PDA

View Full Version : XXV-01d Ground Help

z400rdr
11-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey, I just purchased a Kenwood xxv-01d off ebay and need a little help grounding this thing. I had a good grounding spot behind the head unit but when I was connecting the wires I guess one of them touched and messed everything up. Now I cannot find a ground inside the car anywhere. The only way the head unit will work is if I ground it to the battery. My amp for my sub also won't turn on now because the ground it had won't work. How do I get the grounds working again?

Thanks, Matt

BoomBoomBoy
11-22-2006, 03:45 AM
This doesn't make any sense. The whole sheet metal body of your car is a grounding plane. How did you determine no other ground other than the battery wouldn't work?

If you shorted something out, maybe you fried your deck.

hatemonger
11-22-2006, 03:54 AM
This doesn't make any sense. The whole sheet metal body of your car is a grounding plane. How did you determine no other ground other than the battery wouldn't work?

If you shorted something out, maybe you fried your deck.

^^^x2^^^. and why are you installing anything with the battery running power? you need to unhook the - before doing anything.

dleccord
11-22-2006, 03:59 AM
are you using a harness for you car? becareful before you mess up that nice deck.

jiggy2dmax
11-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Sounds like you blew a few fuses, maybe the even the remote lead on the deck. BTW: grounding to the battery is prolly the worst ground ever.

z400rdr
11-22-2006, 01:54 PM
^^^x2^^^. and why are you installing anything with the battery running power? you need to unhook the - before doing anything.

I did unhook the neg. of the battery but when i hooked up the ground, then the acc and power and connected the battery back up, it wouldn't turn on.

The front left speaker wire came loose and touched metal around the time I couldn't get a ground. Would that have had something to do with it?

I hooked everything back up and it's turning on now but my sub amp isn't turning on for some reason. I have it hooked the same way before I got this deck. Grounded in the same place and everything. I don't know, it isn't making any sense.

I love the new Kenwood btw.:)

BoomBoomBoy
11-22-2006, 01:59 PM
JMHO, but you really can't do any kind of electrical troubleshooting w/o a DMM or test light.

Man up and spring $20 for a DMM at Sears or $5 for a test light at AutoZone. Otherwise, you're doing a Stevie Wonder.

You may have blown the turn on circuit in your h/u, but w/o testing voltage at your amp's remote connection its hard to say.

dleccord
11-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Sounds like you blew a few fuses, maybe the even the remote lead on the deck. BTW: grounding to the battery is prolly the worst ground ever.

how is grounding the the battery the worst ground ever?

lilmaniac2
11-22-2006, 02:46 PM
how is grounding the the battery the worst ground ever?

x2

grounding to the battery is the best ground possible...

Newb