's only able to seek 240 tracks; I solved this problem by selecting my music or playlist (your friend) first before plugging it in.

1-10, i give it a 9.

99StangGt
11-21-2006, 10:30 PM
I have the same deck and the radio stations come in ok but still not sounding as good as I like so i only listen to cds. Never had ipod on this deck so I dont know anything about it. I think it acts like a cd changer so there wouldnt be much control or search. The crossovers I do like being I am running active and can adjust from the seat. Your right about the eq needing more, like 8 more bands. As far as navigating the menus, I got use to it and now its easy for me.

ngsm13
11-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Obviously you've never owned an Alpine.

I find them INCREDIBLY easy to navigate through and adjust. The last great HU Alpine made.

Also, the iPod control DOES ****. This was back when the first introduced this, and Alpine released it mid-year... after the 9835 debuted. Only iPod interfaces worth having anymore are the full-speed types.

nG

iceteebone
11-22-2006, 12:38 AM
the kca-422i is better then the 420. it truly is full speed. that deck just took a little bit to get used to. once you got it down navigating through it was fairly easy. i thought the 420 wasn't too bad, i just wished it was faster to navigate.

supa_c
11-22-2006, 12:41 AM
I find my pioneer 940 much eaiser to navigate than my alpine 9855
The knob colour changes but its like green or red only.

iceteebone
11-22-2006, 12:45 AM
i found the 860 easier to navigate then the 9835, but i'd still have the 9835

supa_c
11-22-2006, 12:47 AM
I hated my 860, got the 9855 instead.
7998's are pretty easy to navigate too

Spooby
11-22-2006, 12:53 AM
I am severely dissapointed with the colors. I thought all the LEDs on this faceplate changed, but only the 4 main buttons do. What a crock.

Might want to re-read the manual. If the 9833 can change colors on the entire faceplate then I wouldn't imagine why the 9835 wouldn't be able to do the same.

supa_c
11-22-2006, 12:58 AM
They both should....

Spooby
11-22-2006, 01:00 AM
Yep. Re-read page 23 of your owner's manual.

James Bang
11-22-2006, 01:21 AM
I find Alpines really easy to navigate through. If you know one model, then you practically can use any of their models. for the Aux in, you'll need one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-Ai-Net-to-RCA-iPod-XM-Sirius-Aux-Input-Interface_W0QQitemZ180051492151QQihZ008QQcategoryZ 60208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

IamDeMan
11-22-2006, 06:54 AM

Will do, thanks.

IamDeMan
11-22-2006, 06:55 AM
I find Alpines really easy to navigate through. If you know one model, then you practically can use any of their models. for the Aux in, you'll need one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-Ai-Net-to-RCA-iPod-XM-Sirius-Aux-Input-Interface_W0QQitemZ180051492151QQihZ008QQcategoryZ 60208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is there a way to get both XM and aux though?

96GTIVR6
11-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Is there a way to get both XM and aux though?

Yes, you would have to use the alpine specific XM box, the TUA-T020XM with another AiNet input, or I belive the XMDirect unit has this same feature, and then use a KCA-121B.

Alternatively, there is an AiNet adaptor the KCA-801B that would allow you to use the auxillary built into the KCA-801B, as well as a changer, or XM tuner.

I have a 9835 and I like it better then the 9855 I've had in the past.
As stated before though, the navigation is better on the Pioneer DEH-P860MP, but the 9835 is still VERY easy to use for everyday functions, and programming the audio settings is only slightly more complex.

Yes the buttons are color selectable.

IamDeMan
11-22-2006, 09:07 AM

I did re-read and still only the 4 main buttons change. I will document with video tonight. All my backlights and buttons remain green while the main 4 change.

IamDeMan
11-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Obviously you've never owned an Alpine.

I find them INCREDIBLY easy to navigate through and adjust. The last great HU Alpine made.

Admittedly no I haven't but from what I have owned, I personally don't find it it that easy or ergonomic. I am glad you have found them to be to your liking in navigation.

Navigation or not, the main importance is that this head unit has it where it relly counts in its audio features. So the navigation is really not important and only a personal preference/oppinion.

ngsm13
11-22-2006, 01:53 PM
When you are in the multicolor illumination menu, press source or band... I can't remember which one...

The rest of the buttons you can toggle b/w green... and amber.

:fyi:

nG

96GTIVR6
11-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Admittedly no I haven't but from what I have owned, I personally don't find it it that easy or ergonomic. I am glad you have found them to be to your liking in navigation.

Navigation or not, the main importance is that this head unit has it where it relly counts in its audio features. So the navigation is really not important and only a personal preference/oppinion.

Perhaps you just haven't spent enough time with it yet. I doubt you need to change the complex menus, (EQ, T/A, and X-over) other then the presets while driving anyway...

IamDeMan
11-30-2006, 06:19 PM
I have another problem I can't seem to rectify. Ever since I switched head units, I have turn-on thump now. I didn't before. I don't understand why because I thought that had more to do with the amps than head units, plus most amps have soft turn on nowadays anyway.

IamDeMan
11-30-2006, 06:21 PM
When you are in the multicolor illumination menu, press source or band... I can't remember which one...

The rest of the buttons you can toggle b/w green... and amber.

:fyi:

nG

Yes I can toggle the rest of the buttons between green and amber. I thought you would be able to change them to any color though via the multicolor menu, but you can't. So that feature is teh ghey. Who wants 4 pink buttons with the rest green? I want them all pink dammit!

James Bang
11-30-2006, 06:28 PM
the a.proc button on the remote comes in handy.

for the turn-on thump, is your amps remote leads coming from the HU? if not, it might mean that your amps are turning on before you HU, therefore causing the 'thump'.

IamDeMan
12-01-2006, 09:32 AM
the a.proc button on the remote comes in handy.

for the turn-on thump, is your amps remote leads coming from the HU? if not, it might mean that your amps are turning on before you HU, therefore causing the 'thump'.

That must be it. I have always used a fused link straight to an ignition section of the fuse panel. I do this for a couple reasons but one is that I can test and play with the amps without a head unit by using any Ipod/walkman type deal. It comes in handy when troubleshooting sometimes IMO. My old head unit turned on before the amps so this wasn't an issue. The Alpine has some feature where output is delayed and volume is slowly ramped up when first turned on. I am guessing it is this feature combined with me using the fuse panel as remote lead that gives me this then. I will have to get in and switch my remote lead to the HU.

I haven't even play with the remote lol. I usually put the remotes back in the box and store them in the closet because I could never figure out a logical reason to use one in a car.

James Bang
12-01-2006, 12:20 PM
if you'd still like to be able to have your 'test play' function then you can just add a switch, but that gets a little inconvenient having to turn the switch off and on every time you get enter or leave your car. I had to do that cause the remote turn on lead didn't work on my head unit.

supa_c
12-01-2006, 01:59 PM
All you need is a cheap $5 relay.

IamDeMan
12-01-2006, 02:46 PM
if you'd still like to be able to have your 'test play' function then you can just add a switch, but that gets a little inconvenient having to turn the switch off and on every time you get enter or leave your car. I had to do that cause the remote turn on lead didn't work on my head unit.
I did the switch way back in High school and had a few too many days with a dead battery. So I don't even contemplate that anymore.