PDA

View Full Version : Box ?

Wkerat
01-05-2003, 10:06 PM
I was building a box for my brahma today and while not thinking had a friend make a cut as I was predrilling some holes. Anyway, the board he cut went off the slightest bit and I have a gap of possibly a half a millimeter or smaller. I was wondering if the wood glue and liquid nails will seal this or if i should either sand the board(if i can, i did not have time to look at is really closely) or cut a new one?

80_Cutlass_mn
01-05-2003, 10:17 PM
With that sub that box will be put under some really high pressures and I would recommend cutting another peice if you have the material.;)

evo2k3
01-05-2003, 10:19 PM
half a mill?!?!?!?! thats nothing man....glue screw and seal it up and it will be fine....thats so freaking small.

Wkerat
01-05-2003, 10:21 PM
yeah it is super tiny, I can just fit the tip of a metal ruler in it, but I know the brahma puts a lot of pressure on a box so I wanted to double check. I may try to see if I cannot fix it with a little sanding since I did not have time to look at it very closely.

80_Cutlass_mn
01-05-2003, 10:23 PM
If I was you I would prolly try and seal it up with something like alot of silicone or something similar. It should hold up but that sub will put it to the test lol But there is only one way to find out if it works, go for it;)

Wkerat
01-05-2003, 10:25 PM
I have fiberglass resin and hardener, liquid nails, wood glue, and silicone all at my disposal so any ideas onwhat to use?

80_Cutlass_mn
01-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Id sayt the fiberglass resin should hold better than all the others. I think youll be alright;)

Wkerat
01-05-2003, 10:30 PM
thanks, i will work on it tomorrow and see what i can do, i have to do some paint work on it and have some time to mess around since it is going to have a plaxiglas side but I don't have the plexi yet :(. I also have another box to make, but will make sure not to let my friend make any cuts this time...This is my first time making a wedge shaped box and I must say rectangular boxes are a ton easier whan making cuts...

Savant
01-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Some fiberglass resin mixed with sawdust spread on the inside seam should seal that up pretty darn good.. your best bet would be to put a strip or two of fiberglass tape/resin in there if you have it..

But, good glue and strong screwing/securing will probably be enough..

violator5spd
01-05-2003, 10:34 PM
all that stuff you mentioned might work, but if you just cut a new piece then it would definitely work...

Wkerat
01-05-2003, 10:34 PM
I will have to see what I have, I work at a marina and am using the shop there so I should have almost any fiberglass related material I need...

80_Cutlass_mn
01-05-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Wkerat
I will have to see what I have, I work at a marina and am using the shop there so I should have almost any fiberglass related material I need...

Holy **** man your lucky! I would have a really cool cutom made fiberglass box made for my car if I worked at a place like that:D

Savant
01-05-2003, 10:36 PM
That being the case, a layer or two of glass tape on that seam will seal it up beautifully.. (2" tape, 1" on each side)...

Savant
01-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by 80_Cutlass_mn
Holy **** man your lucky! I would have a really cool cutom made fiberglass box made for my car if I worked at a place like that:D

No chit.. me too.. trying to see about getting supplies... it *****.. having an access to a glass shop would be sooooo kick a s s... I'm thinking of trying to see if I can find a boat repair shop around here and have them blow glass inside my fabbed base, save me a ton of work layering up by hand..

Wkerat
01-05-2003, 10:45 PM
I would do a glass box but I would have to hand lay it all and don't have the time for that right now. I may do that in the future for my car but the 2 boxes I am building now are for our demo boat and the mdf works perfectly for where they are going. I just threw a few screws in the box and it fits perfectly so I do not want to mess with it too much, that is why i am looking for a way to seal the hole...I think a little sanding will work really well but i still may have a tiny gap...Also, I did not have a chance to see if he cut it short or if there is a tiny hump where he did not go straight.